• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
aren't pitbulls and Rottweiler responsible for most fatal attacks on humans? so why are people downplaying that saying poodles and other dogs are violent too, like the focus should be fatal attacks, getting my pants bitten by my neighbor's chihuahua counts as an attack, yet its pretty clear that attack doesn't compare with what the old man on the video went trough, so painting them as the same is weird

www.dogsbite.org

U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org

Annual U.S. dog bite fatality statistics from 2005 to present day recorded by DogsBite.org. Combined, multi-year dog bite fatality statistics are also included.
Pitbull Pitbull Pitbull Rottweiler Pitbull

Hm.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Not only is this not true, I believe most statistics bear out that pitbulls are not even the most common dog breed involved in attacks.
I'm going to guess they're probably up there amongst the top though? Along with other breeds that people often complain about?

Does anyone actually have the latest statistics?

edit: nevermind, just saw them. Yeah… I mean statistics just don't really support a lot of posts in this thread but statistics can also be used inappropriately. I have a lab/pitbull mix, just for the record.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to guess they're probably up there amongst the top though? Along with other breeds that people often complain about?

Does anyone actually have the latest statistics?

edit: nevermind, just saw them. Yeah… I mean statistics just don't really support a lot of posts in this thread but statistics can also be used inappropriately. I have a lab/pitbull mix, just for the record.
the stats don't support breed backed policies because there's not enough information. Instead people use their anecdotes and fear-mongering as actual evidence.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fucking hate off-leash or loose pits in Texas. My friends dog was just mauled to death by one literally last week in her own neighborhood. It was a gift from her late father when she graduated high school and now it's gone.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Pitbull Pitbull Pitbull Rottweiler Pitbull

Hm.

These are powerful animals we're talking about. I don't think anybody defending them in this thread is disputing that.

Aggression != power

Plenty of aggressive dog breeds (and don't get me started on cats) out there. Only the bigger dogs get shamed by their breed.

And there are infinitely more humans who should have never been stewards over animals in the first place.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Fucking hate off-leash or loose pits in Texas. My friends dog was just mauled to death by one literally last week in her own neighborhood. It was a gift from her late father when she graduated high school and now it's gone.

Obviously you're going to see the usual folks do the whole "this wouldn't have happened if they were properly trained" song and dance as if that nullifies the very real factors in play here with their genetic instinct and physical attributes geared towards inflicting severe bite damage. I do believe that any pit trained from birth can overcome much of their innate aggressive/damaging instinct but the fact that they're attuned to attributes like that from birth should be a major red flag to any potential owner. Straight up, if I see a pit on the street on leash or off then I'm avoiding it. I'm not a psychic, I can't infer how every dog I walk past on the street was raised and it's in my best interest to treat every pit I see as untrained.
yeah the neighbors dog across the way in the cul de sac is out off leash with their owners sometimes when they're outside and idk if its a pit mix, but it's just annoying. I can't take my dog out on a leash wondering if their dog is going to come outside at some point and who knows how they'll act. My dog is the friendliest dog I know, but on a leash he loves barking at other dogs he sees and idk if that will trigger some off leash dog, especially potentially aggressive breeds.

In my Mom's neighborhood I was walking him with his training collar on and some owner was outside doing something with her car and her husky was outside with her off leash and came walking across the street to my dog cuz he was barking. He just wanted to sniff her and say hello but then she made a sudden movement and it scared him so he was running around, basically hurting himself on the training collar, and the damn owner didn't get up and come over until like 30 seconds later smfh as I was struggling to separate them. So annoying.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So how do dogs get that aggressive without any provocation like that. Nor any commands from an owner.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Glad to see the man survived. Good on the neighbors for helping and hopefully the owners see prison time for this. Pit bulls need to go. Why a breed created solely for bloodsport still exists is beyond me.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully those monstrosities get put down and the owners thrown into jail. Bless those neighbors for saving the man.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
He fought about as much as he could. Wasn't much more he could do against 2 dogs like that. If not for those two guys who saved him he was absolutely going to die.

If that's as much as he could fight then I guess he might as well lay down. He could have jumped on the car, in the car assuming it's his or into the house.

He seemed to be holding back or just in shock I guess. Oh well good thing he got rescued.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The breed of dog isn't the problem. It's the people that own any breed of dog who allow or train their dogs to engage in this type of behavior that are the problem.
Poorly trained dogs will always be a problem in society and I genuinely don't think 70% of people who own dogs have the capacity for the type of training and attention they actually require. I've had my fair share of lousy interactions with non-pits. I wouldn't classify what you said as misinformation like someone else did but it doesn't sit right with me. To completely ignore the fact that this specific breed was selectively engineered over time by selective breeding to be suited towards aggression and bite damage? That's not just intellectually lazy but it's actively dangerous.

I'm not making excuses for lousy owners but isn't it worth examining WHY these breeds have such a propensity towards aggression without that rigorous training? We're not talking about humans here, traits specific to dog breeds and how that manifests via natural instinct regardless of training is a very real and very relevant phenomenon here. I think it's throwing the baby out with the bath water to just brush right past that aspect.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Shitty owners who focus on these bigger and more muscular breeds because they want to be all macho and shit and raise them that way.
What do they actually do to them, though?

Most dogs are mega friendly. Just very disturbing seeing dogs just randomly attack a man like that unprovoked.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Poorly trained dogs will always be a problem in society and I genuinely don't think 70% of people who own dogs have the capacity for the type of training and attention they actually require. I've had my fair share of lousy interactions with non-pits. I wouldn't classify what you said as misinformation like someone else did but it doesn't sit right with me. To completely ignore the fact that this specific breed was selectively engineered over time by selective breeding to be suited towards aggression and bite damage? That's not just intellectually lazy but it's actively dangerous.

I'm not making excuses for lousy owners but isn't it worth examining WHY these breeds have such a propensity towards aggression without that rigorous training? We're not talking about humans here, traits specific to dog breeds and how that manifests via natural instinct regardless of training is a very real and very relevant phenomenon here. I think it's throwing the baby out with the bath water to just brush right past that aspect.

As i pointed out earlier, Rottweilers, on the whole, are a bigger and stronger breed than pitbulls.

So why isn't this association with violence and extinction so dominant with their breed? I can think of reason. And that reason is rooted in why pitbulls went from being called "America's Dog" to being associated with violence and thuggery.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Timely post. Had two dogs sprint full tilt at me from a good 30+ yards today. They looked like some border collie mix. They circled me growling while one actually nipped at my thigh. Put a small hole in my sweatpants but didn't break skin. Owners let them go free in a soccer field with nearby hiker/joggers.

With that said, fuck you and your dog if you let them go without a leash without proper training. They aren't your babies, they're animals with the ability to maul. If I was a child that actually ran from those two dogs things would have probably turned out very different.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Era has argued about bully breeds for years now and the threads are never productive despite the presentation of data regarding the statistics of these attacks. On top of that, dog attack threads generally constitute shock value threads. There is nothing informative to be gleaned from watching someone be mauled by a dog. As a result, this thread will be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.