• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
They didn't used to be bad. Property Ladder (the US version) was on from 2005 - 2007. It had people flipping houses, but it happened just before the housing market tanked.

There were some great episodes where the flippers had ridiculously overinflated prices in mind. The hostess (who was certainly easy on the eyes) would point out that they were going outside of the budget, and wouldn't make their money back at their current rate. There was a lot of schadenfreude when these people lost a bunch by being way too greedy.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I swear the property brothers be taking folks to crack houses

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't used to be bad. Property Ladder (the US version) was on from 2005 - 2007. It had people flipping houses, but it happened just before the housing market tanked.

There were some great episodes where the flippers had ridiculously overinflated prices in mind. The hostess (who was certainly easy on the eyes) would point out that they were going outside of the budget, and wouldn't make their money back at their current rate. There was a lot of schadenfreude when these people lost a bunch by being way to greedy.
Proptery Ladder was my jam, she had no chill when telling them when they were fucking up

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
My parents always watch this when I visit. I am just like... Why do you care what some random people do with their house?
Nothing can easier put me to sleep.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
hgtv is something that's on in the background that you occasionally look over at and say "huh, nice chaise longue"

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
I forgot "TV" isn't just a a large screen with apps and HDMI ports, it's also some kind of service/medium

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
HGTV wasn't as bad in the 90's and 2000's, but now its audience is mostly older white people and higher income married folks who always wanted investment property or a vacation home. its kinda like food networks transition into the late night channel people choose to fall asleep too or TLC becoming a TV version of tinder.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I may or may not be in the early planning stages for creating my dream kitchen... lol. (We won't be moving forward until the pandemic ends for the record)

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
My wife also loves HGTV. Its pretty much the last holdout channel to completely canceling cable. I find some of it interesting, but most of it is mind numbingly boring.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
My wife loves this channel and it's now caused me to have a visceral reaction whenever someone says the phrase...hrrk..."curb appeal."

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
My wife and I started watching House Hunters more than I would like to admit after we bought our house and went through the process ourselves. It's fun to fantasize about nicer houses but we also get quite a lot of enjoyment from just how dumb some of the people on the show can be with their choices and complaints about some of the house features. It also helps we watch it streaming and can fast forward through commercials.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Open floor plans make sense when the property is gigantic. You don't need a 25 room house for a family of 5

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
to be on the show you have had to already be in escrow on a house. So the other 2 houses are plants, sometimes the homes of friends and family.

imagine letting your friends film your house for the show and they spend the whole segment saying how hideous it is and how much they hate it

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Realtor: "I've managed to find a 450k dollar home the buyer is willing to sell for 350k, which is right at the amount you are somehow able to afford despite having only a single income, from your dog-walking business. It has all of the ridiculous, contradictory items you want on your insane checklist plus a pool."

20-something white woman: "Eww, I don't like that color."

20-something white man: "It's not the contemporary modern traditional farmhouse feel I want."

Middle-aged host flinging tacky-ass tchotckes and decorative garbage on every available surface: (Screeching) OPEN CONCEPT! SHIPLAP!

Announcer: Coming up, we cut half a year of renovations down to a half an hour to make it seem like just anyone can sink their life savings into flipping houses! You won't believe how easily your relatives will be suckered into this latest fad!

Beat me to it. Fuck Shiplap.

Last edited:

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Proptery Ladder was my jam, she had no chill when telling them when they were fucking up

Those were the best - "We wanted to add unique flair to the kitchen, so we spent $20k on a custom bright pink backsplash and appliances", and she was like "You know no one wants that except for you, right? You're not going to get your money back out of that".

Stone cold.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Those were the best - "We wanted to add unique flair to the kitchen, so we spent $20k on a custom bright pink backsplash and appliances", and she was like "You know no one wants that except for you, right? You're not going to get your money back out of that".

Stone cold.
Man there was one ep where it was 2 or 3 frat boys that were just goofing off and she was just done with them. I think 2 of the 3 bailed and the third got stuck with a 1/3rd done house

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Dogs can't interior design
clever-dog-drags-chair1.gif

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I hate farmhouse sinks, you are not washing babies and cleaning turkeys every day

Easy check for all involved?
Same for open concept. A lot of people say (besides entertaining) it's for keeping an eye on children while doing other things but those kids ain't staying young forever.

And maybe so. Wouldn't it be just as easy to look at an actual house for sale?

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's house hunting fiction. Is what CSI is to forensic science. It's very entertaining tho.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fun to live homeownership vicariously through a bunch of shows about gentrification.

the colour wheel show tho

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
But for real, my standard for a upscale house?
1165LF-AR_WATER_ROOM_WEB.jpg

pot filler, how you going to blow 5 to 6 digits on a kitchen and not have a pot filler?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

pot filler, how you goint to blow 5 to 6 digits on a kitchen and not have a pot filler?

Extremely underrated. Also special cabinets for corner cabinets. Fuck this horrible lazy susan shit that's in every house I'm in. The stuff just falls off in the back lost forever.

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a lot of people in this thread will get a lot of enjoyment out of McMansion Hell.

Come for the low-effort MSPaint riffs on shoddy, over-priced, over-designed houses, stay for the well-written articles on architecture and suburban sprawl.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
I know that pain, it's either this garbage that's on or its the ID channel. I honestly don't know which one I hate more.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

pot filler, how you going to blow 5 to 6 digits on a kitchen and not have a pot filler?
You only know about the good shit if you watch HGTV (we have one of those in my house and my wife swears by it, I am not as impressed).

I love HGTV. There is something I enjoy about looking at other homes and how they are built and decorated.

You might have to have a home to understand though. But for people like me in the burbs the appeal of HGTV is pretty obvious.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk, why does Canada produce 92% of these shows?

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Amen! Every single fucking one of those House Hunting shows has one of those couples, "Well the house is beautiful, 4 bedroom, 2 full baths, smart home features, pool, jaccuzi, fucking basketball court, etc.....but the kitchen is just a little too small. I can't fit 50 people in here, I need more space."

Fuck those people.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
You only know about the good shit if you watch HGTV (we have one of those in my house and my wife swears by it, I am not as impressed).

I love HGTV. There is something I enjoy about looking at other homes and how they are built and decorated.

You might have to have a home to understand though. But for people like me in the burbs the appeal of HGTV is pretty obvious.
You watch love it or list it? Some folks be living borderline foul

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Yeah, they definitely give an unrealistic portrayal of home renovations. I helped my stepfather gut and renovate a 3,000 square foot home. It took 6 months of work in the evenings and the weekend to get it done. He knew what he was doing and we still ended up taking a loss.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
ngl I did love Fixer Upper
The cost alone is nuts, I'm doing a floor right now and it's misery. Fucking junk removal a flight of stairs is goddamn hell.

I mean I do appreciate the ideas it gives though. I'm doing subway tiles, a island, super white granite and an open concept. But the budget they're workin with is just eye watering, I could do an apartment for the price of their kitchen.