• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
It seems you have to pay to make an account to be able to download the mod, right? That's a shame.

EDIT: Never mind, I thought it wouldn't let me continue registering because of that, but it worked in another browser.
Yes, but don't let the paid options fool you if just there for the one mod. Just click for a free account and it doesn't take very long to go through.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Picked it up on GOG, then realized I have it on Steam. Ah well. Installing now. Haven't played this game since literally 2004, so this should be interesting.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Still progressing slowly. Enderal is still my primary focus these days, so Ionly play for a short session of Bloodlines per day.

I still vaguely remember the main story line and characters, but I barely remember most other stuff like mechanics and side quests.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't get that enb to work. Do I need to also download the main files from the site then copy the ones from nexus into directory ?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't get that enb to work. Do I need to also download the main files from the site then copy the ones from nexus into directory ?
What error are you getting? Or is there just no change? All I did was extract the directory into the folder with the .exe.

EDIT: I forgot how silly the radio programs were. Reminds me of GTA.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm just going to leave a question here because I always hear people talk about a certain thing in this game that I have never really felt.

How do y'all feel about the replayability in this game? How big of a difference you notice between one clan and another while playing? How viable you felt different character builds where? Do you have some examples in specific quests on how different it can be?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the game. I'll definitely play it at some point before the end of the summer.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I'm just going to leave a question here because I always hear people talk about a certain thing in this game that I have never really felt.

How do y'all feel about the replayability in this game? How big of a difference you notice between one clan and another while playing? How viable you felt different character builds where? Do you have some examples in specific quests on how different it can be?
Replayability is extremely high. Malkavians and Nosferatu play completely differently between clans.

Tremere especially have specific questions triggers that give them different story paths and bonuses. I can't talk about them without spoiling the game for others in the thread, though, and the same goes for the Ventrue I believe.

This game's replayability is nuts. Even if by the end of the game every PC ends up super strong and can basically do anything, the first 2/3rds is different enough to warrant replays.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
I was really enjoying this when I first started playing a while ago, but i hit a transistion to a new city (the third?) that involved about an hour of heavy lore before going and then opened up in a room with a few people who just loved to talk the ins and outs of the politics and what was going on. it was painfully boring, but it also felt really important to me actually understanding what was going on so i tried to push through it and ended up bailing on the game entirely.

Here's the question - is it important? whats the game like after that point?

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm unsure if the old nature of the original will appeal to me or not. At least in the sense of paying $20 for it.
It's 75% off on GOG, DRM-free, and it includes the required fan patch to make it playable on modern systems.

https://www.gog.com/game/vampire_the_masquerade_bloodlines

It's even cheaper on Humble, for a Steam key, but you'll need to install the fan patch yourself.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Got through the tutorial stuff last night, going to dive in now today. I think the most I've done in the past was just like the first couple of missions.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's 75% off on GOG, DRM-free, and it includes the required fan patch to make it playable on modern systems.

https://www.gog.com/game/vampire_the_masquerade_bloodlines

It's even cheaper on Humble, for a Steam key, but you'll need to install the fan patch yourself.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines
What perfect timing, was wondering if I could snag it on steam for the same price.
Dusk Golem update the thread title to say it's on sale.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Telling me there's dx9 missing file. I'll try again
I know on Windows 10 you need to rename the two "dxdg" files to "d3d11" or something like that, so maybe it's a similar issue. The dx9 files should be there, though, so maybe try verifying your installation files.
Unfortunately no. Im trying out various schemes using Steam controller config but to be honest its not perfect and is probably why ill bounce off this game and wait for the next one.
The main issue is using terminals/computers. It makes dialogue a bit cumbersome as well, but it's at least doable.

Last edited:

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Well just ran into a bug that caused one of the scripted scenes to not play like it was supposed to. Reloading fixed it but I guess the moral of the story is don't just rely on the autosaves save often yourself.

With that said this game is more janky than I remembered but still shows me why it is my favorite game of all time.

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Fun fact, if you use cheats and max out your stats before you start, Jack has extra dialog where he mocks you for being a dirty cheater.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Should I use the plus function of the unofficial patch or not

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
If this is your first time playing I would say no. The plus adds a bunch of shit that was cut. Some of it I like, some of it was cut for a reason.
If you have played a good chunk of the game before I say go wild.
I haven't. Only played a little bit a year or two ago and gave up before trying to fix the technical issues lol.

The fact that the end portions of the game are pretty much universally reviled didn't help either.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh, guess I'll be reinstalling it for another play through again. Nothing quite like the hotel level.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't. Only played a little bit a year or two ago and gave up before trying to fix the technical issues lol.

The fact that the end portions of the game are pretty much universally reviled didn't help either.

I always default to keeping the game as vanilla as possible for a first playthrough, so that is where I am coming from.

Yeah some of the sections are rough so keep in mind cheating in those sections is always an option.

tecl0n

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, you win.

I never did finish the malk run, but it's been so many years i doubt i'd remember all the diferences from a regular run...

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always default to keeping the game as vanilla as possible for a first playthrough, so that is where I am coming from.

Yeah some of the sections are rough so keep in mind cheating in those sections is always an option.

Especially if you play Ventrue, their flaw to not eat rats really makes the sewer section that much harder.

As for the Plus Patch, it's worth it for blood healing alone.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I really like the Plus version. Bloodlines is a great game to replay so it makes sense to keep your first playthough vanilla, but if you think you might only play it once I say there's nothing wrong with picking it from the start.

Ya, I fully recommend it if you're having too much trouble with those rough sections. Hitting a wall later on because you didn't invest enough into combat stats isn't fun.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
I just need to run the mod .exe file for steam? easy way to tell if my game is patch mod installed? I may just rebuy of GOG.....

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I never played this, despite having a huge amount of respect for the game due to the great systemic things it does and also for the background of its creators

Just bought it on GoG and looking forward to try this soon

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I just need to run the mod .exe file for steam? easy way to tell if my game is patch mod installed? I may just rebuy of GOG.....
Just run the .exe, select the directory the game is installed in, and it'll patch it. At the end of installation it'll mention to run the new .exe it generates for the game rather than the default one (it keeps the original .exe for those who want it), and if you want to run it from Steam it gives you a command line to put into Steam's launch options to launch that .exe from Steam when launching the game.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017

For the Steam version the mod will create a shortcut with unoffical patch in its name. Just run that. As to check in the game option menu go to the gameplay tab and it should say something like Unoffical patch 10.3 off to the right.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I actually just installed the game and the unofficial patch, the headbob and slidy feeling movement is making me motion sick as hell though, any way to disable it? Can't seem to find anything on it.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
This is the layout I used with an Xbox controller. You'll need to use Steam controller config, Xpadder, or JoyToKey.

Left Stick: WASD (move)
Left Click: CTRL (crouch)

Right Stick: mouse (look)
Right Click: F (feed)

Left Trigger: RMB (use discipline)
Right Trigger: LMB (attack)
Left Bumper: Scroll up (next discipline)
Right Bumper: E (use)

Y: H (holster)
X: R (reload)
A: space (jump)
B: I (inventory)

D-pad Up: 1 (first dialogue option)
D-pad Right: 2 (second dialogue option)
D-pad Down: 3 (third dialogue option)
D-pad Left: 4 (fourth dialogue option)

Back: L (log)
Start: ESC (menu)

9MrW3sy.jpg

Last edited:

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Incidentally, I beat the game from a boxed copy without a single patch, so it's not 'unbeatable', just buggy as f.

I knew I wasn't the only one! I bought Bloodlines on the day of release and finished it in about a week or two, only finding out about this 'game-breaking' bug a while later in one of the monthly PC magazines.

I distinctly remember not having the internet to download any patches, as I only got broadband installed at our house when I picked up Half-Life 2 that same week and found out about Steam. It was a small wait for it to be set up and installed thanks to some issues with my area being new to ADSL, so I finished up Bloodlines just in time to jump on Half-Life 2 the day my internet was activated.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I'd love to replay but right now I'm using my limited gaming time on Sekiro.
Maybe next month then.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
on all my replays of this i always cheat to get xp so i can artificially boost seduction. its too expensive in game to do it, and i want to play a sexy vampire without gimping my character.