• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, they ported a couple PS3 Tomb Raider games, that is clearly a very close relationship.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Of course you were. It's common sense really and it's time for those with the history, natural growths, "Sony will never just purchase a random company" to eat crow in the morning, middle of the day and evening for a week.

For what it's worth , it's absolutely not random. It's a smart purchase that makes sense.

It's just that - context always matters.

Like if Sony one day acquires a big studio with major talent/IP/pedigree, that would not be random too. That would be an acquisition made because of their non-first party partnership history that they proved themselves.

The main takeaway is that PR gonna PR, and never assume what they say in these interviews to be what they deeply truly believe deep down in their hearts, especially when it's about business.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Welp, chalk this one up as an example of a PlayStation executive saying something in an interview and then proceeding to do the exact opposite. With that said, if the objective is PC ports, then Nixxes is a top tier get.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
For what it's worth , it's absolutely not random. It's a smart purchase that makes sense
I mean of course, but what people meant with random are purchases of a company they according to the resetera user never had a history with.

I am not against the purchase. I am just making fun of those people that mental gymnastics their favorite company into a higher moral ground for acquisitions.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I mean, it's definitely a targeted acqusition if the aim of the studio is to port their games to PC. Plus I'm guessing they might be an additional support studio

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna need Jim or Herman to say in an interview that "there's no way we are bringing back Legend of Dragoon."

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
I mean of course, but what people meant with random are purchases of a company they according to the resetera user never had a history with.

I am not against the purchase. I am just making fun of those people that mental gymnastics their favorite company into a higher moral ground for acquisitions.

Some of those same users complain about possible job loss with other acquisitions while also ignoring their favorite company shutting down a studio this year...

Anyways both studios seem like very good acquisitions. Makes sense to me, but then again I don't have a big issue with acquisitions to begin.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Some of those same users complain about possible job loss with other acquisitions while also ignoring their favorite company shutting down a studio this year...

Anyways both studios seem like very good acquisitions. Makes sense to me, but then again I don't have a big issue with acquisitions to begin.
Exactly and that annoys me. It's not about Sony, Microsoft or whatever. It's about the arguments and how they are used for one, but not for the other.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
If Nixxes stops porting bad Square Enix games to PC and starts porting good Playstation Studios games to PC, I'll consider this a net win.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Wait how is this purchase even worth being criticized for? Or am I misreading? They're just a company that ports games to PC? How is that anyway similar to companies that create actual unique games like Insomniac or Bethesda? It just looks like a company that will help provide PS exclusives to the PC?

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Wait how is this purchase even worth being criticized for? Or am I misreading? They're just a company that ports games to PC? How is that anyway similar to companies that create actual unique games like Insomniac or Bethesda? It just looks like a company that will help provide PS exclusives to the PC?

no one is criticizing the purchase, they are pointing out the hypocrisy.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
1. We don't know if that was Sony Corp or SIE specifically.
2. Of course it's fucking PR. Right now it's because it's Housemarque they'll claim it's 'targeted.' If they suddenly announce an irregular acquisition one day, they'll say "blah blah blah, this is a strategic acquisition to strengthen our portfolio with something we've never done before blah blah blah, even though we have never worked directly before we have a long history in 3rd party blah blah blah" If anything, the Sony CEO has telegraphed imo a strong intention to make a major investment in mobile, which is completely out of SIE's traditional relationship.
3. SIE has made acquisitions like AudioKinect, Gaikai, Evo, etc - which also don't fit to the current PR. And if we want to include investment, stuff like Epic Games stake and Discord are also done without any 'close-game-related-partnership' in the past.

tldr; these execs are just saying what sounds "nice" right now.
Amazing tbh.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020

Where's the hypocrisy? They're a Netherlands company which is where Herman Hulst is from. Wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that he knows them pretty closely, no? Since they port to PC, it makes sense you didn't see much activity from them for Playstation since it's only recently Sony started making their games available to PC.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I will quote a post I made regarding my thoughts on Hermen's quote on this. Don't think it means what most people seem to think it does

(What I'm about to say is not an insider thing, so don't ban me mods.)

Regarding this quote that has made the rounds these last few days, I don't think it's a dig at Xbox, nor do I think it means what you think it means. I saw a lot of people saying stuff like "this means they'll acquire teams like Bluepoint and Housemarque, that they built relationships to"

This is most likely not the case: Sony very carefully set up a few key areas, and growth areas, during their latest FY-end.
Some key areas of growth are:

Mobile games
IP acquisition
Tech

Among others.

Essentially what Hermen means is that they're targeting well-researched developers that they think will help them grow. This doesn't mean they'll only go for developers that they've historically had a lot of partnerships with.

If you look at this acquisition, and the quote from SIE, it essentially confirms that Sony acquired them mainly for a support team.

It could also mean that Sony is interested in their porting expertise. Either for PC Ports of existing games or even PS3 ports to PS5 (unlikely IMO). What could also be said about this acquisition is that it COULD further enhance future deals with Third-Party publishers. We know Square Enix historically has been close to Nixxon.
I think similar to how Capcom used Sony's mocap studios for RE:Village, Nixxon could be used in deals with Third Party Publishers - essentially setting up a support team that can assist third party studios and in turn eventually help out Sony on the exclusive side.

What I think Hermen meant about "random acquisitions" was that they simply research A LOT before making them. I also don't think it's a dig at Xbox. I more so think it's a dig at some other companies (Embracer, Tencent, among others) that doesn't seem to have a clear plan on what or who they're buying, and why. Something Embracer's own investors even say themselves.
I think it's a solid acquisition, and I frankly don't think Sony is done quite yet (Again, non-insider info, but I firmly believe Bluepoint will happen after that blunder by Sony Japan - and I also believe a Mobile "focused" dev is most likely happening at some point this year as well)

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
How is it hypocrisy? How does purchasing a few small studios negates 'organic growth'? Organic growth means that their workforce is growing at a steady pace relative to their prior successes instead of exponentially expanding. More importantly, studios like Housemarque and Bluepoint work almost exclusively for PlayStation already, so comparing them to huge multiplatform publishers/studios (that in some cases were more popular on competitive platforms than their new owners) is absurd.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
They're a Netherlands company which is where Herman Hulst is from. Wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that he knows them pretty closely, no?
It's not out of the realm of possibility many in the industry know each other very close. Many have said already they are like a family. They visit at devs conferences and all that. They eat together at E3, including Sony and Xbox guys eating together.... on that note MS and Sony created the HDR group and work together on a daily basis.

So if Sony, Nintendo, Xbox make a bid today for EA, Ubisoft, IO, Remedy , ... and get them, then your argument applies. Your argument would even apply for Sony buying Xbox or vice versa.

And that's were the hypocrisy comes in, because it's used to defend acquisition A and not acquisition B by some.
i mean if the hypocrisy claim is against the users on era,

that very well might be true. not really following back and forth of people here.

i see nothing contradictory with the quote at title.
I think the user was talking about resetera users yes.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

What's the hypocrisy? I think it's more likely that the gaming public knows dogshit about the relationships between the various entities in the industry or how a company approaches an acquisition. Just because it's an acquisition that the dumbfuck gamers didn't expect doesn't mean it wasn't a targeted one done for very specific reasons.

Just on the surface, Nixxes is a leading DUTCH developer. Hmmm I wonder if Playstation has any connections to the Dutch-development scene that would lead to this. I WONDER IF THEY OWN ANY STUDIOS OR HAVE ANY EXECUTIVES THAT WOULD GIVE THEM SOME SORT OF RELATIONSHIP WITH THE DUTCH DEVELOPMENT SCENE

probs not, definitely just random.

Oct 30, 2017
What hypocrisy?

Sony has had a multi decade approach to how they approach the growth of their internal studios. Bringing aboard a team that is largely going to function as a port team or technical support for 1st and 2nd party projects is hypocritical how exactly?

If Sony deemed that they needed additional talent especially in the PC space, what should they do? Form a decade long partnership and then get into talks about an acquisition?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Sony has had a multi decade approach to how they approach the growth of their internal studios. Bringing aboard a team that is largely going to function as a port team or technical support for 1st and 2nd party projects is hypocritical how exactly?
I think the user was criticizing some resetera users and not Hulst or Sony.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I knew exactly what the tone would be when I saw this got bumped. Some of you a real petty lol Christ. Go play videogames or something instead of letting company executives live rent free in your heads.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
What hypocrisy?

If Sony deemed that they needed additional talent especially in the PC space, what should they do? Form a decade long partnership and then get into talks about an acquisition?

They aren't talking about Sony hypocrisy. They are talking about ResetEra users Hypocrisy. Because apparently that's important.