• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey sorry some of us aren't Joe fucking cool over here about the president of the US and his party are daily going "well maybe it was rigged teehee"

I mean it's nice that you've got unshakeable faith that things won't go down how people are scared it might go down.

I mean this is only been an unprecedented 4 years, nbd.

And I get it, being chicken little doesn't help either. But show some compassion huh?

Just now in a different thread I saw someone referring to other members of this site as "bed wetters", foh with that seriously.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you that we can't get complacent here, this is a clear attempt at a fascist power grab and if it were being undertaken by someone even 30% more competent than Orange Diaper Man we would all be in jail already.

But we also can't succumb to apocalyptic thinking. Be worried, but don't catastrophize because you'll drive yourself crazy.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
It's one thing to be worried and concerned, but some people here are just downright fearmongering, making those who are legit concerned worry even more.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I agree with you OP but sometimes it's worth keeping a cool head. Those smug posters you talk of are probably just as concerned as you are but panicking does literally no good for anyone. If anything, it'll make other people feel more anxious.

Don't get content, but don't be a scaremonger either.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Am i one of these persons? I don't post a lot in politics threads but i don't really know.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
All I can recommend is to go listen to some podcasts (PSA, The Daily and so on) that calmly and clearly explain the situation and how there is zero chance Trump will be in office come February.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's possible (and important) to walk the line between shooting down lofty doom scenarios and also being kind to those mentally wrecked by the last 4 years. So I think that means I half agree with you. This forum is a social platform, and just like in public, leading with some rationale in how you conduct yourself goes a long way. And that sentence isn't a critique to you at all, OP, I'm just stating it's important to be level headed for multiple reasons.

But yeah. Calling people bed wetters who have anxiety is unkind. It's world kindness day, ya'll. You can kick at the darkness without kicking at the person who is experiencing it.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, people shit on other posters here way too casually.

But it's also not healthy to constantly be stressed. If you're worried, focus on what you can control. This is going to be a rough few months and you need to focus on taking care of yourself.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Era is pretty deficient in empathy at the best of times.

That said, freaking out helps no one either.

OP
OP
Sketchsanchez

Sketchsanchez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you that we can't get complacent here, this is a clear attempt at a fascist power grab and if it were being undertaken by someone even 30% more competent than Orange Diaper Man we would all be in jail already.

But we also can't succumb to apocalyptic thinking. Be worried, but don't catastrophize because you'll drive yourself crazy.
I agree that there is a "happy" middle there. It just gets so toxic, we get so toxic with one another here and we're all probably varying degrees of worried..

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the smug "bedwetting" and "doomposting" down talk has been super annoying. As if this has been in the bag from the beginning. Shit was a freakin coin toss in so many states.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
It seems like we should be able to reassure people without talking down to them. I'm 99% sure it's all going to be fine, but it's still highly disturbing and bodes ill for the future.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
I agree that there is a "happy" middle there. It just gets so toxic, we get so toxic with one another here and we're all probably varying degrees of worried..

Just report that post. Most of the post I saw, including some of mine were to inject some reasoning and sanity.
Too many people in the thread were going all out talking about coup and civil war.

Yes we need to be vigilant, but fearmongering just add to the stress of those already stressed by it.

Spawnsniper

Oct 28, 2017
That's why I rarely post because I can't stand how other posters reply to others. And then if I try to say something I get banned lol no thanks.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing. While I can understand the worry this is explicitly the GOP's plan to sow doubt about the election results. I have seen posters that have been rather shitty in their dismissal of peoples worries here. However, every legal expert that has analyzed the Trump Administration's efforts to overturn the results have said that 99% of the cases being brought forward don't have any merit to stand on. The only legal win I'm aware of that the Trump team got was in PA a small handful of ballots (talking a few hundred at most) were thrown out because of some outstanding issues with the ballots. Every swing state Joe has won in has a big enough gap that even a recount will not likely make any difference at all. We've got like two and a half weeks or so until the results are certified in December at that point there is not a damn thing he can do. So just hold tight.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I agree with you OP but sometimes it's worth keeping a cool head. Those smug posters you talk of are probably just as concerned as you are but panicking does literally no good for anyone. If anything, it'll make other people feel more anxious.

Don't get content, but don't be a scaremonger either.
It's hard to agree when people were going "Oh, it won't be that bad. You're overreacting" in 2016 and then were incredibly wrong for four years.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Be worried enough to inspire you to action, but not so gripped with fear where you just want to crawl into a hole and die. There is a balance here. IMHO

There's a balance here

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you that the name calling is petulant and gets out of hand. However, posting "OMG Trump is going to find a way to win, we're all going to die, what's even the point of voting, etc" or something along those lines doesn't help anyone, especially those who may be struggling with suicidal thoughts in these tough times.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's easy to play it cool when you aren't first in line to be cleansed by the fascists.

I hope people in power take these threats seriously and have a game plan to respond to anything that might occur Jan 20th.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, but there are also people who live to scare post in these threads. I've had to put people on ignore during the election because it was getting obnoxious.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey if people want to present clear arguments and information as to why people should be alarmed, I have no issue with that. What does bother me is when people rush to catastrophize scenarios when there is very little evidence that said events are occurring aside from a gut feeling that "it could happen." Particularly when it becomes a common, weekly occurrence.

People lose patience when subjected to months and months of said rhetoric.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
People need to show equal consideration to those who are following along and calmly discussing things. "we're all going to die omg civil war!" is not useful.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worry is okay! We should be but, extreme doomeposting catastrophizing is counterproductive (not to mention ineffectual) and can be harmful to other members (and possibly the member themself) mental health. There's no need to share that level of despair.

As long as we're alive there's always a chance but some of the nihilistic type dread that everything is forever fucked should be countered with with positivity if not for that poster but anyone reading it.

Have you ever heard of a therapist promote or not try to counter this thinking?

edited with a better word thanks to RailWays

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Sure people can be more empathetic in general, but doompost that simply shout "There will be a civil war - hurry act now Americans. Fight for your country" should be banned entirely.

No warning. Enough is enough.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
Although I don't agree with the shaming, per se, given what has transpired the past four years, I have also seen some wild takes that spike my anxiety for no reason, as it is most likely the Republic will hold, given how the media and judicial system has reacted. Part of me feels like the so-called "doomposters" should think twice, given this board's history of mental health issues and the triggering effect such statements can have. However, I also understand the fear and uncertainty, thanks to the sheer insanity that has become our everyday lives.

I suggest taking a break from Internet hostility and focusing on the media that most Americans consume on a daily basis, to gain perspective and understand what's happening. When a major broadcast network starts to panic about a coup, that's when you probably should, too.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between being worried that the president might try something and posters talking about Biden being executed and the military taking sides in a coup. You don't have to share every crazy conspiracy theory about what might happen if an increasingly unlikely set of circumstances happen one after the other that lead to Trump being God Emperor of Mankind. If you're going to exaggerate reality to that extreme, people are going to call you out on it. But they should do it without resorting to hostility.

Oct 29, 2017
It's also extremely healthy to take a break. I do agree being called a bed wetter is really stupid. I've noticed I've really felt down in the last two days. I feel that silent panic in the back of my head. I'm going to take the weekend and just repair. No doom scrolling.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019

This is the right sentiment.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Being worried is one thing. There has been a lot of genuinely ridiculous ideas floated about ways Trump can retain the White House that's honestly infuriating to read. Giving them air imo feels irresponsible, even if those fears that led to the post are real. That level of worrying is not healthy.

Oct 28, 2017
I've said it in other threads but this thing is going to come down to a Mexican stand off in the Oval Office on Inauguration Day.

If anyone thought Trump and his cult were going to go quietly you were completely delusional.

His fans haven't bothered to care about evidence, logic, or being reasonable at all in the last 4 years. What in god's name made you think they would now?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the smug "bedwetting" and "doomposting" down talk has been super annoying. As if this has been in the bag from the beginning. Shit was a freakin coin toss in so many states.
That was the election itself though. Now we are at the point where actually thinking Trump is going to pull off a coup and become a Palpatine style dictator and have Biden executed is just beyond extreme. Trump has had every lawsuit thrown out. Biden is handily winning the election.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
This forum generally has a problem with people being super condescending to anyone that they disagree with.

If you disagree then it's fine to say so, but the smug attitude and condescending parting shots are completely unnecessary.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to play it cool when you aren't first in line to be cleansed by the fascists.
As a black woman, some of y'all really do need to chill the fuck out.

I was beset with an unexpected reckoning with my emotions after the formal announcement of Biden's win finally broke the tension four years of fuckery that I haven't shaken off yet. I'm still on edge because now I've got another election to contend with, as well as the fact that the MAGA dunces aren't content to fuck off forever. On top of that, I have to be on ResetERA to some degree reading some of this shit. Do you think someone in my position wants to have to be beset with catastrophizing about how I'm gonna get snatched up behind a truck once Trump pulls of this ultimate coup every single fucking day?

Chill.

Just fucking chill.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Sure people can be more empathetic in general, but doompost that simply shout "There will be a civil war - hurry act now Americans. Fight for your country" should be banned entirely.

No warning. Enough is enough.
I agree with this. The endless doomposting that goes on around here isn't going to make things any better.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Too many are just off the wall theory's . The ones that have a good argument require like 50 things to go in Trump's favor for it to work. He's been losing all of November.

Last edited:

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I've said it in other threads but this thing is going to come down to a Mexican stand off in the Oval Office on Inauguration Day.

If anyone thought Trump and his cult were going to go quietly you were completely delusional.

His fans haven't bothered to care about evidence, logic, or being reasonable at all in the last 4 years. What is god's name made you think they would now?
This is the kind of stuff I could really do without reading. I mean, I just don't agree in any way.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
I mean there's a difference between concern and doomposting which becomes a vicious cycle of making people even more nervous. I'm concerned but still largely confident a peaceful transition will take place. I'm more worried about gaps in national security if Biden's team isn't able to hit the ground running. I don't expect Trump to be near the White House on January 20th.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that if people explain why they're more confident, as opposed to treating people disrespectfully who are sharing worried positions, then it's a chance to calm someone's nerves, rather than to dismiss someone's concerns.

But I think kneejerk doomposting doesn't help either, and can be so detrimental to mental health. Over the last four years this site has had way too many people suffering from legitimate feelings of self-harm, and I think that our habit of doomposting, always thinking the worst, and never level setting when something doesn't turn out as bad as we were projecting it would in our doomposts, legitimately harms mental health. I also think there's like a "Despair Olympics," where people try to out despair one another in an almost braggy way, like one upping the previous person on your level of despair and hopelessness, and then treating people who try to level-set as if they're the enemy... Like they're really Trump supporters because they believe the institutions will prevail.

This community has a strong share of people who have significant mental health challenges, and I think that the content that's often shared on here by people who are trying to outdo one another sharing despair contributes to that. 18-24 months ago there was a legitimate problem in this community of members talking about harming themselves, it's the only internet community that I've ever been a part of where it was this common of a problem. Sometimes if you have an anxious feeling, sharing it publicly to other people who also have anxious feelings doesn't actually help someone else's anxiety, it makes it worse. At the same time, downplaying anxiety, dismissing it, or worse, making fun of someone who shares an anxious feeling doesn't help anyone. Always try to take two seconds to educate someone why you're not as anxious about something, as opposed to just dismissing their feelings outright. At the same time for those sharing anxious feelings that might not be connected to reality: There's no reward for being right. Your anxiety might be right 1 out of 1000 times. Maybe you're anxious about flying, and you take 1000 flights in your life and before every flight you tell your loved ones that "I have a bad feeling about this flight..." And 999 times you land safely. But, the 1000th time, the plane blows up in midair and you die. Congratulations, your prediction that "you have a bad feeling about this flight" came to fruition, but you being wrong 999 times and finally right on the 1000th flight doesn't change the fact that you're dead, but those 999 times that you told a loved one "I have a bad feeling about this flight," made their anxiety worse those 999 prior times. So, what's the value in being right? Nothing.

"Doomposting" can sometimes be this: Predicting the worst outcome possible every time so that the one time that your worst outcome comes to fruition you feel like you can at least take some solace in the fact that "You predicted it! You knew it was coming! You got it right!" But there's no solace there, it doesn't actually make you feel better when that bad situation comes. We have a habit of self-selecting the times we got it right over the thousands of times before that we got it wrong, but the predictions don't change anything.

When it comes to the American election and the transition of power from Trump to Biden, I think that what Trump is doing is the worst thing that any president has done in well over a century. It's unprecedented. It's an abuse of power. It makes us, as Americans, less safe. It's an attack on our norms and Democratic values. Further, Trump has been insulated from reality by power-hungry Republicans who feel like it's in their interest to "Troll the libs" and that trolling the libs is better than actually trying to protect AMerican democracy. It's disheartening. But I also think it's the death throes of an administration. It's an Administration which is clearly defeated and on it's way out throwing one last tantrum. For anybody with kids, it's those times that your toddler absolutely freaks the fuck out when you're trying to put pants on them in the morning, that one last convulsion and window-rattling scream, before they submit and quietly suck their thumb and realize "oh.. pants aren't as bad as I was letting on a minute ago."

Here's a small handful of things to be optimistic about that we had been doomposting before the election:
  • The Russians did not hack our elections. How many articles in the last 4 years did you read about how the Russians were infiltrating election systems, and it could potentially unenroll Democratic voters? How many articles did you read about insecure election voting machines that could flip votes and cause chicanery? That didn't happen. More people voted in 2020 than at any time in American history. More Democrats voted than in any election ever.
  • COVID did not prevent a wholesale shutdown of our election system. Remember that fear? That Trump would try to unilaterally cancel the election on the grounds of COVID?
  • We feared mobs of militia, "3 percenters," Boogaloo Boys, and others, would try to cause a race war on election day or in the days following, firing at vote counters, causing chaos. That didn't happen. Election day was ... routine, mundane. The vote counting, again, was ... routine. SUre, there were protesters and counter-protesters, but, like, we didnt' even have a "Brooks Brothers Riot" like we had in 2000, so far.
  • The potential for an eviction crisis did not enfranchise voters as we were worried about. There was a fear that Republicans were intentionally not passing stimulus to force voters into eviction which would then nullify their mail in ballots because they wouldn't live in those precincts anymore. That didn't happen.
  • The election played our predictably and was a huge success for our Democratic institutions, state by state. Experts all predicted we wouldn't know the result until Saturday after election, and then, right on the nose at 11:45 AM EST Joe Biden was president elect.
  • Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Georgia all flipped in the days after the election, as most experts predicted they would. Arizona has held off, as most experts predicted they would.
Why am I confident that there will be a transition to Joe Biden? States have started to validate their votes officially. That process continues for the next 30 days or so. It's seemingly going on like clockwork. Trump is... what... 0/16 in court cases? 1/16 maybe? His one victory is phyrric, it's the case that's going to keep ballots submitted after election day separate in Pennsylvania. But, Biden already leads from ballots collected before or on election day. Trump's legal bills aren't being paid, his lawyers are giving up. There's more stories about Trump's failure than his success, far more stories about failure. Trump knows he lost, it's why he says he's going to run again in 2024. As we all know, Trump can't run in 2024 if he lost in 2020. Trump tries to project the reality that he wants to believe, and he says thiings over and over trying to make that reality so. Trump lives in a world that if he says something is real over and over and over and over, then he believes that it makes it real, and many of his supporters live in this world too... But, by and large, at least 10million more Americans don't live in this world, and increasingly more and more people are saying "eh ... give it up man." You've had major editorials in the WAll Street Journal, the National Review, and on FOX News the last 5 days basically saying "Donald, you're the greatest president of all time ... but ... you lost this one, it's time to move on." Sure, the people he surrounds himself with won't admit it, but they're getting ready to move on.

Trump has every interest in trying to destroy the country if he can't be at the top of it. But every day he slips further and further from his fantasy reality. Want something to look forward to? There's a legitimate, strong chance that COVID is going to be greatly reduced come March. Just a few months away. Vaccine trials have been more successful than many thought they would be and while not everybody in the country will have access to a vaccine in the next 6 months, enough people will and they'll be effective enough where you will truly see an improvement and the chance that most communities are "bad to normal" by April, May, or June is much higher than we thought just a few months ago. And, an even better thing? Donald Trump is going to be in forced retirement, and it was our anxious asses who retired him.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

His fans haven't bothered to care about evidence, logic, or being reasonable at all in the last 4 years. What in god's name made you think they would now?
Perfect example of catastrophying the current situation with implausible scenarios that just serve to stress out people; without any context, evidence or basis in reality.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
As a black woman, some of y'all really do need to chill the fuck out.

I was beset with an unexpected reckoning with my emotions after the formal announcement of Biden's win finally broke the tension four years of fuckery that I haven't shaken off yet. I'm still on edge because now I've got another election to contend with, as well as the fact that the MAGA dunces aren't content to fuck off forever. On top of that, I have to be on ResetERA to some degree reading some of this shit. Do you think someone in my position wants to have to be beset with catastrophizing about how I'm gonna get snatched up behind a truck once Trump pulls of this ultimate coup every single fucking day?

Chill.

Just fucking chill.

Pretty much. There were some that were condescending, but most were trying to inject so sanity and reason by dispelling all the conspiracy theories.

1. Most of trump's lawsuits are either shot down or withdrawn.
2. You can't have a successful coup without military support.
3. Faithless electors are not a thing, and won't happen but yet people keep going on and on about it.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish

The Oval Office itself bestows no power. Trump can barricade himself there and nothing changes. Once Biden is sworn in he is president.

Oct 28, 2017
Perfect example of catastrophying the current situation with implausible scenarios that just serve to stress out people; without any context, evidence or basis in reality.

The Mexican standoff part is a little over the top I admit....but the rest? Are you engaged with any right wingers on a daily basis and hear what their beliefs are? It's insanity. And I'm sorry but it's also our reality now.