• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Then there's Bigby from The Wolf Among Us/Fables who has varying stages of werewolf until he breaks his glamor completely and turns into a damn giant wolf when extremely pissed

giphy.webp

51d63b4e235b849afc26a852b2a3d6a6.gif

He's stronger than most people in base human and stronger than almost every monster in first form werewolf. Full wolf is just fuck you mode

The Porcupine Grongi episode of Kamen Rider Kuuga.

For those who aren't familiar with the series, Kamen Rider Kuuga is a about a dude named Godai who becomes a Kamen Rider the awakening of an ancient tribe of monsters known as the Grongi. What makes the Grongi stand out amongs most other Kamen Rider villains is that their goal is nothing other than killing humans for sport.

Their murders are set up like games where they each have to target particular following specific killing methods, a lot of them being very sadistic in nature. It's because of this that the Grongi are generally considered the cruelest and most detestable group of villains in the entire Kamen Rider media franchise.

Godai's most defining character trait as a protagonist is that he is incredibly optimistic and good natured in spite of what he fights against on the regular. What keeps him going is his desire to "protect people's smiles". He acts a foil to grongi ideology as he acts as a symbol of good and love of life as opposed to their immense cruelty.

For a long while, Godai manages to keep his cool in spite of the many gruesome events he witnesses as he fights the Grongi. Cue the halfway point of the series, where a new Grongi, nicknamed the Porcupine Grongi by fans due to the use of quills in its design, begins to participate in the murder game. This one is hateable even amongst other Grongi due to his chosen targets and killing method:

The Porcupine Grongi's targets are students at an All-Boys Junior High School. He kills multiple students by stealthily injecting one of his quills into their bodies, which later on enters the brain and causes an incredibly painful anuerysm. There is one scene where a family watches in horror as their hospitalized child dies from this.

Combined with the stress from previous Grongi that Godai killed, this one particular monster was so terrible that when Godai walks in on it as it is trying to attack another victim, he kicks it out of a window and proceeds to unleash a beatdown so uncharacteristically brutal compared to how he typically fights that he himself is crying as he does it. After he finally ends the Grongi, there is a poignant scene Godai just stares off into the distance, partially obscured by the smoke from the explosion resultant from the porcupine's death. This is by far one of the most uncomfortable and chilling episodes in Kamen Rider history.

Last edited:

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Delenn from Babylon 5.

Throughout the first 3 seasons she plays the peacemaker, working behind the scenes to bridge the gap between Minbari and Humans, and the other races. Trying to build a coalition to fight the coming evil, and working against the war spreading across the galaxy. She is by far the most calm and peaceful of all the main characters. then half way through season 3 civil war breaks out, she completely loses her temper, breaks Minbarai society in half and then returns to Babylon 5 with a Minbari fleet to protect it against the human military about to destroy. She's cold and visibly angry, speaking in a way she hasn't ever done before and clearly on the edge of just flipping out.

"This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw or be destroy"
"Negative, we have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ships"
"Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else".

It was totally out of character for her, and really marked a key point in the shows story as it shifted to a full war footing and broke with the setting in a way you didn't expect in science fiction at the time.

She was very, very pissed.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kit has that Iron Giant shit going on

maxresdefault.jpg

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The opening few minutes and entire final episode of Hannibal Season 2. The opening is a clip from the finale.

No spoilers, but a huge part of the show is Made Mikkelsen's portrayal if the calm, suave and sophisticated Dr. Lecter, and in these moments the mask is truly off.

The juxtaposition is dramatic. The opening of S2 was truly something.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
xIXmo.gif

John Cena embracing the hate obvs
(lol no, I kid, but face wrestlers blowing their top can be pretty fun)

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
Current Manga Deku has had enough of the bullshit. He's just done.

1624124563137.png

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When Columbo meets a killer whose disregard for human life is particularly egregious, Peter Falk sells it so well. Columbo clearly tries to stay in character when dealing with his suspects, so when they're bad enough to make him break? You know shit is going down.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
FWIW, I started watching Dr Who not long ago and began with Rose, and I'm really enjoying it, warts and all. I'm really glad I didn't miss out on the Ninth Doctor. (Aka the first of the new Who, which I'm clarifying for the poster you're replying to)
well yeah a giant portion of us started with rose and still enjoy it just fine, not knowing someone's cheese tolerance I still think 11th hour is a better starting point for most people, particularly if i don't know anything about them.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
The opening few minutes and entire final episode of Hannibal Season 2. The opening is a clip from the finale.

No spoilers, but a huge part of the show is Made Mikkelsen's portrayal if the calm, suave and sophisticated Dr. Lecter, and in these moments the mask is truly off.

The juxtaposition is dramatic. The opening of S2 was truly something.

The. Best. What an episode. What a show.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Doctor from Doctor Who can get pretty scary when he gets pushed too far especially the Tenth and Twelfth Doctors .
That first one with the Tenth has always stuck with me. In the end they all got their wish just not in the way they wanted it.

Looking back at some clips he was always seen as a person on the edge who could easily slip but pulls himself back.

Some honorable mentions; 9th Doctor (Cassandra "Everything has it's end"), and 11th Doctor ("Colonel Runaway") - YouTube Video showing some dark moments 9th/10th/11th Doctors with potential spoilers

Don't forget when

he literally broke his character and was no longer the "Doctor"
tumblr_mn0i10JAvv1qm1x8bo2_500.gif

Oct 29, 2017
It seems like we're getting there with Deku, if the most recent chapter is any indication.

He looks like a straight up demon in the latest chapter.

It's funny; Midoriya always looked up to All Might and wanted to be a hero like him. But finally reaching that level has made him more isolated than he ever was.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
The Simpsons episode where Marge is quietly disappointed in Bart after he gets caught shoplifting Bonestorm really upset me as a kid. It felt too real.

Jun 17, 2019
Ciel Phantomhive and Elizabeth Midford from Black Butler.

Typically Ciel is a calm and calculated character who thinks he can't be had, and there are two times that he becomes scary for different reasons.

First was during the circus arch where he learns the main villain he is up against is kidnapping children and drugging them abusing them, possibly sexually. He loses it and shoots the main point blank. No quips or comments, just cold precision. Then had his Demon butler burn the place down.
40416ca3ea1b270a138334941a6fb69ea96c8755_hq.jpg

Second time is when he's been mad ill and he ends up reverting to his childhood and a very deep trauma that worries his friends.

Lizzie on the other hand is typically a cheerful girl until you hurt her beloved
She will kick your ass bing a double handed swordsmen and is so strong that she nearly bested a demon and beat up a number of zombies and almost went after a Grim reaper.
tumblr_inline_o7hg7rmt3L1twukjo_540.gifv

The rest of the cast is badges too.

A gardener who is sweet until you hurt his friends then he can throw a china cabinet at you.

A clumsy maid who is a crack shot sniper former assissin.

The older butler likes tea and can cut bullets with a katana.

The cook who can't cook is a bomb maker.

And the footman who is shy also controlled snakes.

Beware the nice ones in this series all the damn time, they will kill you. That is not yo mention the side characters either.
e12f55e3ca4128470914945339f82793947a7c51_hq.jpg

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Ippo Makunouchi from Hajime no Ippo is a good, kind-hearted, honest young man who had talent for boxing.
ef5657808c0b3108afe33b7829b40412.png

While those were outside of the ring, he's also a professional boxer when inside.
pp,840x830-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

There were times shown his "breaking the character" like when some other boxer "stealing" his most wanted opponent to box with & when someone talking shit about his trainer.
jQTlKJB.png

And when he's taking disciple, teaching all the boxing experiences, only that disciple to betray his teaching & use boxing for violence instead.
xinc1c60t9151.jpg

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
My favorite was Gon (in the OP). It was visually cool, foreshadowed heavily, and had a satisfying/heartbreaking conclusion.

Not sure if it counts, but Zenitsu from Demon Slayer going into sleep-mode is always satisfying.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ippo Makunouchi from Hajime no Ippo is a good, kind-hearted, honest young man who had talent for boxing.
ef5657808c0b3108afe33b7829b40412.png

While those were outside of the ring, he's also a professional boxer when inside.
pp,840x830-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

There were times shown his "breaking the character" like when some other boxer "stealing" his most wanted opponent to box with & when someone talking shit about his trainer.
jQTlKJB.png

And when he's taking disciple, teaching all the boxing experiences, only that disciple to betray his teaching & use boxing for violence instead.
xinc1c60t9151.jpg

Takamura certainly counts too. He's always so arrogant and caual in his fights, but when he gets serious you know it's over.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if it counts but Goku is usually a lovable goof, even fighting universe ending threats. But once in a while he gets like really really angry, like with Frieza in Namek. Actually he never got like this even during the Cell saga (maybe when fighting in SS3?) and during the Boo saga I don't even remember any other moment like that. Goku snapping after Frieza killed Krilin was something else.

Takamura certainly counts too. He's always so arrogant and caual in his fights, but when he gets serious you know it's over.

I remember Hawk hitting the old man or something during the fight. That moment was the end of that fucker.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember Hawk hitting the old man or something during the fight. That moment was the end of that fucker.

Don't forget that time Takamura was fighting Bison and saw how scared Kamogawa was for him. When Takamura realised he was the one making Kamogawa so sad he got so angry that the fight ended almost instantly. Bonus points for effortlessly showing Ippo how to do the thing he was trying to learn, proving that Takamura really does want everyone at the gym to succeed and make Kamogawa proud.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Uncle Phil (and orginal Vivian). Sure he's always a little intimidating but he's mostly nice and harmless, but when he's angry and protective you wouldn't want to get in his way.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if it counts but Goku is usually a lovable goof, even fighting universe ending threats. But once in a while he gets like really really angry, like with Frieza in Namek. Actually he never got like this even during the Cell saga (maybe when fighting in SS3?) and during the Boo saga I don't even remember any other moment like that. Goku snapping after Frieza killed Krilin was something else.
There's this, but it's kind of unclear whether he was really threatening Kaioshin or if he was bluffing

4STv82s.png

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
When Lucifer stops being a goofy, smug, brash idiot and starts to get serious and uses his devil face to traumatize murderers

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
big LOST SPOILERS

ben-linus.jpg

Michael Emerson is always very impressive.

the ever manipulative Ben Linus, he's a small man. He often gets others to do his dirty work through deception -
look how he had Michael free him and murder both Anna Lucia and Libby, didn't bat an eye, didn't lift a finger.

but with his back against the wall, and he can't talk himself out of a situation, he's a cold blooded killer -hanging Locke, burning Jacob, gassing his family, the list goes on.

my favorite tv villain of all time, and I applaud the team for not going "all the way" with his redemption at the end

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
The Lost Galaxy rangers threaten to kill a man:

Context:
In the previous episode, Psycho Pink killed the Pink Galaxy Ranger in a really good, two-part crossover with the In Space rangers. When the Pink Ranger died, her Quasar Saber (the mcguffin of the season) flew into space. Now, this episode begins with the rangers following a lead to some planet and threatening to kill this dude if he doesn't tell them where the saber is. The rangers were DESPERATE to find that thing.