• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I saw fireworks goin' off last night an thought it owned! Every real holiday should have some! *

* the ones that make pretty lights an stuff. not the stupid ones that don't and are just big dumb explosions

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
So you immediately make a hypothetical of a dance party? Noise happens on the holidays. I don't know what to tell you. Most people are partying, being loud, etc. It's basically what holidays are for a lot of people.
I made the hypothetical because it would be noise that is outside the norm. Of course some level of noise is going to happen on the holidays, we've already established that. There is a vast difference between fireworks and laughing- one causes animals and people with ptsd adverse effects, one does not. If anything my hypothetical is generous because it doesn't mention those things.
You cannot expect people to tip toe around others on the holidays or go around to each house within firework noise range to let them know. It becomes unreasonable eventually.
How is it unreasonable? If you are going to be the source of large amount of noise it should be base level decency to let people know about it who will be effected by it. If you can't even do that, that's pretty messed up. Maybe don't make so much noise.
Pet owners should be prepared for louder days if their pet is afraid of loud noises similar to pets who behave more aggressively or afraid due to every day visual or audio triggers. My mom keeps her cat in her room if fireworks are heard, she pads up the windows with pillows and keeps the TV running to drown out any outside noise.
Why should the onus be on the victims of the noise, and how would they even know when the noise would happen because as you've stated, it's unreasonable to give people a heads up. What is a pet owner isn't home when it happens? What if they are wearing headphones and their dog is in another room?
People aren't going to stop partying or celebrating the holidays. There's too many out there doing it. It's easier for recipients of this noise to find ways to block it. I doubt any kind of social change is going to happen where people stop making noise on holidays.
Nobody said anything about not celebrating. We are specifically talking about fireworks. I assure you the vast majority of people do not set off fireworks. It is objectively not easier for people effected by the noise to find a way to deal with it, that is an active action while not doing fireworks is the lack of action. And no, social change will not happen until people speak out, which is what I'm here doing.
If all else fails, call the police and register a noise complaint.
It's not a great idea to count on police for anything. It would not have to get to that point if people who used fireworks would have some common courtesy.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Getting on other peoples nerves with loud noise during the time of the year most want to spend some peaceful quiet time sure is fun! It's also totally in the spirit of Christmas.

At least on NYE it's expected (I wouldn't be bothered if private fireworks were outlawed altogether though) but definitely fuck off with that noise during Christmas.

Fireworks are permissible by law in my town from Christmas eve until January 3rd so I'll set some of if I damn well please.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully it's only 4th of July where I am. But the 4th of July is pretty much a month long for me. And all people fucking do in my city is light m80s or whatever other fireworks that just sound like loud booms.

I also have a dog and that freaks her out constantly. And I've lived in some bad neighborhoods in my life. Recently moved out of one where a police shootout almost happened next door to me.

So yeah, I'm the no fun allowed robot when it comes to fireworks. They can get fucked.

Nov 19, 2017
I'm in a part of Australia where fireworks are illegal, there is currently a fire ban in place and people in the neighbourhood were still setting off a few.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My two dogs are freaking out hard, shaking and crying because people want FIFTEEEN FUCKING MINUTES of nonstop fireworks to celebrate Christmas. Why do you even need them, can't you just fucking celebrate without loud bangs and lights. Are they really necessary, considering not even everyone celebrates Christmas? Fuck.

Could be some sort of sports. Around here people light off fireworks when the Seahawks win or score.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Sometimes I love not having neighbors... Living in the middle of bumblefuck .. population of 4 in the deepest darkest Pennines pays off for once.

Christmas fireworks... Fuck me have a word.. just get drunk and watch and Gavin and Stacey

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Visiting family in GA. We're a little ways from ATL (Gwinnett County) but heard multiple houses shooting off fireworks around midnight. The scene where the army shoots down Jack Skellington in Nightmare Before Christmas kept playing through my head.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Never in my life have I heard of it, and thankfully it never happens anywhere I've lived. People really make up any kind of excuse to use fireworks, huh?

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I do have a bunch of leftover fireworks from the 4th of July and I hadn't even considered lighting them off for Christmas. Brb.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Cheap fireworks were banned, so xmas and new years is significantly quieter.

I suggest blast some music so your dogs can't hear fireworks.
It's what we''ve been doing every xmas and new years.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
More fireworks tonight. Guess this is just gonna be a nightly fucking now thing until Jan 10 or something.

God I hate living in a kicker enclave.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
You decided to get a pet do not make other people traditions change because of your own choices. Let people have fun.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I saw fireworks goin' off last night an thought it owned! Every real holiday should have some! *

* the ones that make pretty lights an stuff. not the stupid ones that don't and are just big dumb explosions
Those are the ones that people mostly like to fire. Imagine your neighbors tossing one out on the road every 5minutes, presumably drinking beers, for about the next four hours. You think you are about to fall asleep and then pop again. People do that shit.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
In the US where I've lived fireworks on Christmas just seems weird to me. However, 6 days later on New Years Eve... that's when you should be lighting all your fireworks!

What blows my mind is that my neighbors, that have a 2 month old puppy, have been lighting up some of the loudest ones.
Not all dogs have problems with fireworks - in fact, that's a good way to train your dog to not be afraid, by introducing them to fireworks at a young age and showing them that it's not a big deal (another way, oddly, is to not comfort your dog during it - don't treat it like a big deal yourself and your dog may follow suit after a bit).

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You decided to get a pet do not make other people traditions change because of your own choices. Let people have fun.
This is some screwy logic haha

A person having a pet does not effect the lives of the people around them, assuming they are good owners. That is entirely different than placing a burden on other people unwillingly.

It is wild the lengths people will go to justify bugging their neighbors and scaring animals.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God yes. Some asshole in my neighborhood started shooting them off last night around 11pm, and I sat there thinking, "If that wakes up my daughter while I'm trying to get presents wrapped, somebody is going to die."

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Can we stop using fireworks during any holiday? or at the very least stop using them near peoples homes? They are very annoying when you're trying to get some sleep. And yeah the way they freak out animals is sad to see. Before he died I remember one of my dogs would hide in the bathroom & pee himself because of the noise. My current dogs don't that when they hear fireworks thankfully, but the sound still freaks them out.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Can we stop using fireworks during any holiday? or at the very least stop using them near peoples homes? They are very annoying when you're trying to get some sleep. And yeah the way they freak out animals is sad to see. Before he died I remember one of my dogs would hide in the bathroom & pee himself because of the noise. My current dogs don't that when they hear fireworks thankfully, but the sound still freaks them out.
I feel like, for the people who enjoy them, the response is "if you don't like it, put headphones on, move your dog to the basement if you have one, or just move."

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Fireworks again tonight in my hood. I guess if you bought some for last night you got leftovers.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never heard of fireworks for Christmas and they sound crazy, but I'm willing to bet the folks who put on and likely enjoyed the show didn't have dogs in mind, nevermind yours. If it's legal where you are, it's on you to handle the animals you chose to own.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Never heard of fireworks for Christmas and they sound crazy, but I'm willing to bet the folks who put on and likely enjoyed the show didn't have dogs in mind, nevermind yours. If it's legal where you are, it's on you to handle the animals you chose to own.
It does not take a rocket scientist to know that loud bangs are disturbing to the neighborhood even if they didn't have dogs, or people with ptsd, or children or adults trying to sleep in mind. Legal does not automatically equal appropriate, hate speech is legal.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It does not take a rocket scientist to know that loud bangs are disturbing to the neighborhood even if they didn't have dogs, or people with ptsd, or children or adults trying to sleep in mind. Legal does not automatically equal appropriate, hate speech is legal.
I'm not a massive fan of fireworks, but you'll have an uphill battle arguing that fireworks, internationally central to countless holidays/traditions globally, are even loosely comparable to hate speech. Fireworks have a lot more going for them than legality.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm not a massive fan of fireworks, but you'll have an uphill battle arguing that fireworks, internationally central to countless holidays/traditions globally, are even loosely comparable to hate speech. Fireworks have a lot more going for them than legality.
I'm only making the comparison that not everything that is legal is inherently good or right, not placing fireworks and hate speech in the same category

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I grew up with fireworks for New Years. Never heard of this Christmas tradition.
But here in Vancouver we have this bizarre tradition of enjoying fireworks during Halloween. Doing it on one of the rainiest months makes no sense to me but there you go.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah, I heard some faint pops earlier in my neighborhood. Pretty much any holiday someone in the area decides to pop off a couple, but normally nothing too serious. Thankfully my dog doesn't get bothered by fireworks, but it's annoying.

New Years is going to be a shit show.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm only making the comparison that not everything that is legal is inherently good or right, not placing fireworks and hate speech in the same category
I addressed that. Even outside the law, there's a difference between what you value and what others might. A few encounters with fireworks a year in satisfaction of often broadly valued holiday traditions seem fine to me.

Full disclosure, I'm not concerned with dog problems, but I hope you'll enlighten me when it comes to the actual rates on interactions with PTSD. I haven't heard anything about it, but I could absolutely flip my view on the appropriateness of fireworks if they are more than incidentally problematic.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Christmas fireworks would be a bit weird, but dog owners getting all sanctimonious about noise is a bit rich.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I addressed that. Even outside the law, there's a difference between what you value and what others might. A few encounters with fireworks a year in satisfaction of often broadly valued holiday traditions seem fine to me.

Full disclosure, I'm not concerned with dog problems, but I hope you'll enlighten me when it comes to the actual rates on interactions with PTSD. I haven't heard anything about it, but I could absolutely flip my view on the appropriateness of fireworks if they are more than incidentally problematic.

Loud noises can be a problem for many people

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
LOL dog owning OP complaining about fireworks disturbing dogs. How bout I (a non dog owning person) go on a rant about all the problems dogs cause?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

I don't have numbers, it's not just veterans though to be fair. Survivors of gun violence, people with sensory disorders, or anxiety disorders could also be adversely effected, that is on top of people just trying to sleep or get their kids to sleep. I guess it comes down to how much of the peace of other human beings are you willing to risk to watch things go boom.

And sure, I'm not saying abolish fireworks necessarily, it can be done in a way where people are informed they will be happening at least. Check with your neighbors first. Towns can do them away from residential areas at scheduled times and give plenty of notice. If you value the peace of other people and animals, of course you're going to want to give a heads up.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
And sure, I'm not saying abolish fireworks necessarily, it can be done in a way where people are informed they will be happening at least. Check with your neighbors first. Towns can do them away from residential areas at scheduled times and give plenty of notice. If you value the peace of other people and animals, of course you're going to want to give a heads up.

There are quiet fireworks, in some places of my country only these are allowed.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is enjoying fireworks more important than dogs not being frightened by loud noises they don't understand?

Truly, one of the great debates of our age.