• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Another dev whose game was PC/PS4 exclusive/crossplay since day one is complaining when they decided not to go exclusive anymore and want ridiculous demands from a company that has already announced that they support crossplay and are in beta phase?

SKY. IS. BLUE.

Let me requote this beautiful photo for things to come:

1ejFaW7.jpg

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
100%, this issue has been grossly overblown because MS started using it as a "Look what we are doing and Sony is not". There are bigger issues with Sony like a lack of PSn refunds, yet we never see articles or barely any talk about it... After saying that Sony needs to stop this dragging their feet it's dumb. They are just giving themselves bad PR time and time again, and no one benefits.
Not exactly, it really started blowing up when people found out they couldn't use their Fortnite accounts on Switch because PSN locked them out. Epic (not Microsoft) is the main reason this movement's gained much real traction.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Good, I'm glad that devs are starting to lose their patience on this and calling Sony out in public.

Another dev whose game was PC/PS4 exclusive/crossplay since day one is complaining when they decided not to go exclusive anymore and want ridiculous demands from a company that has already announced that they support crossplay and are in beta phase?

Yikes.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Not exactly, it really started blowing up when people found out they couldn't use their Fortnite accounts on Switch because PSN locked them out. Epic (not Microsoft) is the main reason this movement's gained much real traction.
The account locked this is a different animal though, that was bad. Either way I stand by my post, it's 100% massively over blown, compared to stuff like Refunds, etc..

Good, I'm glad that devs are starting to lose their patience on this and calling Sony out in public.

Yikes.
This is just a post to ridicule, how are one word posts like Yikes allowed>? I disagree with him to but this is just trying to shame someone.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Lol at the first line of defense from apologists now being "b-but Xbox makes you pay for f2p games". As if I give shit about what happens on their end. I'm a Playstation owner and Playstation fan, I want what's best for OUR platform.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Hope more devs keep up the pressure. While Fortnite and Rocket Leaugue were an important first step, crossplay should be universal(barring technical reasons that make it not viable).

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is good for consumers.

I'm hoping Activision Blizzard and other major publishing houses start chiming in as well

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
You seem really bitter
Nah, I'm happy that crossplay is happening. The constant reminder by developers who are chasing crossplay for money is silly to me. We all know its about money to them, not the community.

None are here talking with the community, and are sitting their in their high horse writing PR articles about "We stand with teh communitay" when they stand with Benjamin Franklin and his green little face.

Everyone is about the money. Their game is losing traction and they sat down with marketing, crunched some numbers and said "CROSSPLAY! TEH NEW FAD! Fortnite must be successful due to crossplay!"

If you post shit like that user did then you will get a shit response. It wasn't worth more than one word. Nice try on the back seat modding though.

I will post shit with a shit eating grin while I take a shit in the shitter, and still get more shit out of my system. Shit talk, Randy.

uXpeOFY.gif

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The account locked this is a different animal though, that was bad. Either way I stand by my post, it's 100% massively over blown, compared to stuff like Refunds, etc..
No, cross-play/progression/buy are all the same core issue. They're all about a walled vs open garden approach to competitive networks. Microsoft and Nintendo have one position and Sony has a delay tactic.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
If you post shit like that user did then you will get a shit response. It wasn't worth more than one word. Nice try on the back seat modding though.
Fair enough it is back seat modding and i will; stop, but standards for discussion should be higher, I mean are we going to label everything you don't agree with as being a shit post? It just causes more shit posting, congrats I guess..

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: off topic commentary
I hope when they cave their next stop is getting Microsoft to drop Live for free to play games...

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I just want cross-progression from Blizzard. I want my Overwatch skins on PC dang it!

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

SKY. IS. BLUE.

1ejFaW7.jpg

Life is more enjoyable when you don't get upset at other people being upset at your favorite company.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
There's literally no reason to defend Sony for this. None. Some of these concern trolling posts here are pretty sad.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
If there's a good reason for the wait, Sony should communicate it to devs, and I'm sure in turn devs would be patient. Communication matters a lot.

If there isn't a good reason, if it's a matter of playing 'favourites', Sony should move past that quickly.

As a platform holder, Sony's a middleman between gamer and game dev. Maybe sometimes the interface between them needs to be balanced or there needs to be a trade off between the two groups. But I'm not sure that's the case here. Sony should be trying to serve game devs as far as is practical and as far as it doesn't impinge on the customer. There's kind of no more to it.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is having the exact opposite effect as intended. Having an internal conversation with Sony about this is one thing. Going on Twitter trying to publically shame them is only going to make them double down harder.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I have friends dating back to the launch of XBL on OG Xbox who abandoned the Xbox ecosystem in favor of Steam and PlayStation in 2013...and aren't ever coming back. Would be very cool to play games with them again. This is a big deal since most people know gaming friends who prefer different ecosystems.

Everyone should want this. It would increase sales of certain games since there would be more friends convincing other friends to buy multiplayer games they otherwise might not of. It's short sighted and defensive tactics to wall of cross play.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? I am all for this and want that to be the next stop. This is about removing barriers and I want that barrier removed too.

Kind of reads as a whataboutism. I agree with your assessment though; they should tear down that requirement for f2p.

However, it kind of deflects and detracts from the Sony issue, making the conversation less about "Sony is being bad right now" or w/e, and more about "Yeah, well so is Microsoft so it's fair". Maybe looking at it as "the Sony issue" is the wrong way to go about it, on second thought.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Crossplay does not need to be in beta. You fell for PR bullshit that they are using as an excuse to pick and choose games that get access.

Ganado

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017

SKY. IS. BLUE.

1ejFaW7.jpg
Amen. Go Sony! Please don't let us glorious PS4 players play with the plebs. They just want a piece of the PS4tm playerbase.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They should try to reach out to Sony first before acting like this. It's very unprofessional.

/s

It's sad if catching up to other companies is something that's supposed to generate momentum and excitement.

The fuck you mean reach out to them? They've already hit all the official channels before resorting to the only thing that seems to work.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of reads as a whataboutism. I agree with your assessment though; they should tear down that requirement for f2p.

However, it kind of deflects and detracts from the Sony issue, making the conversation less about "Sony is being bad right now" or w/e, and more about "Yeah, well so is Microsoft so it's fair". Maybe looking at it as "the Sony issue" is the wrong way to go about it, on second thought.

Read it how you want I don't really care. I'm being honest in saying I'm too old for console warrior bullshit. When this all kicks off I want to be able to play with my friends without needing to be subscribed to something I will never use. I think even though it is to do with Sony stopping with them just opening up is a waste.

The dream is crossplay for every new fighting game.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil

SKY. IS. BLUE.

1ejFaW7.jpg

I can't tell if this is a joke post or not.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
looking forward to people coming in and instead of blaming sony saying "eh who care who plays smite/paladins/realm royale anyway."

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
God damn right. So happy to see pressure still being added and that people didn't just move on from the problem. Sony needs more flack for this.
Keep putting that pressure on Sony, please also do this for PSN REFUNDS.
It's interesting though. Only time you seem to bring the issue up which you deem really important (refunds), is in unrelated crossplay threads. In those you keep repeating it, otherwise not even a mention.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this is having the exact opposite effect as intended. Having an internal conversation with Sony about this is one thing. Going on Twitter trying to publically shame them is only going to make them double down harder.

Feels kind weird to me that we entertain this notion of 'publicly shaming' Sony in this way and whether or not it's the right thing to do when in the past when corporations criticise other corporations publicly (as Sony themselves did with that sharing on PS4 video) it's actively encouraged by this site and I'd imagine in this particular example yourself. Because that's what this is ultimately- criticism, and well deserved too. Is criticism now pushing things too far..?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also prepare for a thread of "what about Microsoft charging for gold in F2P games" and "War Thunder/Paladins who?" along with "No one really cares about crossplay" and "This doesn't make business sense for Sony so why should they?". Did I miss anything?
you missed "the studio is just looking for publicity for their irrelevant game".

you're probably more concerned with someone publicly shaming sony than sony themselves.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Hell yeah. We need more of this. Pressure was what forced them to allow crossplay on Fortnite and Rocket League, we need the pressure to continue so that they stop hiding behind the "beta" nonsense and just allow it universally like they should.

Small indie games are presisely the games that need crossplay the most in order to maintain their online modes alive.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Cross-Progression would have actually really benefit Sony too with Realm Royale, as it's PS+ bonus is the Battlepass for "free."

DesiacX

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? I am all for this and want that to be the next stop. This is about removing barriers and I want that barrier removed too.

Here is the most recent thread on the Xbox Live F2P Paywall.

By bringing up the issue in these threads, "But you have to pay for Xbox Live to play F2P games" isn't viewed as an issue, but as basically a bullet point or a spot on the bingo board amongst shit people say to not blame Sony in Crossplay discussions. While the one i linked isn't, alot of the Xbox Live F2P Paywall threads on this forum can be directly tied to a crossplay thread that occurred right before it. Once Sony's beta ends or cross platform is forced open by pressure, if that discussion is still tied to crossplay, its going to die with it.

Also, actually push for the change. Until you have people telling you that nobody cares and that everyone will forget the next day, you aren't pushing hard enough.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Also prepare for a thread of "what about Microsoft charging for gold in F2P games" and "War Thunder/Paladins who?" along with "No one really cares about crossplay" and "This doesn't make business sense for Sony so why should they?". Did I miss anything?
Apparently you missed "Don't publicly shame Sony!"

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
So while it seems Sony allows it now, are they just upset that they seem to be dragging their feet on the whole "beta" timeline of this?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I think the point is with most of the publishers taking this route is that Sony isn't giving them the time of day when they ask about it or at the very least not sufficiently communicating with them.