• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Looking to buy a present for my partner that is under 300$ CAD, but that fits in the following criteria: useful, stylish, thoughtful, and can be used as an accessory.

I have thought about a SmartWatch but he already has one and does not care much for it - like he doesn't use it much. I always thought a watch is such a great gift for a men, so I'm a bit at a loss. His cellphone is in pretty good condition so it's not an option neither.

I was hoping ResetEra could help me, figure it out. Oh, he dislikes video games btw. Haha.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
True wireless earbuds. Not having to deal with wires when out and about is glorious. Especially while shopping.

What smart watch do they have already though? Because that was totally going to be my first choice lol.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
How about a non-smart watch? I don't think any smartwatch manufacturer has nailed the functional jewellery look yet, and no matter which you buy, it will be obsolete before long. But standard watches are timeless and could last him a lifetime.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64666

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
True wireless earbuds. Not having to deal with wires when out and about is glorious. Especially while shopping.

What smart watch do they have already though? Because that was totally going to be my first choice lol.

I definetely thought about earbuds too. I just want to check all my options. He works out a lot in general (not during COVID), but he's excited to start again soon. So that could be a good option. Any specific suggestions?

He's not a big fan of Apple. He prefers Samsung. As for the Smart Watch, I do believe it's a Samsung watch, but I don't know the details. I'd need to further investigate this weekend. I still have two weeks to find something. lol.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I always thought a watch is such a great gift for a men, so I'm a bit at a loss.

I can't speak for him, but the idea of a watch I have to charge daily just does not appeal.

AirPods are good, and I say this as an Android fan not an Apple fan.

I mean if he wants a stylish accessory I assume you mean wearable?
There's only so many gadgets you can wear that aren't smart watches. Maybe a heart/fitness monitor that's not a smartwatch.

Tobie925

Oct 7, 2019
Bay Area
www.theadventurechallenge.com

Couples Camera Bundle

For less than the price of your last fancy date, get a year's worth of adventurous dates in a keepsake and our Signature Instant Camera to make every photo count. The Adventure Challenge: Couple's Edition It’s date night again! Are you really about to reach for the remote to turn on that same...

fun for both of you

OP
OP

Deleted member 64666

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones

Ouh that is sexy. Let me check it out.

How about a non-smart watch? I don't think any smartwatch manufacturer has nailed the functional jewellery look yet, and no matter which you buy, it will be obsolete before long. But standard watches are timeless and could last him a lifetime.

That's the thing. It's definetely more personal, but I made him complete a survey secretly about what kind of gift he wants, and he mentions he wants a gadget, specifically, while he did mention that there was no pressure. A nice classy watch could definetely be an amazing choice, but does not seem to fit what he'd want.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
You could also get him a nice quality pair of boots - Red Wing or Meermin or something. EDIT: oh he wants a gadget...hmm

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I definetely thought about earbuds too. I just want to check all my options. He works out a lot in general (not during COVID), but he's excited to start again soon. So that could be a good option. Any specific suggestions?

He's not a big fan of Apple. He prefers Samsung. As for the Smart Watch, I do believe it's a Samsung watch, but I don't know the details. I'd need to further investigate this weekend. I still have two weeks to find something. lol.
Galaxy Buds. If he has a Samsung phone especially. Either the Galaxy Buds+ or the Buds Pro would suffice.

There are other brands if he doesn't care about all of the features or tying seamlessly into a Samsung phone (if he has one), but avoid any of those below $60 if you can since most of those suck.

And if he doesn't like the Samsung watch, then shit, lol. Unless it's one of the older ones. TBH, Samsung didn't really hit their stride until they started branding them Galaxy watches. Galaxy Watch 2, Watch Active 2 (which I have), and the Watch 3 are pretty solid and stylish.

Even without all of the features, just changing the watch face and the watch band to coordinate with outfits is a plus.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Curveball: a really good electric shaver. Not an accessory but makes looking good a lot easier (unless he only looks good with facial hair).

OP
OP

Deleted member 64666

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Curveball: a really good electric shaver. Not an accessory but makes looking good a lot easier (unless he only looks good with facial hair).
I hate him, he has just gotten one recently. Like a really good one.

You all reassure me though, this is a tough one to crack. He basically is the type of person who is not missing anything, so it's always hard to find him a gift. I did get him a Pressure Cooker for Christmas and he freaked out! Loved it. So might also look into smart kitchen appliances, maybe?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I hate him, he has just gotten one recently. Like a really good one.

You all reassure me though, this is a tough one to crack. He basically is the type of person who is not missing anything, so it's always hard to find him a gift. I did get him a Pressure Cooker for Christmas and he freaked out! Loved it. So might also look into smart kitchen appliances, maybe?
Does he have an air fryer?

Oct 29, 2017
If his problem with a smart watch is that you have to charge it often, and not the watch itself, there are a number of great options for "dumb" watches in that range as well.
If he just doesn't like watches at all, you can disregard my comment.

Seiko has some mechanical watches, their model 5 range has display case backs, ranging from as low as $80, to the $300 or so range. As someone fascinated by gadgetry, I find watching the balance wheel whirl around hypnotic.
If he wears them every day, they'll wind themselves, but they're not very accurate. You'll probably have to set them once a week or so.
In my opinion they're pretty stylish, I'd feel comfortable wearing them with dress clothes or out camping, wherever.

Casio is great if you want to go digital, my favorite being the smaller g shocks,
The 5600W is $40, battery lasts for a few years, can survive being run over by a truck, and is literally rated for space.
The 5610 is about $140, just as durable, is solar powered, and gets a radio signal to set it- so it'll always be completely accurate.

I don't think the g shocks match as well if you're trying to dress up, but in my opinion are good for casual fashion/ street wear. To each their own, though.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could get him an e-reader if he's a bookworm?

If he drinks coffee or tea, an Ember mug might also be worthwhile. It's a mug with a battery and heating element in it that keeps your drink warm for hours. It sounds ridiculous (and it is) but most tech reviewers who I've seen try it say they like it and that it makes a good gift.