• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 17, 2017
giphy.gif
This is me when I get dust in my eye and am trying to get it out without touching my eyes.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
I went on a date recently, toward the end of the date after we were making out and she says, "I'm surprised you liked me, you didn't flirt much. I like someone that flirts a lot" At that moment, after 34 years on this planet, a marriage and a couple of relationships later... I realized, I don't know how to flirt. I think I'm always afraid of crossing a line by flirting too hard... or maybe I just don't know how to do it. So I present the question, How does one flirt?
By showing someone that you like them. There are all sorts of cues. Some subtle , some not so subtle. I usually give a few compliments when conversing. Smile/eye contact. It's a good intro to flirting and putting yourself out there easily. Most importantly though it has to come off confidently and naturally.

OP
OP
Youngfossil

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
By showing someone that you like them. There are all sorts of cues. Some subtle , some not so subtle. I usually give a few compliments when conversing. Smile/eye contact. It's a good intro to flirting and putting yourself out there easily. Most importantly though it has to come off confidently and naturally.
Ok lets get this out the way. This is mostly defining what flirting is, I dont need that. Also Eye contact and smiles I got, it's the advanced shit i need help with

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Get a glass of whiskey, lean over to them, and say the following as confidently as possible:

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one stood. Burned by the embers of Armageddon, his soul blistered by the fires of Hell and tainted beyond ascension, he chose the path of perpetual torment. In his ravenous hatred he found no peace; and with boiling blood he scoured the Umbral Plains seeking vengeance against the dark lords who had wronged him. He wore the crown of the Night Sentinels, and those that tasted the bite of his sword named him... the New Boyfriend.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
In my experience, flirting is person dependent. There's some idea that there's some universal flirting language that you secretly need to get to know, but I think that's a load of hogwash as different people find different things attractive. So the actual key to flirting is just talking to someone pretty default like and normally, breaking the ice and being intuitive and picking up on where certain things are welcome or not.

Just get to know them a bit, and then home in on something that is both your style, but also you feel may be welcome to them at the appropriate moments. Like I am a bit of a teasing person, so I guess one thing I do is I intuitively pick out something about them I noticed while conversing and lightly comment, tease, or just get into a deeper conversation about something related to what we're talking about, nothing harsh and nothing sexual, just to show I'm paying attention, I'm seeing them, and I'm interested. Honestly my method of handling this is a bit dorky, like the person I'm currently dating the initial approach I had was picking up on their mood and being a bit goofy about something I had picked up they were feeling insecure about in the moment (goofy as in to let them know it's okay to feel like that but they don't need to feel insecure about it, it's alright to be a bit silly and imperfect, I don't want to push if they're uncomfortable but they had no reason with me to feel insecure).

That's one small example of how I handle it, but really you just gotta' find what works for you, and be able to just treat someone in a way that's respectful. Pushing boundaries right out of the gate is certainly going to end up maybe harassing some people unintentionally, so just show that you're interested in them and if there's any interest back, and don't be offended if there isn't and don't push someone to the point of discomfort. I feel if you want to try to flirt with someone you don't really know, not trying to press in too close too quickly is an important part of it too. Realize your strangers and you gotta' respect boundaries and work through them rather than coming in too strongly too quickly.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
You ever hear of the shoulder touch?

I'm not sure I know how to flirt myself, but I think it comes naturally when two people are vibing. I feel like, with me, it's just a matter of feeling confident in myself, my sense of humor, or any other charming quality I hope I exude when I'm interacting with a woman I'm attracted to.

Generally there's a lot of laughing, teasing, light touching (shoulder, arm, hand, back, maybe the thigh if the vibe is really strong). It's very dependent on the person. Everyone is different, and responds to different types of flirting. I'm incredibly shy, but I'm also a silly goofball that enjoys making people laugh.

Having recently gotten out of a 14 year relationship, I'm feeling more than a little rusty when it comes to flirting, so maybe I'm not the best person to give advice... 🤔

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Be light-hearted and playful. Include her in on a an observational joke having to do with where you are or something going on. Then link the joke to something between you (optional). Flirting is all about including the other person in on something fun/sexy/cute, almost feels like a secret you're sharing. Exciting/silly, fun and inclusive, NOT serious, one-sided or pick-up-y.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Just don't be one of those guys that think teasing is good flirting. I don't know why I attract that so much but it is lame.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to post about it but very hard irl. I have failed many times. It's just it's kinda hard to know what the other person is thinking and it creates a lot of hesitation especially when they give out weak signals.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Pardon me but I couldn't resist telling you how much I want to do sex against you. Are you interested in a bit of below belt bingo

Then you compliment her ears

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Ok lets get this out the way. This is mostly defining what flirting is, I dont need that. Also Eye contact and smiles I got, it's the advanced shit i need help with
No one can really help you with that. You need to make sure you understand what flirting is in the context of who you are and how you are socially. There is no rule book or guide that applies to everyone and every situation. Elevation is what you're trying to focus on and that differs depending on context.

The best solution is trial and error. Go out with people and target people of interest with the intent to get to know and Expressing interest, in a way you feel is right and makes you comfortable. Any tips and tricks you try is most likely going to come off unnatural. Trial and error and experience (conditioning) through situations, you will define your own way to flirt. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't, sometimes the other person just won't connect. It's all a part of the game.

People that are "good" at flirting fail and have failed a lot.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
All you need to do is incorporate these three simple responses into your speech:

"No!" said with an air of excited disbelief and the inflection of an affirmative.

"Shut up!" said with wide eyes and a tone of desperate encouragement.

"That's hot." said with narrowed eyes and far greater sincerity than is warranted by the context.

Repeat until soaked in bodily fluids. You are welcome.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There is only one sound way to get someone to notice you that I've learned from ERA:

Step 1) You go to Youtube and look up origami.
Step 2) Stalk her at the place she works and subtly slip her your number in a swan or some shit.
Step 3) ?????
Step 4) Congrats on the sex

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forget flirting. Just express and connect along authentic lines of affinity, and chemistry will happen naturally.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That a late stage relationship thing. It's not going to get you someone with that alone.
Connecting with people about ideas and experiences is a right away thing for me. That's how I like to connect with people. Also I'm not trying to "get" someone, I'm just trying to connect with another human.

OP
OP
Youngfossil

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Connecting with people about ideas and experiences is a right away thing for me. That's how I like to connect with people. Also I'm not trying to "get" someone, I'm just trying to connect with another human.
Yes, that's all fine and dandy when I'm making friends. But there needs to another element to it when dating than just connecting. For me connecting with someone isnt unusual, I'm a well rounded person.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that's all fine and dandy when I'm making friends. But there needs to another element to it when dating than just connecting. For me connecting with someone isnt unusual, I'm a well rounded person.
For me, chemistry arises naturally when I meet someone who speaks my language re: shared values, ideas, passion, etc. To me, that excitement is what fuels connection. Then from there we can let a romantic or sexual relationship develop naturally if there's mutual interest.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
You just need to say "Hey!", three times consecutively with the second "Hey!" being a bit of a higher note then the first "Hey!" and the third "Hey!" should be somewhere between the first 2

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You guys jest, but you can do something with this. One of my personal favorites is sending a girl a Dick pick like so:

So the rules of dating say I'm supposed to send you a Dick pick. Sorry if it's not your thing, but I think I'll get in trouble if I don't

mKSOfof.jpg

Usually this gets a laugh, but I can follow it up with, "Oh sorry, I accidentally sent you the pick of my O face, that's even more embarassing."

I love sending "Dick" picks.

Dick Van Dyke
Moby Dick
Dick Nixon
Robin/Nightwing

I wasn't joking though...then you follow up with "I forget who was supposed to pay - do I owe you a nickel, or do you owe me one???"

Last edited:

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Look's like you need to read some PUA material. No, don't do that.

Anyway, I don't know how to flirt either.

Oct 28, 2017
Be funny but not too funny. Be aggressive but not too aggressive. Be attentive but not too attentive. Be sexy but not too sexy. Smile but not too smile.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually try to drop some meme references, if they don't get it, that tells me everything I need to know.

(I am very single)

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't know how to flirt either, because my brain warns me that anything I do that even remotely resembles flirting is going to lead to immediate rejection and embarrassment.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno OP, how bout we get out of here and head to my place to discuss this over a bottle of wine?

(Don't do this)

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I like to listen and naturally include things they have said like hobbies or interests back into the conversation somehow.
Like remembering bands like enjoy and singing bits of a song or
Remembering a story they told you and referencing that or
Remembering a bit about themselves and referencing that

Just to show I'm paying attention and interested in them. But then again I do this for most people and they seem to appreciate it, or are surprised I remember. I enjoy it myself because I find the inside jokes the best.

Physical contact like a shoulder touch is also good when it is used appropriately. I went on a date once and we got along really well. I eventually told her that I didn't think it would work out because I wasn't feeling it, and she was like "yea I kinda was thinking that because there was no physical contact during the date".

Compliments to show you are attracted to them physically.

Be subtle but not too subtle that they have to guess where exactly you stand. I would say be honest (be yourself, say what you want to say) but knowing some people that might be terrible advice haha.

But take this with a grain of salt because I actually haven't been on a lot of dates :D

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't know how to flirt either, because my brain warns me that anything I do that even remotely resembles flirting is going to lead to immediate rejection and embarrassment.
That says a lot of your self-esteem. Try to build more confidence. If you don't know how, search for help. Whether that's online or from people around you, that's up to you, but fix this. You're a cool person, so now you need to figure out how to show that to people.

Rosen

Oct 25, 2017
It's the implication.

Flirting is one of those thing there's a million different answers and a lot of it is just straight up weird.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's a lot of eye contact, laughing at each other's comments, some touching (a hand on the arm, your leg just barely touching their leg), maybe having cute little shared jokes or references. Maybe some comments like their hair is pretty/clothes look nice/something like that. If you're on a date with someone then I think all this is fair game, but if it's someone at work for instance that you like then just be careful to make sure they're interested first as it might be too forward in that kind of environment.

durrrklin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Best Coast
All you need to do is incorporate these three simple responses into your speech:

"No!" said with an air of excited disbelief and the inflection of an affirmative.

"Shut up!" said with wide eyes and a tone of desperate encouragement.

"That's hot." said with narrowed eyes and far greater sincerity than is warranted by the context.

Repeat until soaked in bodily fluids. You are welcome.
"I am going through a rough spot"
"No!"
"Yeah... My grandma passed away..."
"Shut up!"
"I'm hurting, why are you doing this!?"
"That's hot."

Did I do it right?

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's why whenever I go on a first date, I try to sit at the bar with the person so it's easier to touch them naturally or brush up against them. Harder to do when there's an entire table between you. That said, I have just reached across the table to hold a girl's hands before. Sometimes you just gotta be bold - especially if you're on a date. The more in my head I am, the more likely I'm not to do anything.

The times where it's best to initiate contact like that, imo, is when there's eye contact, jokes, etc., which you say yourself that you're good at. Just use the physical touch as a way to "accent" those moments. Like if a person says something you think is really funny laugh and give them a light touch as you do. Connect physically when you connect in other ways. I think you do just have to risk "failing." If the person isn't receptive to it, take that seriously but broadcasting your interest is not a bad thing and you shouldn't feel like a fool for doing it.

Thanks, that's great advice. Kind of like subconsciously accenting a good moment in a conversation physically in a natural way.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Put her down. Make sarcastic jokes about her. Routinely ignore her.

What was that players handbook or whatever that was circulating in the 90s?

Don't do the above.