• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
The new one:

The original, below, has been airing every holiday season in the United States since 1989:

I like the new one. It gives that holiday family warmth. A lot of people don't seem to be happy about it. I sort of understand as I am a fan of the original. For years, it sort of starts the holiday season for me. That last Kisses chocolate playing the bell enthusiastically to then clearing its brow with a 'phew' is honestly a lot of people's favorite part. I still would like to see the old one keep airing alongside the new one. Nevertheless, there's always YouTube to relive the classics.

Last edited:

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to know why would you change it?

Even this year they are still airing this one

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This and the horrible CGI M&Ms ad ("He does exist!" "They do exist!") are as much of a holiday standard as the Rankin & Bass specials to me.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Shortly before they started airing this one, they were also airing a full HD version of the original. I can't recall whether this is the first year for that or not.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
If the reaction to the argos ads was anything to go by, then some racist boomers are going to keel over seeing this

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
We all know exactly why folks are complaining about the new Hershey's commercial.

Here's a hint: It's not about their trash-tier chocolate.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
The crinkling sound of the wrapper in the new one makes me hate it. Cookies look great, though.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I don't mind the new one being a mix (I do love those kinds of cookies) but I do find it weird they'd bother changing it at all.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I hope they keep airing the original. I remember falling asleep with the TV on and having this hammered in my brain over the years.

Oct 27, 2017
Should have had the kid do a "phew" or something, idk. It's like they just hopped into a perfectly fine but completely different commercial.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Came in here prepared to be mad, but that new one is cute and still has a touch of the old one. Pretty good, imo.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
If the reaction to the argos ads was anything to go by, then some racist boomers are going to keel over seeing this
I almost wonder if that's why they would change the ad.

I could just see some ad agency saying that if they air it they get press and when they change it next year or keep it they get more press.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
It's been many years since I've watched broadcast TV and I actually forgot about traditional Christmas commercials.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
It's different but if they're swapping between this and the oldie, who cares. I like options so... Nice.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the person that made the original is a rockstar in the ad world.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
The original was annoying, in the old style of "let's blast something loud at the viewer so they pay attention to the ad." An ad that prompted me to change the channel more often than not, especially due to how frequently it aired. The new one only half fixes that, since they kept the opening.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It's been 31 years. They could pick a different song at least. Glad they went even further.

Yeah but a lot of Xmas is about tradition, otherwise we wouldn't still be watching Peanuts, Elf, Rudolph, and Grinch. Having a comfortable familiarity to go back to is part of the appeal.

Agree about using both so you never know being a good idea.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
i love the pennsylvania lottery commercial's modification of a classic christmas commercial

this is the original:

but it was 4:3 SD so instead of making a new one, they just... made that one again:

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
How dare they ruin my advertising, which was certainly always wholesome and not about making their shitty chocolate product seem appealing.

Reminder that Hershey themselves admit child slave labor probably contributes to their processes. But oh no my fucking commercial.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like it; it's cute. Plus it seems like they're airing both, so who cares?

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
As long as they still playing the original which is a damn masterpiece in advertising!! Only candy I truly think of when you say chocolate and christmas. Not even those advent calendars touch it.