• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dragon Age: Origins was a fucking fantastic game. I loved its subversive take on fantasy (especially how it handled Elves!). I loved its characters, and its exceptionally strong interactions. I loved the choice and consequence mechanic. I loved the roleplaying possibilities in the game. I adored the "origins", that led to six wholly different first acts for the game. I even loved the combat, and I played the damn game on consoles.

It was a great RPG with an incredible sense of identity and vision, and neither of its follow ups ever managed to live up to it. Based on jschreier's report, Dragon Age 4, good though it may end up being, will also not be something I like.

So fuck it, I don't care about the future of this IP anymore, but EA, BioWare, can I please have a remaster of Dragon Age Origins for Switch, PS4, and Xbox One now. It would be perfect for Switch. And PS4. And Xbox One (at least Xbox One can play it via BC!).

EA pls.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I remember playing it, and really, really don't liking it. A friend let me borrow his copy and I returned it in a few days. Maybe I could give it another try with Origins.

Then again, I tried Inquisition and hated that game too, so maybe no lol

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
DA:O was my favorite BioWare game replacing KOTOR. Everything about the first DA game was pure magic and DA 2, DA:I were shells of the greatness of DA:O. I recently played it and it was bittersweet as I doubt we will have a BioWare like this ever again.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
That would lead players to remember that Dragon Age was a pretty different beast originally, and they won't want a multiplayer Dragon's Age with worse writing again.
So no, sorry (but yeah, it was one of their last great RPGs).

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Is this a Remaster Begging thread for EA? Think we prefer the ol' Burnouts and Battlefields. If anything needs a remake its Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike games.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Loved it, but the combat definitely needs an overhaul. For all the love it got for being BG-like...it really wasn't.

Most skills were kind of worthless, the action too frenetic to really impart much strategy. The environments often didn't afford tactical planning or advantages for positioning. It was a mess of whack a mole with cooldowns. The super bosses were garbage to fight. Unlike the thrilling tug of war of some Infinity Engine mage duels.

I do love the lore and world though, so completely on board with an update. Also Inquisition DLC was great and left the door open for a cool sequel, but EA...

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like it would be a good decision to remaster these older works, both to get free good will from alienated fans, and to put the studio back on track working on something that's a highlight of their RPG catalog — a foundation of things they got right (some of which could benefit from touching up / rebalancing in a remaster).

But it doesn't fit with EA's modus operandi or goals, so... oh well.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the engine DA:O was made with, it would be significantly easier to remaster the full ME trilogy instead.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna happen, beside DA:O's console version aren't that good and they're gimped in many ways combat wise.

You can just play the game on PC since it will run on anything.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
A heavily modded PC version is the closest you'll ever get.

Unless they were willing to essentially remake the game in a new engine... which they won't be.

Basically, I'm now pining for a Pillars of Eternity 3 with same Pillars combat, maybe a little further fine-tuned, but a higher budget and maybe with a similar 3D exploration/ top-down combat system like DA:O had, as a way to attract more mainstream RPG gamers. But otherwise no other compromises on what makes pillars great.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I played it when it came out and promptly forgot pretty much everything about it. I then replayed it earlier this year and got about 25 hours in before realising that the reason I forgot everything about is because it's real dull.

So screw a Dragon Age Origins remaster, give me Mass Effect 1 instead.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Remaster Origins and also make the Fade a less nightmarish slog.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
They haven't even rereleased mass effect so origins fans (including me)are fucked.

One of the best RPGs I've ever played, they put in the fade so they weren't embarrassing the competition as much.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Basically, I'm now pining for a Pillars of Eternity 3 with same Pillars combat, maybe a little further fine-tuned, but a higher budget and maybe with a similar 3D exploration/ top-down combat system like DA:O had, as a way to attract more mainstream RPG gamers. But otherwise no other compromises on what makes pillars great.

Why you got to go and fill my dreams with things MS will probably never put up money for.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's a given. Surely EA didn't forget how an amazing game DAO was and are definitely working on a remaster of some kind.

Right?! RIGHT?!!

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if EA would do a BioWare collection with Mass Effect Trilogy and DA 1+2.

But really though Mass Effect first