• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.gog.com/game/vampire_the_masquerade_bloodlines

Game will run on a toaster, so don't need a gaming PC to experience it.

If playing on Steam, make sure to install the Unofficial Patch: https://www.moddb.com/mods/vtmb-unofficial-patch/downloads/unofficial-patch-106

The patch is included automatically in the GoG version (so don't need to redownload or apply the mod if buying off GoG), but isn't included in the Steam release. It mostly fixes bugs and some crucial fixes to the game, it's balance, and some game breaking bugs. That's the main reason to install it, as it fixes a lot of crashes, progress bugs, etc.

However, when installing there is an optional choice for a "plus" patch (which is turned off by default, but can be selected when installing) which add in several scrapped areas and missions from the base game that were cut due to time and re-implement them fully functioning (and include a few more controversial "fixes" to the game for playability reasons).

---

8bbb356c33d8a97cd6ec70793c81aa29d55680f38e93688d61d69fe3fa831719.jpg

I'm sure now with the announcement of the sequel with Bloodlines 2, many people are going to get around to playing the original game for the first time, or replaying it in anticipation. That includes myself, I had played a bit of Bloodlines in the past, but never finished it but meant to someday. Now's a perfect chance to do so, and as there probably are many people who are going to play the game now in wake of the sequel, let's have a thread talking about the game, our experiences with it for those going in blind or going to play it again. Ask about mods to apply besides the one I posted in the topic, your time with the game, what it's like going to it in 2019, whatever.

PLEASE mark your spoilers, as a number here are probably playing it for the first time.

I won't be started really until next week, but installed and will be sharing my thoughts here as honestly even though I had played it for a few hours before, I hardly remember it and it's been ages. I think it'll be fun to collectively talk and play it here with the sequel a year out now though.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I'm definitely going to reinstall and give Tremere a try this time.

Also, I'm pretty sure the GOG version of the unofficial patch is older than the current release. May be worth mentioning in the OP.

So excited.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I was surprised that the Unofficial Patch has had multiple updates this year. Dedication.

Might try to play through this this weekend while I wait for Outward next week.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I replayed it a few year back and I'm getting itchy over here just thinking about reinstalling it

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning to go in myself rather vanilla. I debated adding the "Clans" mods that add some clan specific quests and new branches to the game I hear are very good (and many recommend it), but as I've never played the game all the way through I'd rather take the canon story for this playthrough especially keeping in mind the sequel is coming (I do hear the characters are faithful to the lore of Vampire: The Masquerade, but I want to see what the game establishes by itself).

I have decided to use the Dev0lved ENB mod though: https://www.nexusmods.com/vampirebloodlines/mods/10/

Mainly just to make the game a bit prettier:

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VusNStB.jpg

Oh man, it's so tempting to replay the game. I'm beyond busy right now, but I'll definitely do it this year, I still have my GOG version. :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna give it another go. Had terrible stuttering last time. Frame-rate would drop by about half, recover, then do it all over again maybe ten seconds later. Was such a distraction I stopped playing. Using an 8400/1080 Ti combo

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Bought on GoG and I'm stoked to give it a go again some time soon.

I might even finish it this time.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
I'd highly recommend using the basic patch not the plus patch. The plus patch changes way too much (new quests which are mostly terrible) and adds in way too much random stuff. The creator loves to randomly change things for little reason (moving npc locations, adding random doors where there never used to be). Might be gone but recently the creator even added random all your base meme music in for instance.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Replayed as a ventrue lady not long ago. Reactivity to your choice of clan and other attributes is still awesome. Atmosphere is still king. And the graphics are a bit aged, but nothing too terrible. Play it, people, the sequel is getting everyone hyped, but immerse yourself in the one that started it all.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is the plus version of the patch worth it or no?

I haven't honestly touched the game in over a decade because I got distracted from it ^_^;;

Last edited:

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I've got way too many games on my plate right now but I think I'm still going to do replay. I've had the itch for a while and the sequel announcement seems like the perfect excuse to finally replay the original.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
is the plus version of the patch worth it or no?
One person in this thread answered above (who is in favor of not installing it), but I was curious and did some research of my own as someone debating this very point.

But I found this reply on the Steam forum from a pro opinion on it to contrast a bit (and did align with some things I've read elsewhere on Reddit):

I too had the same question last week when starting the game for the first time. I did some research on various forums.

Some people said that unless you are a diehard and plan to beat the game several times it might be fun to start on Basic and then install plus on a later playthrough to see what has been restored.

On the other hand most people said that it is a step backwards to not install Plus even if it is your first playthrough because Plus restores original content from the game, changes item locations or characters & moves them around to ideal locations (this might confuse people who remember their original locations - & they're not there) but it makes more sense. Also, the difficulty has been made easier & the game is more flexible to play.

I went with installing Plus with my first go through. I am currently 10 hours in and the game is fantastic.

I suggest installing Plus. Also make sure you use the High Res patcher which will be an option at the end of the unoffcial patch installation.

Lastly, I suggest navigating to the Extras folder which was added when you patched your game and installing SweetFX. I have custom preset settings that make the game much more realistic looking. Most of the game is set in very dark settings little to no light and with the default renderer it looks way too bright...

Have fun!

It sounds like it comes down a bit to personal preference. Of note if you want the closest to the released experience, use Basic as Plus takes a few liberties and does things like change a few item/NPC locations to account for the added content, and also makes some segments of the game less of a chore (but implements some scrapped quests, not all of which everyone is fond of). There's some give and take with it, but it also doesn't seem to drastically change anything or add anything to change the game up much (though does add a few Easter eggs and areas that were not originally planned, just developer decided to add).

I'm opting to try it with the Plus patch, but I think if you want to try the closer to the original options, to go with the Basic patch.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I went ahead and uninstalled the Plus part of the patch.

I messed around with some ENB and Reshade settings and had difficulty finding one I personally gelled with. So many either make the game TOO dark (imo) or just went overboard on the processing effects.

(I know making the game darker is the point of many of these but still)

I think I'm going to just go with this older but solid SweetFx preset:
https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/666/

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Finished it (again) couple of weeks ago; the last third or quarter of the game was worse than I remembered. The first quarter is still the best. Great game!

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I never played this game, only heard of it.
What's so great about it ? I'm genuinely asking, to see if I'll give it a try.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I never played this game, only heard of it.
What's so great about it ? I'm genuinely asking, to see if I'll give it a try.

I am going in mostly blind (I played it for a few hours years ago, but forget a lot of it and going to hop back in myself), but here's a few YouTube videos made recently when I dug into it (I also suspect more to creep up with the sequel announced now):

I never tried this game before. Is there any remastered or upgraded version I can play?

Apparently the GoG version, or the Steam version with the "Unofficial Patch" linked at the top of the OP, is the way to go.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't done a full playthrough since the game launched. I played as a Gangrel I believe to make combat a bit easier.

I've tried a few time since then to replay it, even with the mods, but I always seem to lose interest after the Ocean Hotel. I'm tempted by a Malkavian run because it looks insane, but I'm unsure if I should play one of the other races as a "revisit" playthrough.

Are the other races worth looking in to? I know that Nosferatu and Malkavian have quite dramatic changes to the experience and play, but what about the others?

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
I need to go back and play as a Malkavian and Nosferatu . I always end up picking Tremere and using blood magic

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Ok im in, must have bought this in a sale and forgotten about it. Not played it before. Loading it up now.

Hell Shinobi

Oct 27, 2017
So i still have my original copy but how do i play this?

jUEJ21P.jpg

Everytime i try to install it i get this error:

YuK9RQk.jpg

Hmmm last time i played a PC game was in 2004/05 after i finished Half Life 2 so it's been a few years i guess...

Also my laptop has this error everytime i boot it up:

kvwhgmx.jpg

I hate computers....

Last edited:

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Its also on sale on Humble Store if you want a steam copy
you just have to install the unofficial patch manually which is pretty straightforward

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping a thread like this would pop up. I've been thinking about playing this game for years but never got around to it. I already own it on Steam, and I've just downloaded the unofficial patch, so when I can tear myself away from DMC5 I'll finally load it up.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Just bought the game on gog and going to play it for the first time. For some reason i never got around to play it all these years allthough it seems to be right up my alley. I always heard it was kinda similar to the original Deus Ex (in terms of vibe, world building and different playstyles) which is my fav game of all time. Is this accurate?

Anyways with the announcement of the sequel today i'm finally going to give it a go. Excited.

Milena

Oct 27, 2017
I have no intention of digging through my stuff to find the CDs again. Guess I'll buy this again on GoG and save time.

I should try a Malkavian, I've played Tremere, Toreador and Brujah in the past. I've also tried a Nosferatu, but couldn't finish that playthrough...

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Has someone compiled a list of high res textures and visual overhaul mods? I haven't played the game in so long but I'd love to have this in an easy to access list so I can download, install and go.

I also remember one mod that changed certain things in the game. Nothing major. I'll have to find that.

Hamster0

Dec 4, 2018
After the trailer last night, I bought this on GoG. Can't wait to dive back in, I played it a long time ago, but never finished.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
It's been ages since I've played it last. I don't think I ever finished the whole game, but I do remember certain parts of it vividly. The mansion, brrr...

Purchased it on GOG now. Will see how it goes this time.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I've been meaning to play this anyway. Will 100% pick it up on GOG tonight.