• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
A part from The Elder Scrolls theme can be found in Gustav Holst's Planet suite (specifically in Jupiter).
Many other famous compositions like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Gladiator etc. can be heard throughout The Planets. Really worthwhile checking it out.

Mooksoup

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The title theme from Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

The game actually has licensed music, so you have to wonder why the title theme is a copy.

this is the one I immediately thought of. I played it for the first time recently and i started singing the "Angel" lyrics as soon as i got to the title screen. Undeniable.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Sonic 2's Chemical Plant is based on a small section ripped off from Glam Slam by Prince:

Crazy that they got away with this honestly considering how bastshit obssessive Prince was over copyright and sampling

Sonic 1 and 2's composer is know for ripping off other songs in those games, but Chemical Plant seemed the most obvious. Always felt Spring Yard Zone/Every Little Step was a bit of a stretch.

Sega don't give a damn.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
The menu music for Playstation All-Stars noticeably sounds a lot like Finale by Madeon.

What makes this truly bizarre is that they actually licensed Finale by Madeon and used it in the intro cinematic to the game! You go from hearing the real thing and then hearing a facsimile the moment you press start. Why compose a new song that sounds so much like the song you already licensed?

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
I'm hearing a lot of inspired tracks here, more than plagiarized. I'm sure most of them used the inspiration as temp-tracks for the composer of the game.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
The arcade and NES game Gyruss features versions of Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" based on the band Sky's prog rock arrangement:

EDIT: Holy shit, I could've sworn I posted this a few days ago.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know if it's "totally copy" from another song but Astro Bot's theme opening reminds me of Muse's Starlight for a bit.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Get your mind blown:

Mulan's SHan Yu Theme:

God of War's overture theme:

I used to sing the lyrics of 'Lost in Hollywood' with the first notes of God of War's theme, fits perfectly:

Video's with that song don't seem to work somehow, anyway it's from 25 seconds onward if you want to check it :)

Also: sometimes the music from Sekiro sounds a lot like The Witcher 3's music.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
We Happy Few's title theme seems like an homage to 60s British TV show Randall and Hopkirk Deceased

Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts's soundtrack is absolutely chock full of them
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century

There are also pastiches of the original themes to The Love Boat, Dynasty and Dallas in there.

Apr 25, 2019
I love these kind of threads! Was this already here?

I have problems embedding the second video. Does anyone know why?

Last edited:

Sinnick

Banned
Feb 25, 2018

Loose was part of the album, Come, which released in August 1994. However, Prince performed versions of the song as early as 1993. Later versions of the Chicago track sound even closer to Loose.

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
This isn't exactly what the OP is about, but some might appreciate it as a neat bit of trivia anyway.. In the Japanese version of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, the save menu/data screen music is (at least partially) an arrangement of a song called "White Flower" by the girl band ZONE. The original song released a few months before the game, and was used as the game's image song in trailers and TV commercials. Sadly the game version was not included on the OST and was changed for both the western releases and FFTA2 (to a considerably worse song, imo.)

This is the song in the Japanese release of the game:

ZONE - 白い花 (White Flower)

And for refernce, this is the data screen music from the western release:

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I might be going crazy, but I remember listening to a mixtape (an actual one) my cousin made for me and my brother when we were little which mostly comprised of 90s pop music she recorded off the radio, and I remember this one song sounding VERY similar to Sonic Boom from Sonic CD, but I cannot for the life of me remember what the song was.