• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
wow it's so amazing that people who grew up stateside are acclimated to this thing and don't mind it, but people who DIDN'T think it's GROSS

hahaha guys, did you hear the french eat... SNAILS?!?!?!

Oct 27, 2017
Come on now. Vomit has a very...'distinct' flavor lol.
The distinct flavour of vomit comes from butyric acid, an ingredient also found in Hershey's not typically used in non-American chocolates. People who grow up eating Hershey's usually don't notice it, but it can be obvious to people from elsewhere.

Every British person I've met who's tried a Hershey's chocolate bar has independently used the word "vomit" to describe it's flavour.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Hershey is awful, yes.

There's so many better chocolates in the US. Places that actually use chocolate and cocoa butter, and not SUGAR, as the first ingredients. Seriously, take a look at the label of most chocolate sold in the US. Just freaking awful.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up in the States and have had the good fortune to eat chocolate from Germany and other non-American producers. I hate to admit it, but raw Hershey's is pretty bad compared to the chocolate made outside of the US. If it's on a Reese's or a Snickers it's not a big deal, but I never eat just straight chocolate bars made in the US anymore. Too waxy, too much filler.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I'm very confused with the "acid vomit aftertaste" so many people have mentioned. I don't think anyone would argue it's high quality chocolate but... what? I don't taste anything even remotely close to that.

EDIT: This butyric acid thing is very interesting. It's one thing to be accustomed to the taste, but I don't even recognize any sour or acidity at all. Kinda crazy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hershey_bar

The process is a company and trade secret, but experts speculate that the milk is partially lipolyzed, producing butyric acid, which stabilizes the milk from further fermentation. This flavor gives the product a particular sour, "tangy" taste that the US public has come to associate with the taste of chocolate, to the point that other manufacturers often add butyric acid to their milk chocolates.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd heard about the vomit flavour and thought it couldn't possibly be true. Saw some in the international aisle of the supermarket a few months ago and thought I'd give it a try. Yup, it genuinely smells and tastes like vomit. Neat!

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
Hershey's is a guilty pleasure of mine, but i generally prefer using it in baking (i'll break up a bar and use chunks of it in chocolate chip cookies and stuff sometimes). i'm lucky enough to live in an area with a lot of local, specialty "indie" chocolatiers and confectioneries, and i have my tastes for a lot of the Euro producers, but sometimes you just want something cheap to hit that spot. im not always going to buy a Mast Brothers bar (and after some past revelations, probably wouldnt anyway) when i can nab a pack of Reese's cups or a Milky Way here and there. also, the vomit taste/scent is NUTS. ive thrown up an awful lot in my early to mid 20s, and there's no fucking timeline in the multiverse where that same taste is in a Hershey bar.

i think of it similarly to pizza. i grew up in an region with a huge variety of pizza styles and quality, from Old World to Old Forge, the ritzy-ass artisanal jawns to giant NY slices and deep Chicago style... and honestly, one of my all time favorite pies will always be a standard Pizza Hut medium pan with pepperoni. i wouldnt say a Hershey's is better than even Lindt or Ghirardelli, or even fuckin' Cadbury. and i'll always go to Scharffen Berger when im making a batch of hot chocolates. but damn, dude.

and as an aside, as the wise Freckle once said, "Sometimes things that are expensive... are worse."

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like it well enough but it's never been my preferred chocolate bar. I'll eat it and enjoy it if you give it to me but I'm not buying it.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
It's not good or even average chocolate, but the people who find it totally disgusting are usually the ones who didn't grow up eating it. People who ate it as kids aren't going to be grossed out by the "vomit" taste that Europeans notice when first trying it. Americans, like myself, who graduated to better chocolate just think of Hershey's as cheap crap rather than totally inedible.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The distinct flavour of vomit comes from butyric acid, an ingredient also found in Hershey's not typically used in non-American chocolates. People who grow up eating Hershey's usually don't notice it, but it can be obvious to people from elsewhere.

Every British person I've met who's tried a Hershey's chocolate bar has independently used the word "vomit" to describe it's flavour.
That's an interesting piece of information I wasn't aware of. Still curious though, if someone becomes so attuned to that 'flavor' by growing up eating Hershey's, then the flavor of vomit becomes, what, unnoticeable? Vomit still tastes repulsive any time I've ever had the unfortunate reason to throw up.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Don't u hate when u try something and it's just ok then your brain starts bashing on the inside of your skull and commands u that you're better than this and not only is this unacceptable but u must declare it to the world

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's an interesting piece of information I wasn't aware of. Still curious though, if someone becomes so attuned to that 'flavor' by growing up eating Hershey's, then the flavor of vomit becomes, what, unnoticeable? Vomit's still tastes repulsive any time I've ever had the unfortunate reason to throw up.

Our palates build up a tolerance to it over time. There is definitely a demonstrable difference in flavor between a Hershey bar and even a mid-level German chocolate bar, but the harshness of the butyric acid flavor is lessened by exposure.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've read quite a few times that it tastes like puke, though I'm curious if that applies to hersheys worldwide or if that's just a local phenomenon due to the hcf or possibly any other laxer regulations?

Oct 27, 2017
That's an interesting piece of information I wasn't aware of. Still curious though, if someone becomes so attuned to that 'flavor' by growing up eating Hershey's, then the flavor of vomit becomes, what, unnoticeable? Vomit's still tastes repulsive any time I've ever had the unfortunate reason to throw up.
I would speculate it's present in a much higher concentration in vomit. Even if someone doesn't notice it in chocolate, they certainly will in vomit.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
if you dont like this, then we're not gonna get along

81LqZM6EQ9L._SY355_.jpg

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it has its place. S'mores, etc.

Sure it's not as good as real chocolate, but it's kind of it's own thing. It's like, is Taco Bell better than a real traditional Mexican restaurant? Of course not. But sometimes you just want some Taco Bell.

Oct 28, 2017
I rather like it a lot. Often more than the "superior" European brands. Then again, America always has the best food so it's no surprise to be catching shade from Europeans about this.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
wait until easter, go the walgreens or something, and buy up all the non-hersheys/mars/nestle brand chocolate you can find, and then try to tell me hershey's is the worst with a straight face.

Why would I want to buy really bad chocolate when my local supermarket in the UK sells really excellent own-brand chocolate?

After "chocolate occasionally reminds consumers of the last time they tasted vomit, but at least it isn't like Easter Egg chocolate which tastes of desperation and soiled rags", how much lower do you go?

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not even an exaggeration, it's the worst chocolate I've ever tasted. It's very difficult to understand how anyone could like it but it's obviously very specific for the market it's created for who have become accustomed to that flavour.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
It's not good or even average chocolate, but the people who find it totally disgusting are usually the ones who didn't grow up eating it. People who ate it as kids aren't going to be grossed out by the "vomit" taste that Europeans notice when first trying it. Americans, like myself, who graduated to better chocolate just think of Hershey's as cheap crap rather than totally inedible.

People accustomed to eating vomit have no negative associations with vomit, CONFIRMED.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's horrible and it's always been horrible, but I believe it got worse. I tried it when I first moved to the states and NOPED out.

I had it recently and it was actually worse.

The best thing about Hershey's is that the british equivalent - Cadbury's Dairy Milk also entered the race to the bottom and ruined itself thoroughly a few years ago. Cocoa solids or something changed.

It's actually quite hard to buy reasonable tasting chocolate in a US grocery store. Ghirardelli also cheaped out on recipe and I really don't like Fran's. Oh and Lindt has been trash for years too.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I really can't recall ever being bothered by Hersheys (I loved the cookies and creme one as a kid) but I rarely eat chocolate like a few times a year. The Japanese market near me has a bunch of imported chocolate from Europe and Asia (Japanese Kit Kats are must if you haven't had them) but they are kind of pricey.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just realised that when I hear Americans talk about gram crackers in films and tv shows, they're actually saying graham crackers. Mind Blown.