• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
I just got the updates pushed!

NES
  • Eliminator Boat Duel
  • Shadow of the Ninja

SNES
  • Pop'n TwinBee
  • Smash Tennis
I've never even heard of these games until now...

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they are going to deep cuts pretty early for SNES. Maybe publishers are reluctant to give out their big hitters since they could release them as purchasable collections.

Geekostrof

One Winged Slayer
Apr 18, 2019
Yeah, they are going to deep cuts pretty early for SNES. Maybe publishers are reluctant to give out their big hitters since they could release them as purchasable collections.
Dude,
Pop'n TwinBee is a REALLY Good shmup and generally considered a cult classic.
Smash Tennis is the best 16bit tennis game there is.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
oh boy, another thread where people bemoan the lack of marquee titles that have been released ad nauseam and shit on cool games they've never played before.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said elsewhere, please play Pop'n Twinbee folks. One of the best shoot-'em-ups on the SNES/SFC!

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
oh boy, another thread where people bemoan the lack of marquee titles that have been released ad nauseam and shit on cool games they've never played before.

I totally get this, but also, what if Nintendo just let people buy the marquee titles that they want to play on this particular hybrid console and then put out the more obscure stuff on this online service?

Pop'n Twinbee is dope, though. '90s Konami is pretty much unfuckwitable except for maybe Castlevania 64.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
They don't sound familiar but then I remember seeing those game covers at the rental place as a kid when I would pass them over to rent something good.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

i'm not a fan of the trickle either. but people will basically use their frustration as an excuse to shit on games they've never played-- much less heard of.

They don't sound familiar but then I remember seeing those game covers at the rental place as a kid when I would pass them over to rent something good.

you remember seeing Pop'N'Twinbee for rent in North America when it was never released here?

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Dude,
Pop'n TwinBee is a REALLY Good shmup and generally considered a cult classic.
Smash Tennis is the best 16bit tennis game there is.
Not trying to insinuate they are bad games. I look forward to playing them but it is a bit odd to get them before some of the big hits.

Edit: The only real issue I have with the service is the drip feed of games.

OP
OP
wiggler

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
I played a little Eliminator and it seems pretty good for NES racing game, with the multiple perspectives/modes in each race. Also the Tommy Chong ripoff opponent is pretty funny.

Shadow of the Ninja seems like an alright 2D action platformer. 🤷‍♂️

Haven't touched the SNES games yet, but a couple people seemed pretty jazzed about them. Looking forward to trying them out.

Sorry I'm not older haha

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Pro-tip: You can cast a lighting spell in Shadow of the Ninja by holding down the attack button for a while.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being proud to be seen in public as a Twinbee hater.
RgWQWxC.png

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Pretty much. I'm not expecting to see third party big hitters in here, but it's weird that Nintendo is saving their first party games.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda surprised Square Enix hasn't ported the PC version of Chrono Trigger to consoles yet. They spent a lot of time fixing it.

Square does a lot of questionable things. FFT:WoTL, that FFIV complete on the psp, etc, would all find decent nostalgia fueled sales on PC and consoles and probably wouldn't be too much effort to port over. They could probably even outsource it. But for whatever reason, they don't.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
How this service is still worse than the Virtual Console ever was is mind boggling.

It's a rights thing.

For one example: why would SquEnix give away FF4 or 6 for "free" when they could just sell it themselves on the eShop and get more money? (Though if they dipped into Enix titles beyond DQ for anything, old or new, that'd be grand)

Second: a lot of older games will be in a rights quagmire which, sadly means they're less likely to appear.