• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Basically, most of the numbers (if not all) randomly generated by computers aren't actually random, as they rely on things like the clock. So what these apps do is use the same "seed" that the authenticator will want, so they both end up generating the same number.
Wouldn't this mean that anybody logging in with an authenticator app and you're username and password would be able to get in?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
You'd rather lose access to potentially thousands of dollars worth of content and put any cards at risk (if they are saved to accounts) vs the very minor inconvenience of using 2fa?!

and you don't always have to have it on you, especially if you've already logged on via that device or on that network.

I don't tie any of my cards to my accounts and I have experience dealing with customer support to get my accounts back.

It's not a "minor inconvenience". My phone's battery doesn't last an entire day anymore and I'd have to buy a new one (or at least a new battery) to have it on me at all times.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't this mean that anybody logging in with an authenticator app and you're username and password would be able to get in?
You know Minecraft?

It randomly generates a new world every new game, but you also have the option to give it a fixed "seed" value (Like "2033394339" for example).
If you generate a new world with that seed value, it will always generate the same world every time.

But you still need that seed for it to generate said value, and authentication apps generate said seed every time you set a new account on them.
So even if you use the same app, it generates different numbers for each individual user, while also generating the same value for both sides.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
You know Minecraft?

It randomly generates a new world every new game, but you also have the option to give it a fixed "seed" value (Like "2033394339" for example).
If you generate a new world with that seed value, it will always generate the same world every time.

But you still need that seed for it to generate said value, and authentication apps generate said seed every time you set a new account on them.
So even if you use the same app, it generates different numbers for each individual user, while also generating the same value for both sides.
So this makes sense to me, but don't you need to somehow connect the authenticator app you choose to the company or website you're attempting to log into? I was told that somehow these authenticators would work without that connection being made, and that's what's wrinkling my brain.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
So this makes sense to me, but don't you need to somehow connect the authenticator app you choose to the company or website you're attempting to log into? I was told that somehow these authenticators would work without that connection being made, and that's what's wrinkling my brain.

I don't think it's exactly a connection being made, but when you get that QR Code that you have to scan on your authenticator app, the info needed for the authenticator to generate the correct values is probably in that QR code.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's exactly a connection being made, but when you get that QR Code that you have to scan on your authenticator app, the info needed for the authenticator to generate the correct values is probably in that QR code.

Correct. The QR contains a unique code, just for you. This code will remain the same until you turn off 2FA or reset it. The authenticator app stores and uses this code plus the current time to generate a 2FA code.
The website has also stored your unique code and will calculate the required 2FA code. If the inputted code matches, it will let you log in.
The time based component requires that your phone has the correct time set. If it's off by too much, it will generate codes that have already expired or codes that are not valid yet.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Any experts here? I have both Google Authenticator and Microsoft Aunthenticator. I would like to use only one, but I don't know if it's hard to switch. I only have one account (my Nintendo Account) linked to Google Authenticator. Possible to switch at all? Or is it sealed in blood? Lol.

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
Any experts here? I have both Google Authenticator and Microsoft Aunthenticator. I would like to use only one, but I don't know if it's hard to switch. I only have one account (my Nintendo Account) linked to Google Authenticator. Possible to switch at all? Or is it sealed in blood? Lol.
Login to your Nintendo account and deactivate the 2Fa. Then reenable and scan the QR code with the Microsoft Authenticator. Delete the google Authenticator and never use again.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I used to have the google one but apparently if you lose that phone you are so screwed so switched to Authy, people say it isn't as bad if that happens so I hope that is the case.

Don't forget to save on a safe place / print not only the recovery codes but also a lot of people recommend to save the original QR code / key that you used to generate your 2FA.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Is it a PITA to transfer access from Google Authenticator to Authy? I've been hearing more horror stories about trying to recover accounts, and I want to try and avoid that in the future. Thankfully I only have a few accounts connected.

Edit - Ah, looks like this was already answered in a prior post. I'll have to follow through and see.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have 2FA on all my important accounts. Some still use SMS and it doesn't allow a VOIP number such as Google voice. Just anxious that I'll get simhacked one day.

One time I was really screwed was when my phone died due to the motherboard failing and that component had to get replaced. Worst thing is they had to factory reset it, so even when I got it back, I had no access and had to call customer support to remove the authenticator. So as long as I don't lose my phone or it doesn't die on me lol, I'm good.

I might transfer to Authy from GA as long as it isn't too troublesome.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Should have this thread bumped once a month, some people just don't seem to take it seriously until they're fucked.

Probably dudes skipping by this thread with 'Pa55word1234' as their password thinking they're witty and that it is enough since nothing has happened to them yet.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't own a phone tho, on PC Authy still wants a phone number.
Oh, it wants a phone number? I was ready to switch solely for that but I have no phone either, so it would be the same.
Ehh, it's fine, I've been using Google Auth for 4 years without issues and I written my backup codes if the worst has to happen.
I've also generated new passwords again with Bitwarden just last week.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Have been doing this for years. Recently added Bitwarden to the mix.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Quickly deavtivated 2FA on GA and reactivated on Authy. It prompted me to setup a password for encrypted online backups? Made a password anyway. The only account that had trouble scanning the QR code was my Yahoo one, so I had to manual enter a 20 digit code. Authy requires a phonenumber which GA doesn't. Been using GA for 5 years and had no issue outside of my phone dying.

Made new backup recovery codes and saved it on a thumb drive. I had those codes on my PC for years, so I just moved them off.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Steam allows you to just get the code as an email though. It's basically even more simple than a 2FA app.
I had no idea this was possible. I feel like it wasn't when the app authenticator first went live.

..but I just disabled my authenticator app and Steam defaulted to email authentication. Much better. I'd still prefer to use a real 2FA app though.
Don't you want those recovery codes somewhere else than on your PC?
Ideally the backup codes would be protected in a password manager of some sort. That way someone can't just break into your accounts if they have that USB stick.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I just recently moved to authy from Google authenticator. Highly recommended

I assume you have to turn off 2FA on all of your accounts secured with Google Authenticator and then re-enable them with Authy. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 accounts tied to Google Auth and some of them would be a huge pain to get new keys for (like some of my work related stuff). I know that Google's kind of sucks, but I'm not sure it's worth hours worth of effort to switch at this point.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume you have to turn off 2FA on all of your accounts secured with Google Authenticator and then re-enable them with Authy. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 accounts tied to Google Auth and some of them would be a huge pain to get new keys for (like some of my work related stuff). I know that Google's kind of sucks, but I'm not sure it's worth hours worth of effort to switch at this point.
I'm still waiting for them to add another option to 'Export' to other 2FA apps for ease of use, but it'll never happen.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally the backup codes would be protected in a password manager of some sort. That way someone can't just break into your accounts if they have that USB stick.
So another password manager for the backup codes? Not in the same ones where you store your passwords. If it ever gets compromised, they have access to your accounts.
Haven't put much thought on where to store the backup codes. Some recommend encrypting it, make a hard copy and put it in a deposit box, others say in your wallet.

As long as I don't lose my phone, I'm good. I've used my backup codes less than a handful of times.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
...why go through the whole process of setting up 2FA if you end up doing the equivalent of writing your password on a sticky note 😦
a thumb drive stashed somewhere in your house is not much of a security risk imo. even if some thief ransacked your place and stole it (and a <$5 usb drive is probably not a prime target of theft, I have a dozen of them containing absolute garbage), without also having the corresponding username/passwords they're not going to get anywhere with it. and it's very easy to put your backup codes behind a password in an encrypted zip file or w/e for an extra layer of security. this isn't the same as writing username:password on a post-it stuck to your monitor

Last edited:

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Doe Microsoft Authenticator work for Mac? I have it on iOS but would like it to have on my Mac.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
...why go through the whole process of setting up 2FA if you end up doing the equivalent of writing your password on a sticky note 😦

If someone breaks into my house, finds a hidden USB drive, AND knows how to crack a password-protected folder, then I was fucked no matter what.

Not much I can do about such determined and gifted criminals.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
I am using my mobile number for 2step with Sony, there doesn't seem to be a way to use an authenticator.

edit: I am using Google Authenticator , got confused.

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So another password manager for the backup codes? Not in the same ones where you store your passwords. If it ever gets compromised, they have access to your accounts.
I keep my backup codes in my one password database. It's not as secure as what you're suggesting but good luck getting into my password manager. Complex password, powerful encryption.Database deletes itself after a few failed attempts which stops someone that happens to steal one of my devices.

On the off chance someone manages to get my encrypted password database from the cloud and tries to break in offsite, they would also need a key file that's stored in a different location.

If someone gets through all of that (plus device-level encryption), I guess they deserve the passwords.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I've had someone try to explain it to me before but I don't get it. How do third party authenticators work when they don't have a back-end connection to the company they're providing authentication for? Like, for example, I know how the battle net authenticator works because when I'm logging into a blizzard game or the blizzard app, their authenticator app is tied to my phone and provides me with a code that only I with my phone could know. So how does a third party authenticator provide a number that Blizzard would recognize?
The simple run down is this: A 2FA code is a pre-generated static code key + time. The output you see in the authenticator is 100% predictable if you know both the initial code and what the current time is, it's not actually random. Both ends (the server & your authenticator) already know the initial code key, and they both have clocks that are in sync. Math is used to scramble the output from the initial code based on what the time is, you give the output to the server and the server compares it to its own code with the same time. It won't check codes passed a certain period of time, and the outputted codes you see aren't feasibly reversible (like hashes) so they are secure as long as no-one learns the initial key used to generate them.

This is why you don't need an internet connection, because all the variables are already known to both ends, the rest is just deterministic mathematics with time as the variable. If you always feed the mathematics the same time it would always give you back the same code (this also means if your or the server clock is wrong, your codes won't work), the methodology at play here is that the clocks are always moving forward, and the output isn't mathematically reversible in the same way as file hashes.

Last edited:

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Yeah, i spent about an hour but hearing all the horror stories about Google authenticator imploding or losing it pushed me to do it

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me that I still need to finish transferring over from Google to Authy. I used Microsoft Authenticator for a while but then it bugged out on me and refused to work with my Windows PC.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I don't get this, having it offline in your house is safer than online in the cloud. The only way to gain access is physically stealing it, and that's not the main threat.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
I understand that Authy is better than Google Authenticator minaly due to the fact that if you lose your phone, you don't lose your codes, however, you can always print screen or take a picture of the QR code you set up for the first time and just store it somewhere safe. This way, you can always reference the code if you ever need to swap your phone for whatever reason.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that Authy is better than Google Authenticator minaly due to the fact that if you lose your phone, you don't lose your codes, however, you can always print screen or take a picture of the QR code you set up for the first time and just store it somewhere safe. This way, you can always reference the code if you ever need to swap your phone for whatever reason.
Sounds more convoluted than just using Authy

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Ah this is the information I was looking for. The hurdle for me right now is understanding how the authenticator app is initially connected to the service that you're trying to log into. I'm having trouble understanding how all of this could work without that initial connection being made.

The manner in which the code is generated, which I appreciate everyone trying to explain, that part makes sense to me.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
The great thing about Authy is you have control of the multi-device access - so what I usually do is toggle it on when I get a new device I want to add, set it all up, then toggle Multi-Device off. Everything already connected will still work, but it will stop any attempt at adding additional devices. From that screen you can also see what devices have access and remove access, to the point of going nuclear and removing everything except the current device if you're not sure.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
reminder that google authenticator does not backup and automatically restore if you buy a new phone. use literally anything else

I've been using google authenticator for a while -- Since I'm fortunate enough to have both a phone and a tablet, I just export my stuff to the tablet as well, that way I have a redundancy. It's super easy/quick to copy over things between devices using the QR code

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, Swede here. I got a US account I buy a lot of ps4 games on, can I have 2FA on that as well? Would it work with my Swedish phone number?

Last edited:

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I used Google Authenticator for a while. I just never got on with the thing (code window so narrow it was often changed by the time I'd got the page to load if signal wasn't perfect).

Then I found out as I was about to get a new phone that I would be locked out if I didn't disable it on all my accounts first as it doesn't transfer over.

Yeah, Google Auth is the worst 2FA option out there. Use literally anything else over it.

This is not true. You can transfer your codes from one phone to another with Google Auth. I also don't get the issue with the "code window" being narrow, but the codes are intentionally being replaced at a fixed interval.