• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
As much as gaming is addictive and fun, i try not to mess it up with my work because i live not only for gaming, but i have responsibles to do. I want to buy a house, having vacation abroad, so many things. If i dont work, i dont get money.

Also gaming as a hobby is fun because you dont play it all time

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I miss Garnet Lee.
One night I played Forza 2 with Garnet Lee back when he would join the crew from the old forum. The biggest celebrity experience of my life.
Yo I feel you. I once met Garnet at a midnight Gamestop launch for MGS4 in Santa Monica. Him and his buddy were randomly visiting a bunch of different stores all throughout the night, just to casually meet and talk with folks about their genuine anticipation for the game. Dude was as chill and personable as you'd expect. Will never forget how surreal that was, especially after just listening to the podcast while waiting in line lol

MrFreeze

Oct 13, 2019
I was obsessed with The 1UP Show, 1UP Yours and especially GFW Radio back in the day. These shows mark a certain period in my life. Thankfully I saved all the podcast episodes, think I'll listen to them again soon, for old time's sake. It was a different and simpler time.

Thanks for the nostalgia trip, OP!

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I miss the 1Up stuff a lot too.

The one thing that 1Up had that pretty much no other podcast/show has been able to match is a balance of conflict/rivalry and friendship. They had a huge enough cast that there would be, usually, at least 3 people who had played the same game and they often had conflicting tastes therein.

These days, podcasts generally have everyone having similar tastes and/or the tastes are so divided that no one plays the same games. So one person will briefly describe a game and say "yeah, it's good" and everyone else will nod in complacent agreement or just stay in their lane.

Part of it is that the industry has spread out so much (there's too many games and too wide a breadth of things to cover) and there's no room for work forces the size of 1Up. Also, the tenor of the industry has changed, and conflict is often seen as being to "bro-y". Which I understand. I just wish there could be more critical conflict in analyzing games that doesn't come from one outlet vocally-subtweeting another outlet or critic in a passive aggressive way.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Watching that new episode the moment it went live every week (or so) was my absolute favorite thing. It kills me that there's no equivalent these days.

Milhouse

Oct 25, 2017
I use to run home from school every Friday to watch the latest episode. Loved everything about and enjoyed all the personalities. Mielke vs Shane virtua fighter was my favourite bit.

Derko1

Oct 29, 2017
OMG... I am on a Paper Mario binge, playing through Paper Mario on the 64 now and moving through all the rest soon enough. This vid is right up my alley right now.