• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to start the game tonight. Are there any particular skills that are useless and should be ignored, or any other general tips during the character creation?

In my opinion, haggle is not of much use, Intimidation is of limited use as persuasion can be used in many of the same situations, Inspection is also not very useful, finally as far as I remember if you pick a clan that has Obfuscate stealth is not much use at all once you pump that up.

As for tips lockpicking, hacking, persuasion are greatly useful and take a combat ability of some sort. Though you can get through the main story taking none of them, except a combat skill, so don't feel obligated unless you demand to be able to complete as many side quests as possible. If that's the case, lockpicking and hacking are a must.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't think Investigation/Inspection does anything. Get Persuasion, Research or Hacking instead. I don't see much reason to up Stealth at all (some Disciplines give you free sneaking/distractions) or Security more than a couple of points when you can Blood Buff. High Research can make you get free points in other skills, too. More details can be seen here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/914819-vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/49017189

If you don't care about cheating, you can get 0 Hacking and just check passwords online.

Be aware that if you use the Plus patch some of this advice is useless and that the game is fairly easy and forgiving regardless, just be sure to have some decent damage/defense later on (which can be gotten/supplement through Disciplines instead of raw stats).

Oh, and I also like activating the Histories, which I think aren't on by default even on the Unofficial Patch, since you get some extra roleplay flavor and more flexibility with your XP. Details here https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/914819-vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/faqs/35291 (unofficial patch enables console by default)

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Yeah, I don't think Investigation/Inspection does anything. Get Persuasion, Research or Hacking instead. I don't see much reason to up Stealth at all (some Disciplines give you free sneaking/distractions) or Security more than a couple of points when you can Blood Buff. High Research can make you get free points in other skills, too. More details can be seen here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/914819-vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/49017189

If you don't care about cheating, you can get 0 Hacking and just check passwords online.

Be aware that if you use the Plus patch some of this advice is useless and that the game is fairly easy and forgiving regardless, just be sure to have some decent damage/defense later on (which can be gotten/supplement through Disciplines instead of raw stats).

Oh, and I also like activating the Histories, which I think aren't on by default even on the Unofficial Patch, since you get some extra roleplay flavor and more flexibility with your XP. Details here https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/914819-vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/faqs/35291 (unofficial patch enables console by default)

Plus patch enables the histories for sure.

chiraledge

Oct 25, 2017
This game is freaking incredible and I can't believe a game this good was completely off my radar like this. I seriously only remember like magazine ads, I don't think I'd even seen gameplay until a few days ago.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't think Investigation/Inspection does anything.

It highlights things in the world, usually something small and easily misable like rings and the like, but it is very hard to recommend someone take that over another skill. I would honestly say that if that sounds like a nice feature to someone they should just cheat and get it.

Oct 25, 2017
Plus patch enables the histories for sure.
Plus does, but basic UP I think does not. But I think Plus also changes the available histories?
It highlights things in the world, usually something small and easily misable like rings and the like, but it is very hard to recommend someone take that over another skill. I would honestly say that if that sounds like a nice feature to someone they should just cheat and get it.
Or get Auspex lol
I think there is one or two dialogue lines that unlock with a couple of points in investigation but that's it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is it okay to feed on NPC:s (those who have dialogue and missions) if I just don't kill them? I tried it to Arthur at the bail bonds, didn't seem to fuck anything up. Was wondering if they would go hostile or something.

Steam version works fine for me in Windows 7 atleast. No problems at getting it to work either. I first installed the patch to wrong directory so it didn't boot up, but just did a reinstall and it worked.

Hmm actually more simple than I anticipated. I just remember last time I tried installing this on my Win 7 desktop I had a lot more issues but this was also like..back in 2012. Works just fine on my Win 10 laptop though!

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yeah, I don't think Investigation/Inspection does anything.
There's one dialogue that is only open if you have inspection at level 3 and it's pretty damn cool, but it only gives you 2 EXP so who cares lol.
When Knox asks you to take out the Kuei-jin at Foxy Boxes, you can make him tell you that Bertram is instructing him to do so, and when Bertram comes out all smug because he tricked you, you can just go "Yeah, Knox told me, lol"

Anyway, I beat the game for a second time now, Brujah, Melee, Anarch Ending, it's actually a much better ending than the other ones I have seen, and the most powerful melee weapon in the game is pretty silly considering other weapons you get along the way, like, how is that one the most powerful? lol

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a kind of half plus mod that adds the universally recognized to be good cut content without adding in the more questionable stuff?

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just played the beginning tutorial section and combat seems like it'll kick my ass later (picked Ventrue) I am assuming because of my class choice I will be mostly sneaking and talking my way out or conflicts?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just played the beginning tutorial section and combat seems like it'll kick my ass later (picked Ventrue) I am assuming because of my class choice I will be mostly sneaking and talking my way out or conflicts?

I'm playing as a Ventrue (last time I played as Brujah, forever ago) and yea. It's a bit like that. Using a combination of Domination/Persuasion (and sneaking) to avoid some fights. But also making sure to put some points into a few combat feats (Melee, Defense) so I can buff/debuff and handle myself.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm playing as a Ventrue (last time I played as Brujah, forever ago) and yea. It's a bit like that. Using a combination of Domination/Persuasion (and sneaking) to avoid some fights. But also making sure to put some points into a few combat feats (Melee, Defense) so I can buff/debuff and handle myself.
I'll probably do that myself.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I remember my first playthrough when the game came out was with Nosferatu and it was soooo hard. Maybe I played it wrong or something but boy... I remember lots of sneaking and hiding and not much else.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Started this off the back of this topic. It's pretty great once you get over the terrible graphics.

I'm not in the mood for an insanely difficult game though so the posts about how hard the game is are worrying for me

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Started this off the back of this topic. It's pretty great once you get over the terrible graphics.

I'm not in the mood for an insanely difficult game though so the posts about how hard the game is are worrying for me

Yea, the Environments kinda have a charming retro style to them but the animations of human characters specifically you can't just touch up with some post processing lol. You do kinda acclimate to it though. A lot of the animations in dialogue do seem to be pretty bespoke, which helps.

I just got to Hollywood. Reminding myself of some great characters like Beckett and Strauss. I'm glad the sequel is sticking with multiple (hopefully) dense hub areas.

D2fdK3-UkAEoUlX.jpg

Last edited:

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland

It's not really all that difficult at all. (altho melee characters will have easier time at the beginning, and gun builds later on as you actually start getting decent guns for sale)

The game was hard for the person above you, because for their first character, they picked the one vampire clan, that is SO ugly, that they can not walk openly in the game's hub areas because it will reveal the existence of vampires!

If you pick Nosferatu, you gotta sneak around to do quests, sneak around to do your shopping, sneak around to refill your blood after any encounter.

JmvPQW2.png

Are you gonna pick this as your first character? No? Okay, then you're good.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
I'm downloding it right now. I know nothing of the game but I'm interested in the settings.
Btw, is it considered a hard game?

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to roll a Tremere for once since I always just played melee so I could sledgehammer fools, what should I focus on besides the blood powers? Defense?

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm downloding it right now. I know nothing of the game but I'm interested in the settings.
Btw, is it considered a hard game?
The only difficulty you could really come across is in the later combat quests, where you have to fight, and that is only if you forget to put some points in firearms/melee/brawl, otherwise the game is pretty easy and you can't really mess up stat distribuition, although there are some stats that are pretty useless, earlier in the thread someone posted something talking abou those, look those up if you intend to play it only once.

Velka

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having tons of fun, I chose Toreador but changed my character model, cause the default one's just a yikes for me. Is there any major difference in interactions depending on the clan you choose? I understand that malkavian and nosferatu are pretty unique but what about the others, do characters react differently depending on the clan I belong to?
Also early quest question

I gave blood to the girl in the hospital and she called the cops, now I can't go to the clinic without sneaking, did I screw up her quest?

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Is there any major difference in interactions depending on the clan you choose? I understand that malkavian and nosferatu are pretty unique but what about the others, do characters react differently depending on the clan I belong to

Every clan has at least a few different dialogues and interactions.

I gave blood to the girl in the hospital and she called the cops, now I can't go to the clinic without sneaking, did I screw up her quest?

No, you completed the quest as soon as you gave her blood, I'm pretty sure it's fine.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Having tons of fun, I chose Toreador but changed my character model, cause the default one's just a yikes for me. Is there any major difference in interactions depending on the clan you choose? I understand that malkavian and nosferatu are pretty unique but what about the others, do characters react differently depending on the clan I belong to?

You told her you were a vampire, didn't you. Lol

Oct 25, 2017
Had to restart :|
Looks like at some point I accidentally used the vanilla launcher instead of the patched one, and mixing saves between the two was causing glitches and more glitches. Fortunately game is running even better now (cutscenes aren't a complete mess! no random audio issues!) and I wasn't very far (just had finished going into the Diner for Therese), and I used the chance to optimize my stats a little bit. Almost the same combat ability (for the first couple fo quests anyway, gotta upgrade for the fight against the chinese) but now with a respectable Computers 2 and some Persuasion just after getting the explosives.

Is there a Switch version?
lolno

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
So I was replaying this and got through the intro/Santa Monica without any major issues. But the second I got control of my character Downtown the entire game performance tanked to 1 or 2 fps and it took almost 5 minutes to just go visit Prince in the tower. Has anyone run into this and/or know of a way I can do a quick fix? I was falling in love with the game all over again, but if I can't walk around Downtown it's not going to be possible to complete it. I've done all sorts of attempts at save data manipulation and resetting my computer but it just seems to be baked in. I'm using GOG with the Unofficial Patch I downloaded.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've got to Hollywood and it's taking longer and longer to quicksave (it can freeze for a solid 5 seconds). They overwrite so I assume this isn't a storage issue. Is this something that just happens? Otherwise it's been running just fine and dandy at 4K.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
That Fat Larry briefcase sneaking mission was dumb as hell. It was just cumbersome, not fun or exciting. And it's silly how people don't see you when you are crouched in their line of sight, almost next to them (yeah I know it's because of the stats, but still).

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Haven't played a Malkavian since my second play-through, probably a month or so after the game first came out. Seems appropriate to play a character who kind of knows what all is about to happen since I also kind of know what is about to happen, haha.

I'll never forget my Malkavian run through, due to the conversation with Ming

Calling her out on the Yama Kings, the only time she ever loses her cool during the game, is immensely satisfying

Oct 25, 2017
So I was replaying this and got through the intro/Santa Monica without any major issues. But the second I got control of my character Downtown the entire game performance tanked to 1 or 2 fps and it took almost 5 minutes to just go visit Prince in the tower. Has anyone run into this and/or know of a way I can do a quick fix? I was falling in love with the game all over again, but if I can't walk around Downtown it's not going to be possible to complete it. I've done all sorts of attempts at save data manipulation and resetting my computer but it just seems to be baked in. I'm using GOG with the Unofficial Patch I downloaded.
Maybe this can help? https://steamcommunity.com/app/2600/discussions/0/142261027582390677/

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
So Steam or GoG version?

The GoG version comes with the basic unoffical patch, 10.2 though not the newest version which is 10.3, already installed. For the Steam version you have to install it yourself. If you want the plus patch, adds extra content that wasn't in the base game, you have to install it on either version.

Besides that there isn't any difference that I am aware of.

Last edited:

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely going to reinstall and give Tremere a try this time.

Also, I'm pretty sure the GOG version of the unofficial patch is older than the current release. May be worth mentioning in the OP.

So excited.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but can you update the GOG version with the updated unofficial patch?

john titor

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've bought it from GOG, added it on Steam as a non-Steam game and using Steam's controller settings with a DS4 without problems. Posted my current bindings earlier in the thread.
thanks! gonna try your bindings. can't find it on the Steam, but I believe setting it up manually won't be a problem.