• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
youtu.be

Tony Toni Tone - Just Me and You (Extended Version)

Tony Toni Tone - Just Me and You (Extended Version)

DBYRExNU0AEg8Rl.jpg

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Joe also deserves more love. I laughed when the Backstreet Boys actually did a cover of this and people who were only into Pop music didn't realize it was sung by someone else first.
www.youtube.com

No One Else Comes Close

Provided to YouTube by JiveNo One Else Comes Close · JoeAll That I Am℗ 1997 Zomba Recording LLCReleased on: 1997-07-27Composer, Lyricist: Joe ThomasComposer,...

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I'm a millenial and for one reason or another 90s R&B gives me a headache. I just don't like the production techniques I guess? Like clearly these people are talented singers. There are exceptions, but yeah. Just imagining some 90s-ass R&B-ass basslines and drum beats with whatever other instrumentation they throw in and the way their vocals sounded and grainy SD music videos makes me feel like taking a nap. Might be from overexposure on "easy listening" radio stations throughout my childhood. Even as a teen I couldn't stand Usher, for example.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
Let's be real - the song itself was the original "nice guy" anthem (my 13/14 year old self was one so I should know!)

A lot of these old school love songs come off as weird and desperate in retrospect.

Definitely. That reminds me I have a soft spot for that old romcom Just Friends with Ryan Reynolds, where I Swear is exactly that for the main character.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Toni Braxton left it all out on the field with Unbreak My Heart.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All the big ones have been posted so far here's two of my favs

SWV - Weak

Bell Biv Devoe-When Will I See You Smile Again

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Saw Boyz II Men in concert a couple weeks ago with Brian McKnight and El Debarge amongst others. All of them sounded amazing vocally. Miss those kinda songs so much.

OP
OP
Truly Gargantuan

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
fwiw tons of soundcloud era "rappers" are essentially r&b singers with some rap sprinkled in. but as for that 90's brand bombast, yeah there's not a lot of stuff like it now

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

youtu.be

112 - Cupid (Official Music Video)

Official Music Video for 112 - "Cupid" directed by Dante Ariola & Jay Papke from '112' (1996)Subscribe to the channel https://lnk.to/BadBoyYTSubIDWatch more ...

youtu.be

Something For The People - My Love Is The Shhh! - Music Video [1997]

Something For The People "My Love IS The Shhh! from the album "This Time Is Personal" 1997 Warner Bros. LabelChart Position1997 "My Love Is the Shhh!" Billbo...

youtu.be

Az Yet - Last Night (No Film Footage)

Az Yet's official music video for 'Last Night'. Click to listen to Az Yet on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/AzYetSpotify?IQid=AzYLNAs featured on Az Yet. Click ...

It's hilarious how some of these songs are down right dirty af, but we'd sing the hell out of them without realizing how nasty they really were, lololol.

Saw Boyz II Men in concert a couple weeks ago with Brian McKnight and El Debarge amongst others. All of them sounded amazing vocally. Miss those kinda songs so much.
That's like one of my dream concerts. Where was this at?

Last edited:

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
My friend. I can introduce you to an entire world of 90s R&B bops. The new jack swing era is untouchable.

youtu.be

Guy - Groove Me

REMASTERED IN HD!!Official Music Video for Groove Me performed by Guy .#Guy #GrooveMe #Remastered
I like this but new jack swing has proven polarizing to me. I either really like it or hate it haha.

damn, this K-ci & Jojo song reminded me that I did have some exposure to 90s slow jams. This restaurant I waited in once played an adult contemporary/R&B radio station that was mostly like Celine Dion and Toni Braxton but would slip in something like "All My Life". I've heard this song a million times and it's still pretty good.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
as cliche'd a saying as it is, they truly don't make music like this anymore
Joe also deserves more love. I laughed when the Backstreet Boys actually did a cover of this and people who were only into Pop music didn't realize it was sung by someone else first.
www.youtube.com

No One Else Comes Close

Provided to YouTube by JiveNo One Else Comes Close · JoeAll That I Am℗ 1997 Zomba Recording LLCReleased on: 1997-07-27Composer, Lyricist: Joe ThomasComposer,...
nobody begged for pussy quite like joe did

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
OP
OP
Truly Gargantuan

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like this but new jack swing has proven polarizing to me. I either really like it or hate it haha.
I get it. It can be incredibly hit or miss. Basically just listen to anything Teddy Riley produced. He's the guy that is credited with coming up with the sound (and he's the guy that found The Neptunes).

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Speaking OF...what happened to the R&B boy group!?

We just like...DON'T HAVE ANY anymore.

(And this is not to be confused with Pop boy bands; those are more or less still around).

I'm talking the group of 4 guys (sometimes 5...sometimes 3) crooning about love with church vocals. ALL the boys could sing, ALL the boys knew their vocal parts! The sexuality was more lyrical, not just blatant:

There's a meeeeeeeting in my bedrooooom
So girl please don't be laaa--eee--aa--eee--aaaaaa--eee--aaaaaaaatteeee
There's a meeting in my

bedroom bedroom bedroom bedroom bedroom BEDROOOOOM

And all these groups always had that ONE GUY who never sang a verse, but always came through with the big vocals at the end.

They just don't make em like that anymore.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a Maxwell thread now?
Yes

youtu.be

Maxwell - Whenever Wherever Whatever (Official 4K Video)

Official music video for ”Whenever Wherever Whatever” by MaxwellListen to Maxwell: https://Maxwell.lnk.to/listenYD Watch more Maxwell videos: https://Maxwell...

youtu.be

Luxury: Cococure (Remastered 2018)

Provided to YouTube by Columbia/LegacyLuxury: Cococure (Remastered 2018) · MaxwellEmbrya℗ 1998 Columbia Records, a division of Sony Music EntertainmentReleas...

youtu.be

Maxwell - Lifetime (Official HD Video)

Official HD music video for ”Lifetime'” by MaxwellListen to Maxwell: https://Maxwell.lnk.to/listenYD Watch more Maxwell videos: https://Maxwell.lnk.to/listen...

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone ever did love songs better than peak Stevie Wonder but yes I do miss 90s R&B ballads.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck you for calling me a Boomer

But yes, I do remember the days when Tevin Campbell was going to be the next Michael Jackson.

BoysIIMen
Jodeci
Toni, Tony, Tonee?
Shai
BBD
Babyface
TLC
Aaliyah
Brandy
Keith Sweat
Johnny Gill
Troop - All I do is think of you.

Sigh. I'm old.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone that is mostly listening to r&b and soul.... yes i am.

www.youtube.com

Johnny Gill - Let's Get The Mood Right (Official Video)

Music video by Johnny Gill performing Let's Get The Mood Right. (C) 1996 Motown Records, a Division of UMG Recordings, Inc.#JohnnyGill #LetsGetTheMoodRight #...
www.youtube.com

Joe - All The Things (Your Man Won't Do)

Joe's official music video for 'All The Things (Your Man Won't Do)'. Click to listen to Joe on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/JoeSpot?IQid=JoeATTAs featured on ...

By the way, what was wrong with Joe ? It seems like he's only hitting on girls already in a couple in every video.

Iamguess

Apr 7, 2021
It's more of a throwback to the 70s than the 90s, but if you're looking for new R&B that sounds old the Silk Sonic album is right there for you

www.youtube.com

Silk Sonic Billboard Music Awards 2022 Performance "Love's Train"

Music video by Bruno Mars, Anderson .Paak, Silk Sonic performing Silk Sonic Billboard Music Awards 2022 Performance "Love's Train". © 2022 Aftermath Entertai...

www.youtube.com

Bruno Mars, Anderson .Paak, Silk Sonic - Leave the Door Open [Official Video]

The official music video for Bruno Mars, Anderson .Paak, Silk Sonic's new single "Leave the Door Open"‘An Evening with Silk Sonic’ available now: https://Sil...

Today I learned that Dru Hill has a Love's Train cover...... not a fan, lol

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017

Let me lick you up and down
Till you say stop
Let me play wit yo body baby
Make you real hot
Let me do all the things you want me to do

my young ass singing this to girls lol was wild teenage years hahahaha.