• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Since I believe pinned topics go largely unnoticed, I thought you might like to know that there's an amazing thread created by Kyuuji for Transgender Awareness Week. While this should be a week of celebration, many shitstains are putting in extra effort to harass the community and spread hate. I ask that you visit the thread and reply with support. Anything will do. Like a simple sentence or a supporting image. The community of ResetERA showing support could help someone, so why not take a moment to do that? Also check out the OP. It's really good.

This thread will probably get locked since it is just pointing people to another thread. In the interest of making this thread have a topic of conversation I ask this:

Do pinned threads seem easily missed? I feel like I don't notice when there's a change at the top most of the time. If you feel the same, what can be done to make them stand out more?

Thank you.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Do pinned threads seem easily missed? I feel like I don't notice when there's a change at the top most of the time. If you feel the same, what can be done to make them stand out more?
I agree and I think the answer is to not pin them. Activity should keep them bumped just fine.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I feel like pinned threads could use something more to stand out. I admit I kind of just brush over them a lot of the times. Maybe having the titles be a different color from the rest of the threads?

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
The issue with pinned threads is usually that they are usually the same 3-4 threads, usually some announcement and community OT... and the one way to judge activity on a glance is seeing the same unpinned thread appear multiple times near the top. I never look at the pinned section. Not sure how to solve this.

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
In before potential lock lol double the support!
Props to the mods and admins working overtime to keep the awareness up! Big props to Kyuuji for the amazing OT!

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Pinned threads are usually heavily moderated so folks aren't going to do much except go, "*thumbs up* good stuff" and most folks don't see a huge point in that. Controversy, hot takes, heated discussion, hype, etc create bigger threads. I would also assume that a lot of folks don't know any trans individuals or are trans themselves so the topic itself is probably just not relevant to them.

Like, there's a senate thread pinned there and it's 5 pages. The other election stuff gets bigger traction in the wild with the rest of them. Why? Probably more enjoyable to commentate about Trump and Co's misery than talk about steps needed to flip a seat in the senate.

OP
OP
Heart of Poumn
Oct 25, 2017
Pinned threads are usually heavily moderated so folks aren't going to do much except go, "*thumbs up* good stuff" and most folks don't see a huge point in that. Controversy, hot takes, heated discussion, hype, etc create bigger threads. I would also assume that a lot of folks don't know any trans individuals or are trans themselves so the topic itself is probably just not relevant to them.

Like, there's a senate thread pinned there and it's 5 pages. The other election stuff gets bigger traction in the wild with the rest of them. Why? Probably more enjoyable to commentate about Trump and Co's misery than talk about steps needed to flip a seat in the senate.

I didn't think they were moderated more than any other topic. It also seems like pinned threads have fairly low view counts. It could be like you said and that the pinned topics usually don't cater to more casual posting. I think there's something for there being a topic that keeps rising to the top of the page. You want to see what's new and what are people still on about.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The Georgia runoff thread has a suggested workaround of pinning a locked thread that just links to the unpinned one. It'd work, but could get cluttered quickly if threads were active.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
usually the reason pinned threads get ignored is because there's always tons of threads pinned. It just ends up blending in and site users got trained to ignore it overtime. Because most of the time the pinned threads are just up ontop for a long time.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

A lot of things that get pinned are more for awareness than anything else. Replies are fine and all, but views are a more important factor.
All that said, it's really going to be up to the individual user/guest as to whether it's clicked on or not. Pinned threads are useful for awareness, but there is still the factor of user agency that is required for it to really "stick."

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
usually the reason pinned threads get ignored is because there's always tons of threads pinned. It just ends up blending in and site users got trained to ignore it overtime. Because most of the time the pinned threads are just up ontop for a long time
This is why we generally don't do more than 3 (or 4 depending on the density of "necessary" threads). I will admit that while there is probably a non-zero amount of users that scroll past them, it's not easy to quantify those that would miss it should it be treated as a regular thread - i.e., potentially tossed to page 2, where no one sees it (because again, it's more for awareness, so the likelihood of it being bumped is relatively small)

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
This is why we generally don't do more than 3 (or 4 depending on the density of "necessary" threads). I will admit that while there is probably a non-zero amount of users that scroll past them, it's not easy to quantify those that would miss it should it be treated as a regular thread - i.e., potentially tossed to page 2, where no one sees it (because again, it's more for awareness, so the likelihood of it being bumped is relatively small)
I can see that, appreciate the response too