• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I like the Yakuza games. I got sold on them watching the old Two Best Friend Play LPs of them.

But I fucking hate Mahjong. I hate that this mini game is part of the completion list. It is so boring and frustrating because it is seemingly all based on RNG.

I am working my way through the judgment completion list and I just need to finish some Mahjong related things and some drone stuff.

Trying to play these tables on hard is a maddening experience because one of the 3 Ais just gets Riichi on the first draw and now you are shitting your pants hoping they don't Ron you and kneecap you so hard a come back is impossible.

Not to mention there is a friend locked by mahjong where you need to win with warame and there are items on the completion list where you need to win with a specific hand.

And I'm loosing my sanity looking at this board. Getting bad hands while seeing the AI is just 1 tile away from points is an awful experience.

This is a completionists problem, but I am so sick of this mini game in all of these games. I want to be excited for Yakuza 7 but seeing the main character playing mahjong already stresses me out because this mini game is the most boring and frustrating thing I have ever played this gen.

Across the 3 games I've played in this series (0, Kiwami 2 and Judgment) I think this mini game being part of the completion list actively detracts from them

I hate it so much

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
It's almost as if playing games to fulfill arbitrary completionist lists instead of playing them for enjoyment is silly and defeats the purpose of playing games in the first place!

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I tried to learn mahjong for hours. Was confused af. I think it was needed for completion on Kiwami iirc? I ended up finding some person who was really good at it and they did it for me through shareplay lol

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Mahjong, Koi-Koi and Oicho-Kabu are completely impenetrable to me. I should sit and learn them someday.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
They need to stop making it mandatory for the platinum, Mahjong sucks.

euricaeris

Oct 26, 2017
I've spent a loooot of time just playing mahjong in these games, I love it. They probably shouldn't lock things behind it though (and some of the other games, like shogi) as not everyone is gonna have the patience to learn them.

If you know the basics though, you'll get there with warame. Making crazy big hands in that mode is pretty satisfying (when they happen, lol).

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Mahjong is honestly good fun once you've actually learned the rules to it beyond just the basic. There's a lot of planning involved so that you don't get in those situations.

In other words git gud

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
No way, I love playing hours of mahjong every time a new Yakuza comes out. I learned how to play back with Yakuza 4 I think. Now Shogi is crazy hard for me and I can't even deal with the easy AI, thankfully they barely make you scratch the surface of it for completion.

Oct 25, 2017
I've enjoyed the Yakuza games to varying degrees, but almost all of the minigames are atrocious. The batting cages in particular are a nightmare.

Pool and bowling are both alright though.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Mahjong is great. We get together and play it once a week here irl. It's a pain to learn all the yaku though. At least you don't have to calculate the scores yourself in Yakuza.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I would have thought shogi would be more difficult to complete side stories than Mahjong

Oct 27, 2017
I love it. It's the only minigame I'll play after completion.

Puyo Puyo and Shogi, on the other hand, I'm not too keen on.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i had to force myself to get semi-competent at mahjong just because i was committed to getting all 50 friend connections in Judgment

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, I can relate to this, though it sounds like you at least know what you're doing.

Even after 7 games I'm apparently still too dumb to fully grasp mahjong. One of the few things in Yakuza that I never touch.

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Mahjong is the best and low key the reason I got into the Yakuza series in the first place.

That said, I just played for funsies and not for some trophy or sidequest so can't relate with the frustration.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Mahjong is a beautiful game that takes a lifetime to master and unfortunately the yakuza games illustrates mostly the worst in the game.

Mahjong is not meant to be played fishing for a specific hand, but using the tiles you're dealt with to manipulate the game into a win. To play the game the way the yakuza wants you too leads only to frustration and suffering. It's not mahjong's fault though. It's Judgement's for having such a tough achievement.

OP
OP
TheChungusAmongUs
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, I can relate to this, though it sounds like you at least know what you're doing.

Even after 7 games I'm apparently still too dumb to fully grasp mahjong. One of the few things in Yakuza that I never touch.

I have learned how to play it, but I don't know all the unique hands. My frustration comes from the fact the AI are seemingly just given amazing hands, while you get jack shit.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Coming from a MUCH simpler MUCH more straight forward HK Majong, trying to learn JP Mahjong was a fucking nightmare and I hated every second of it. After a while I understood the basics and how to win, but didn't understand any of the strategies. I just had to tap out after I looked at what the game wanted me to do for completion.

If your main hang up is dealing with all the hands and the win conditions, HK Mahjong might be more your speed. Of course that would never be in Yakuza game, but just in case you wanted to learn

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I fucking love Mah Jong and Yakuza is the reason I learned how to play.

HOWEVER, the game doesn't tell you an important thing, is that it won't automatically show you the option to Riichi when you have a potential winning hand (it will only for an open riichi). You have to press Square (I think) when you have a potential hand to make the option show up and declare Riichi.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I still don't really understand it all that well, but after playing it so much in Yakuza, I quite like Mahjong.

I think I just looked up solutions for Shogi or something?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't like Japanese Mahjong, give me Hong Kong or Filipino any other day.

At least the animations are funny.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Mahjong in real life is a pretty fun and social game though...it is luck based though.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
mahjong is better than everything else

factually

admittedly japanese mahjong rules lead to a lot of bullshit happening but thats life

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I love it, but can't stand Shogi and the card games.

I seriously play a minimum of 20 hours of Mahjong with every single release.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
It's a good thing I only do the cabaret clubs XD
Never felt the need to play any other minigame.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Can you imagine if Yakuza 4 didn't allow you to buy the silver plates at the Mahjong shop? Barely anyone in the US would have beat the game.