• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder to save frequently:
Was messing around with some stuff, and during the tutorial even though I was not even in the area, I got failed in the sneak mission and game restarted with me in the room where it teaches you to use the first power.

Except it was another clan's power and sneaking at the same time, making the room impossible to clear (and leaving me without lockpicks) lol

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I hope the sequel has the same dance choreographer. These people going nuts in the bars never fail to crack me up. Especially in the downtown hotel.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Can someone help me with the Sibling Rivalry quest.
No matter what I choose, Therese always kills Jeanette. I want Jeanette to live, and Therese dead.
Playing GOG out of the box, so that's 10.2 basic unofficial patch, I believe. Thanks.

Every time you side with a sister you get a point in their favor. In order to save one over the other you need more points for that sister and then encourage them at the end. For example if you want Therese to live, when asked to trash the exhibit don't steal the money and push back against Jeanette. Don't console her or try to push them to coexist. Act in Therese's favor and don't push back. You may need seduction or Persuasion in order to do the same for Jeanette or Tourette. More information can be found on this page.

Last edited:

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder to save frequently:
Was messing around with some stuff, and during the tutorial even though I was not even in the area, I got failed in the sneak mission and game restarted with me in the room where it teaches you to use the first power.

Except it was another clan's power and sneaking at the same time, making the room impossible to clear (and leaving me without lockpicks) lol

Can't be stressed enough. I have had the elevator in the Asylum glitch out on me and had to use noclip in the console because reloading didn't fix it, and had a scripted scene not kick off properly as well and had to reload a save a few times before it worked.

That is not even mentioning the doorknob glitch i haven't ran into, yet, but was mentioned by others in this thread.

Full discloser though I can't make up my mind which clan/character I want to play so i have played through the first area multiple times and most of the time everything goes off without a hitch.

Last edited:

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
Is it best to play 1080p or is higher reolutions ok? I had it set at 1440p and the subtitles were in the upper left hand corner

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Is it best to play 1080p or is higher reolutions ok? I had it set at 1440p and the subtitles were in the upper left hand corner

If you are talking about during opening scene and others of the like that is where the subtitles are on any resolution I believe. If its during face to face conversations then yeah that is weird and doesn't happen to me at 1080p, my moniter is old and that is its max.

Deleted member 2550

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone happen to have some build/playstyle recommendations? My first playthrough years ago was pretty much just lockpicking/hacking + some focus on guns later because it was necessary. Are there other playstyles that are viable and worth checking out? Lockpicking and hacking almost seem like a necessity.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to be able to explore every nook and cranny and do every side quest you need hacking and lockpicking. Though you can drop hacking if you are fine with a little cheating and look up all the passwords online.

It has been a while since I last did a full playthrough so the plus patch might have changed things but a combat skill is necessary towards the end. I go with guns but I am not sure if it has to be guns.

Going by memory persuasion is super useful and seduction is fun, in a male power fantasy kind of way, but if you play as a woman I hear it is almost as good as persuasion.

The rest of it is up to you. Though avoid haggle in my experience it is worthless as just like in most rpgs money is not hard to come by.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I think Haggle is kind of helpful if you're doing a gun build and buying lots of ammo. The price reductions it grants add up.

Perhaps. I never seemed to have money problems in my gun builds but thinking about it that might just be because I usually combine them with a Tremere, so guns are a back up for blood magic, or someone who is a smooth talker and can get some big pay days/avoid fights.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Okay, you guys got me. I'll play it AGAIN. (Just finished it, again, few weeks ago). But this time without the plus patch. Too many weird changes I disliked.

I wish the last quarter of the game was better, in fact it almost ruined an excellent experience and reduces it almost to simply above-average. But damnit, everything until Chinatown is brilliant.

Let's play Malkavian this time around!

Reminder for those playing with the plus patch and (accidentally) end up joining the Sabbath: don't do it. You'll get a shit ending.
You'll meet one of its leaders who wants to kill you and you can say something like "Sounds cool, can I join your awesome club?". Given the general tone of the game and all those sarcastic answers I didn't take that for real, but apparently this was the official, and in all seriousness, "I want to join" answer.

Last edited:

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am getting an error running the Devolved ENB mod:

"the procedure entry point createdxgifactory2 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\\Windows\SYSTEM32\d3d11.dll"

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Never played this before but it's hard to resist $5 so I picked it up.

What should I know going into it?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
How do you side with the Sabbath just for reference?
You'll meet one of its leaders who wants to kill you and you can say something like "Sounds cool, can I join your awesome club?". Given the general tone of the game and all those sarcastic answers I didn't take that for real, but apparently this was the official, and in all seriousness, "I want to join" answer.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks. That's the plus patch for you. A lot of good is added but lots of "wtf" stuff as well.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Would anyone happen to have some build/playstyle recommendations? My first playthrough years ago was pretty much just lockpicking/hacking + some focus on guns later because it was necessary. Are there other playstyles that are viable and worth checking out? Lockpicking and hacking almost seem like a necessity.
That's one of my big problems with the game, certain skills you just need to have, situations where you can get around not having them are far too sparse. I guess you could go melee or brawler for fighting, maybe spec into sneaking to get past some sections more easily maybe? But then no matter what you probably already did a whole lot of sneaking even in a "non-sneaking" character. Social options are super limited too, since intimidation is rarely good for actual quests, being mostly to take money from random npcs and haggle being useless, only things worth investing in that area are Seduction and Persuasion.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Skylines apartment the last one you get? I have Googled and there doesn't appear to be an apartment( Haven) in Hollywood.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I just installed Bloodlines for a replay on a rig I've never played it on, and uh, I'm experiencing the most terrible audio stuttering and none of the fixes I've tried work. Never had that before. :/

Any model or texture mods?

I remember there being a few good ones, but nothing too extensive that I'd actually recommend. Apparently it's a somewhat difficult game to create mods for. I'd like to look into creating texture mods myself someday, so I guess I'll see how true that is then.

Maybe things have changed tho, it has been a while since I last checked. You can look for them on mod db, planet vampire and nexus mods.

I mean, this one's recent and pretty cool: https://www.nexusmods.com/vampirebloodlines/mods/75

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
i always wished the character sheet had the descriptions for the ranked points from the books. Maybe the sequel will have them?

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I totally get doing it basic, but man I don't think i could play without blood healing.
I suppose I would just invest a bunch in blood packs.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Question: is there anyway to avoid the ocean house hotel? I love RPGs like Bloodlines, but I -despise- horror. I've avoided the entire game just so I don't have to go through that sequence.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Question: is there anyway to avoid the ocean house hotel? I love RPGs like Bloodlines, but I -despise- horror. I've avoided the entire game just so I don't have to go through that sequence.
1. That isn't the only scary thing in the game, only the most famous
2. You can noclip through it or use these console commands though I can't vouch for their reliability
3. It's a pretty short level...

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom

It's pretty short for sure, and the spooky stuff is relatively harmless. If you truly can't deal with it I'd turn the audio down, that helps.

But yeah, Bloodlines actually more horror moments than that. I get you though, I'm a huge wuss myself and stuff like the ocean house still gets to me to this day.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
1. That isn't the only scary thing in the game, only the most famous
2. You can noclip through it or use these console commands though I can't vouch for their reliability
3. It's a pretty short level...

Noclip works but you kind of have to know a little bit about that level so you can make sure the right trigger goes off. You also have to keep in mind that stuff can still hurt you as you are flying around if you just have noclip on. I wouldn't say it is impossible for a first timer but it might be better to just play the level one time or look for a guide/video/tips on using noclip for that level.

I can't vouch for the console command but they should in theory also work.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Just got through the tutorial. Excited to play through this. I have never beat it but started it several times. I plan on making it through this time. I also like that it runs at 4K60 on my 5 year old mid-range rig lol.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, Well they don't look too bad so that's fine. Just need some better clothes, You can change that right?

Yes. there are 5ish sets of better clothes that changes your appearance, the game treats them like armor upgrades, but they are also gender and clan specific, so if you want the better stats you are stuck with what you get as well.

One area it can be safely assumed the sequel will be a vast improvement in.

Last edited:

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I still remember getting this one and getting stuck at a certain boss due to a glitch that locked me in a conversation with him. Did that get fixed in the unofficial patch?

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
So I convinced Theresa and Jeanette to make up, which honestly I think is the best for Santa Monica.

I'm really enjoying this game a lot especially being able to understand what the hell is going on this time around.

I'm just stuck on finding Lily, since I checked the bond place and even did the quest for the guy there.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just about to enter the Ocean House Hotel. I forgot how early in the game it was.

Also I generally just like how this game manages exp. No real penalty to focusing on non-combat stats and approaches. Well at least early on..

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just stuck on finding Lily, since I checked the bond place and even did the quest for the guy there.
Just finished this quest. After you find her diary, you're going to either need Hacking 3 to finish the quest (or have some social skills to throw at Phil, I'm a poor Gangrel with 1 in all social so dunno how that goes). Took me another quest to buy Computer 1 and become able to do it.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this quest. After you find her diary, you're going to either need Hacking 3 to finish the quest (or have some social skills to throw at Phil, I'm a poor Gangrel with 1 in all social so dunno how that goes). Took me another quest to buy Computer 1 and become able to do it.

I will spoiler it just in case but it should be mentioned that to really start that quest rolling

you have to look for the name you got from the diner on the computer in the bond office.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I'm a Ventrue with a high lock pick and hacking for right now, so I hope I'll be good.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to start the game tonight. Are there any particular skills that are useless and should be ignored, or any other general tips during the character creation?