• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
People give him too much shit for having a presidential candidate on his show. Jimmy's not the reason we have Trump. At the same time I'm not bothered by people pointing out the hypocrisy of giving him fluffy exposure during the election and doing jokes about him now.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It never ceases to amaze me that people don't understand that you have to give all candidates the same amount of time on your show. It's the law.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
i guess it should just be vague apology hour? "well here we are on show 1,000 since that one show. we're sorry again. up next is billy eilish playing giant checkers with jimmy."

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
It never ceases to amaze me that people don't understand that you have to give all candidates the same amount of time on your show. It's the law.

You must be thinking of the Fairness Doctrine:

1. It didn't require late night talk show hosts to give all candidates equal coverage
2. It was eliminated in 1987

In conclusion:

Edit: The Equal Time Rule also doesn't say that every individual show on a network needs to give equal time to each candidate.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If it makes you feel better Fallon hates....hates doing political humor. He only does it to get ratings

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
tumblr_pn3bj9DUfY1vtwqhpo1_500.png

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Case by case. Meaning you would have to have a good reason to exclude.
instead of a law, or even a hard rule, it is more like a common network practice to maintain the appearance of impartiality. It can be gamed at every instance, so it's not a really effective form of political broadcast regulation.

"equal time" is more towards political advertising, not appearances, and would take someone(a viewer or a politician) moving to hold a broadcaster responsible. the FCC isn't going to step in and make sure things are "fair and balanced", even though that's the idea Fox news would like us to come away with.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's like saying SNL has no right to make fun of Trump either. It's silly. Fallon did not make Trump more electable. Fallon likely didn't even vote for him either. Lay the blame at the fuckers who actually cast their ballot not some late night host who tussled his hair. He can 100% make fun of Trump. Moreso, especially because of what Trump has done post winning the election.

toneroni

Oct 25, 2017
Fallon was interesting to me when he first started out but man he's so fake and annoying these days.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fallon is a harmless drunk who interviews whoever his booker puts in front of him. it sucks but it's not as obnoxious as NBC running away with variety emmys for the same absolute garbage level of "HAHA TRUMP IS DUMB" gags after having him host and refusing to make fun of him during the campaign imo

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
If you're mad about this, wait until I tell you about a little TV show called Saturday Night Live...

that's different. The cast has been pretty vocal about how no one wanted him there, especially Taram Killam. They don't really have much say in who hosts the show, despite being able to pitch and shape a great deal of the comedy. Fallon has writers, yes, but it's a much more singular vehicle for him than SNL is for its cast.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
You should stay away from the Late Show with Stephen Colbert or Late Night with Seth Meyers. You may clutch your pearls so hard they'll shatter.
His or her point is that Fallon helped normalize Trump which made him more electable. He shouldn't be able to profit off of the comedy that roasts this president.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jimmy Fallon didnt allow Trump to be elected by touching his hair. Neither did the Russians.

Trump represents the quintessential spirit of what the US is.You all need to come to terms with that instead of deflecting into absurd blame games like this one.

Dec 24, 2017
do you think Donald Trump is actively doing anything to prevent a civil war right now

do you think he could do anything if he wanted to?

As a person who has bought a decent amount of firearms since Trump's election because I'm concerned about growing open white supremacy, I really don't think you can compare that to influencing Dred Scott, enabling slavery to expand, or not doing anything to prevent southern states from seceding.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a person who has bought a decent amount of firearms since Trump's election because I'm concerned about growing open white supremacy, I really don't think you can compare that to influencing Dred Scott, enabling slavery to expand, or not doing anything to prevent southern states from seceding.
I think if put in a similar situation Trump would do all the same but worse

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that a late night show making fun of Trump is an issue is pretty dumb but I still don't get why Fallon is uniquely scorned for boosting Trump in the election when pretty much every other late night show did it.