• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the bolded is flat out wrong. unless by environment you mean centuries of purposeful breeding. just like every living thing its nature and nuture. dont deny what the nature of the breed is.

It is not flat wrong. Good care and proper training matters a lot. If an owner is negligent or abuses their dog that also matters. Dogs that are neglected or abused are going to become more aggressive by nature. Dogs who are properly cared for and trained will not. Dogs behavior and temperament is a direct result of how they were raised from when they were a puppy.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit they were out for blood. Fuck shitty owners who raise dogs to be killing machines, can't even keep the fuckers on a leash or indoors. It's why I always put a leash on my cocker even if I'm only in my front garden, it only takes one bad moment from an unleashed dog and something terrible could happen.
I've seen too many dogs run into wherever the fuck chasing a bird, squirrel, what have you.

"My dog is fine/trained to be without a leash!"

"Then why the fuck is your dog down the block?"

You can't untrain evolution. Sure you can try tho.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Yep. Was just mentioning the context. And I agree. Got to me before my edit.

Foul number one was not having these dogs leashed.

LEASH YOUR DOGS

I chastise people in the street all the time even if it's a little barking fuck. Not because I'm scared of it, but because it will undoubtedly one day run into the street or a bigger dog and die. Ticking time bomb.
Exactly.

The problem is too many people conflate "love your pets" with "humanize your pets."

You should love your pets, or else you don't deserve them. But you should never humanize them. They're animals. I've always found this quite creepy.

Humanizing your pets leads to shit like not leashing them, not properly fortifying their areas, not properly and safely socializing them with other humans and/or animals. Because you see them as your "whittle baby" when, no, it's an animal.

Its telling to me, at least, that the only time I've been bitten was never by one of my dogs, or even an "aggressive breed."

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
It is not flat wrong. Good care and proper training matters a lot. If an owner is negligent or abuses their dog that also matters. Dogs that are neglected or abused are going to become more aggressive by nature. Dogs who are properly cared for and trained will not. Dogs behavior and temperament is a direct result of how they were raised from when they were a puppy.
their behavior is also a direct result of their instincts and genetics. you ever see puppy pointers? they start pointing at toys and birds early on. that isn't taught. you ever see hog hunting dogs? they have a full bite on toys. that isn't taught. its no different with dogs that descended from game dogs. you're not getting rid of instincts with a handful of milkbones and positive reinforcement. understanding the dog you have and caring for it means acknowledging that your dog can be dangerous.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
A dachshund sent my niece to the emergency room, so maybe not generalize by breed?

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I've seen too many dogs run into wherever the fuck chasing a bird, squirrel, what have you.

This is another thing: people can train their dogs, but in year 2 of a global pandemic in which hundreds of thousands of people are actively worsening the situation through negligence, magical thinking, or actual malice, why am I being asked to assume anyone is doing the right thing?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
HOLY SHIT, the vid is harrowing to look at!
It puts into perspective how dangerous strays or vicious dogs can be!

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
that's a false equivalency.

if a dachshund went after an adult like in the vid, they'd be stomped on once and the man wouldn't be in the hospital.
Yep. Pitbulls are tanks. I don't think there's a more tank-like build on a dog. There are undoubtedly bigger breeds tho.

One of my buddy's make me anxious as fuck when I'm around him. Mainly because I've seen it maul his chihuahua. Usually it's fine.

When dogs snap, it's scary, crazy, and you literally don't know what to do.

When large breeds snap like that... good luck.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Pitbulls are tanks. I don't think there's a more tank-like build on a dog. There are undoubtedly bigger breeds tho.
Its now the trend of mixing pit/staffys with mastiffs like cane corsos and the like to keep the bully appearance, but adding on an extra 50+ lbs of muscle.

most people would be shocked by how small pure pit/staffys are.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Its now the trend of mixing pit/staffys with mastiffs like cane corsos and the like to keep the bully appearance, but adding on an extra 50+ lbs of muscle.

I had read about that but didn't realize it was as common. Yeah, those pups can get insanely large and built. I imagine they have health issues due to all the extra weight but I didn't research too much. Blind guess would be hip displasia.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017

R.b3087d15067528690a8e4505b114b824

Mulberry

Oct 28, 2017
Here is a study reported in the AVMA.
Objective—To examine potentially preventable factors in human dog bite–related fatalities (DBRFs) on the basis of data from sources that were more complete, verifiable, and accurate than media reports used in previous studies.

Conclusions and Clinical Relevance—Most DBRFs were characterized by coincident, preventable factors; breed was not one of these. Study results supported previous recommendations for multifactorial approaches, instead of single-factor solutions such as breed-specific legislation, for dog bite prevention.
https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.243.12.1726

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
where did i reference data? what i said was obviously anecdotal. i have interest in working breeds and follow in enthusiast forms and other social media.
then don't cite your notions as scientific which you did

get out of here with your anti science rhetoric and keep it to FB groups
you don't know what the fuck you're talking about and better yet you're telling people to keep to FB groups while stating "i have interest in working breeds and follow in enthusiast forms and other social media."

clown shoes all around

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Rotty?

Had a half rotty doberman. Was slender compared to a purebred lol

Do they tend to get more built than your typical pitbull? Rottweiler hadn't crossed my mind but yeah, you might be right.

Edit* great photo by the way!
Purebred Rottweiler males get huge. Much bigger than pitbulls and with greater jaw strength. They're formidable animals that must be raised with love and care.

They're also insanely goofy, prone to arthritis, and really love butt scratches. Like...a lot

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Purebred Rottweiler males get huge. Much bigger than pitbulls and with greater jaw strength. They're formidable animals that must be raised with love and care.

They're also insanely goofy, prone to arthritis, and really love butt scratches. Like...a lot
Ahh, thanks for the info!

Good ol' large monstrous lovable rotties!

I don't see them around much anymore. I live in the city which probably explains it but I recall seeing them a lot more when I was younger and the area was less gentrified lol

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This happened to my cousin and his 12yo Jack Russell knocked them both onto their asses and gave him time to get the door of his house open.

Yesterday one of my neighbors' Dobermans was loose and showing aggression. I had my knife out by the time they came and grabbed it. More of a folding machete, really. I only bought it because seemingly my whole neighborhood is keeping big dogs in their apartments and letting them outside.

Last edited:

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was the owner found, or is this still too recent?

This is why I'm so sketched out by the number of dog owners in my area who let their dogs do whatever the fuck leashless. It really doesn't seem like you'll know if some of them are gonna be aggressive or not until they're already on you.

Oct 27, 2017
bully breeds were breed for aggression and to be game. saying otherwise is ignoring genetics & history and leads to situations where people have way more dog than they're capable of handling responsibly. sure a bad owner can make any dog aggressive, but its easier to do with game dogs which bully mixes are. saying shit "like blame the owner not the breed" is irresponsible.

It's rich being told you're anti-science from somebody who misconstrues the genetic history of molosser breeds so erroneously.

The term "bully" comes from particular molosser breeds well after they were first crossbred with terriers for the sport of bull-baiting. Those breeds were originally referred to as bull and terriers and later on "bully" was used to define any dog that shared traits of the Bulldog. Nobody argues the fact that Staffordshires, Bull Terriers and Bulldogs were bred with certain behavioral and physical traits in mind and this has never been in question.

At the same time, you should really study up on the history of certain breeds and you'd come to find out that after bullbaiting was outlawed, the vast majority of Staffordshire, Bull Terrier and Bulldog lines were selectively outcrossed and eventually linebred to develop these breeds into livestock guardians, estate guardians and game hunters. The fact that certain people continued to use them as fighting dogs or some dogs with-in the breed are poorly bred by backyard breeders and exhibit poor temperament doesn't change the fact that the aforementioned breeds today are not the same dogs they were bred to be almost 200 years ago.

Also "bully breeds"? Ovcharka's, Cane Corso's, Bull Mastiffs, Rottweilers, Great Danes, Boxers and Dogos, just to name a few. All are incredibly different temperamentally and their original purposes ranged from being big game hunters to livestock guardians to estate guardians to cattle drivers and beyond. Might as well give them (well Rotties already unfairly have it) the same reputation as the small handful of breeds people think encompass the entirety of the bully breeds.

People who fail to grasp what a "bully breed" actually is while stereotyping dogs as something that they're not don't help solve the issue of bad owners, bad breeding and people owning dogs that have no business being tasked with caring for particular breeds. Over the past few decades it's been Bull Terriers, GSD's, Rotties and Dobies that have taken turns in the conscience of those who are determined to paint certain breeds as problematic. I wonder what breed will be the next flavor of the decade.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

I can't stand these kind of idiots. My family has had big dogs (shepherds) all my life and the worst was when I'm trying to take them for a walk and some idiot with a small dog has theirs unleashed. It inevitably comes over to me and my dog yapping. I make it a point to secure my dog and grab him and hold him nearer to me. Even if its not me or my dog's fault I don't want to be responsible for a poor little dog possibly getting hurt because their owner is a fucking inconsiderate prick.

Same thing with strangers who inevitably approach my dog and ask "is he friendly?" as an invitation to pet them, as if that would somehow passes off any liability they might have for their actions. Like, yeah, he's friendly with me. He's my dog. I have no idea what he's going to do to you, because he's a fucking dog. Maybe just stay away from him?

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Outlaw violently aggressive breeds anywhere but an owners property.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Like, yeah, he's friendly with me. He's my dog. I have no idea what he's going to do to you, because he's a fucking dog. Maybe just stay away from him?
LOL

YO, exactly

I had this one dog that was just a neurotic mess a lot of the time. She loved people! Loved loved! Never hurt a human.

She, however, would maul and murder anything not walking on two legs. So when an unleashed dog would come my way, if I saw it, I literally ran in the other direction. If I didn't, I'm literally kicking this unleashed dog away so it won't get mauled to death. That shouldn't be my job LOL

Mind you, I was usually able to read her if she was going to end up in "kill-mode" but not always, sometimes she would just snap before I had a chance to react. Many tussles have been broken up with that dog. Luckily never killed anyone's actual pet.

Really strange dog and the only one I've owned who acted like that.

Oct 27, 2017

Now you've veered off into a discussion about backyard breeders who are breeding dogs without any genetic testing, health testing or temperament in mind. You're all over the place here and you're misrepresenting breeds of dogs based on people who have no business owning dogs let alone breeding them in order to introduce a whole host of genetic issues into their mixes.

I know you're eminently focussed on "bully breeds" but we could have the same discussion about Dalmatians and the host of neurological issues and aggressive temperaments introduced into that breed after 101 Dalmatians sent the popularity of the breed into overdrive amongst the general public. We could also talk about how Dachshunds, Chihuahuas, JRT's and Beagles are constantly at the top of the list in canine aggression and dog bite statistic studies and the poor breeding practices that have affected those breeds.

Oct 25, 2017
"Stable condition" the guy has a trach looking at the video. He is stable but he was messed up bad. That is nuts. Charges need to be filed against the owners. Holy shit.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
bully breeds were breed for aggression and to be game. saying otherwise is ignoring genetics & history and leads to situations where people have way more dog than they're capable of handling responsibly. sure a bad owner can make any dog aggressive, but its easier to do with game dogs which bully mixes are. saying shit "like blame the owner not the breed" is irresponsible.

>Calls people defending pitbulls anti-science.
>Cites zero sources.

Yep, about par for the course for a thread like this. On the contrary, it's y'all that are vehemently against breeds like pitbulls that are the more emotional argumenters here.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
I'm just happy people can't get their hands on Tibetan Mastiff and Cane Corso easily.

My family has a big blue nose pitbull and she isn't violent or aggressive.

The truth of the situation is that some dog breeds do take more to raise and certain people aren't fit to raise them.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just happy people can't get their hands on Tibetan Mastiff and Cane Corso easily.
Another one.

I have friends with Tibetan Mastiffs. As for Cane Corso's, they're a breed of dog that I'm very familiar with and have spent plenty of time around.

These monstrous killers just about eat up my Great Danes and have viciously attacked my family members at every chance they get. I wish somebody would have told me.

Italian Mastiffs are one of the fastest growing breeds by registration, for your information. So it seems like there are plenty of them around. As somebody who owns a terrier, you should understand the danger of feeding into these silly narratives.

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Pitbulls can be angels.

Shitty dogs are a reflection of shitty owners. It's not breed specific. There's a reason why a lot of rescue dogs trend to fear men. Men tend to be the shittiest and abusive owners. I guarantee these dogs were owned by a douche.

Thank goodness this poor guy is alive. The dogs were definitely not far off from killing him.

Oct 27, 2017
aren't pitbulls and Rottweiler responsible for most fatal attacks on humans? so why are people downplaying that saying poodles and other dogs are violent too, like the focus should be fatal attacks, getting my pants bitten by my neighbor's chihuahua counts as an attack, yet its pretty clear that attack doesn't compare with what the old man on the video went trough, so painting them as the same is weird

www.dogsbite.org

U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org

Annual U.S. dog bite fatality statistics from 2005 to present day recorded by DogsBite.org. Combined, multi-year dog bite fatality statistics are also included.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Another one.

I have friends with Tibetan Mastiffs. As for Cane Corso's, they're a breed of dog that I'm very familiar with and have spent plenty of time around.

These monstrous killers just about eat up my Great Danes and have viciously attacked my family members at every chance they get. I wish somebody would have told me.

Italian Mastiffs are one of the fastest growing breeds by registration, for your information. So it seems like there are plenty of them around. As somebody who owns a terrier, you should understand the danger of feeding into these silly narratives.

Nothing wrong with being happy I don't see a lot of these big breeds. Because a lot of the time people who aren't mentally fit to have them do end up getting them. I never said I have anything against the dogs.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
As long as we're sharing personal anecdotes with no basis in reality, the only time a dog has sent me to the emergency room was a Chow and I've owned "bully" breeds of all shapes and sizes.

Also "pit bull" isn't a breed, it's a moniker shared by several breeds of dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.