• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I don't have back problems yet but my posture is absolutely horrendous day to day while working/gaming. Is 1k for this chair saving my back in medical costs in the future? What say you Era?

Heard the reviewer should have read the instructions but felt the thread needed one.

Last edited:

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Wish we could buy it in Europe :( And yes, good chair is worth every penny :)

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I've been using my Aeron chair for a good 10 years now, they're just the best thing out there. I used to have back pain quite frequently in the past, especially after long days of not sitting properly and this thing has helped for sure. The chair you're sitting in all day long isn't something people should save money on - these things are a blessing.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Gaming Chair like Secret Labs o NobleChairs are good or better save money and get Herman Miller ?

Im a dev who spends 10h at day in front of desk using IKEA Chair...and my back is starting to get bad

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I don't have back problems yet but my posture is absolutely horrendous day to day while working/gaming. Is 1k for this chair saving my back in medical costs in the future? What say you Era?

Heard the reviewer should have read the instructions but felt the thread needed one.

I have the regular Embody. Worth every penny, and it should easily last you a decade (comes with a 12-year warranty too). Five years, 16-20 hours sitting every day (with breaks every hour or so) and no back problems at all.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
what is the deal with herman miller becoming such the hot thing/trendy brand. i have no idea but it's just weird watching trends.

but hey, good to be them.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
What makes this a gaming chair?

I guess I'll need to figure out Aeron vs. Embody also.

I have a nice chair but my wife could use this.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using my Aeron chair for a good 10 years now, they're just the best thing out there. I used to have back pain quite frequently in the past, especially after long days of not sitting properly and this thing has helped for sure. The chair you're sitting in all day long isn't something people should save money on - these things are a blessing.

Yeah, I use an Aeron at work and they're the best.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the arm rests would really irritate me. Also don't like how wobbly they are or how in-elegant the access to some of the adjustments are given the price.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i was looking forward to it but it doesn't seem that great. the dude is 5``6 and the chair seems pretty small for him. i think i might just get a regular aeron someday.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since working from home for a few months I've been suffering from back pain and have been looking into the Aeron, very close to buying it based on peoples feedback. Not sure if the Steelcase Gesture is comparable but have heard many coder's speaking highly of that too.

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
Buying a chair worth the price of a used car is one of the best things someone can do for their posture, back, well-being. Pull the trigger

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I would jump on this if it was available in Europe. I desperately need a good new chair. I bought a new chair last week, but I'm sending it back because it's actively hurting my back.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

I got mine a year or two back and it's been one of the best purchases I made. I just picked up a 3rd party headrest via WFH budget from work, would recommend!

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Having a good chair is important, and maybe this is an obvious thing to say, but keep in mind that a good chair doesn't necessarily make every pain and bad posture issue magically go away. There are so many ways you can fuck up your body if you're spending 8-10 hours in front a computer every day (trust me, I've been there). Go see an occupational therapist or perhaps a physical therapist if you're having problems. And of course, try to exercise and stay healthy in general.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone considering a Herman Miller anything, look into the used market. I got my Aeron second hand for just over £200 and it's in perfect condition... these things last years. Just make sure to do your research and pick one up that's not too old.

Oct 28, 2017
Please for the love of god don't buy chairs at full price, buy used. They are amazing but dropping a grand on a chair when you can pay a half or even a third of it by just looking for a used one it doesn't make sense to buy new.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
i was looking forward to it but it doesn't seem that great. the dude is 5``6 and the chair seems pretty small for him. i think i might just get a regular aeron someday.
Yeah, I have the same issue, most chairs are too small for me to reach comfortably :(
For now I am using an ikea chair that has been the only one to reach where I want it.

parski

Nov 13, 2017
+1 on getting a used Aeron. I'm a mesh guy so I obviously prefer it over the Embody but whichever chair you get, get it second hand for sure unless price is no issue for you. It's absolutely worth picking up an ergonomic chair.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People always mention how great these chairs are but never disclose the fact that they're tiny people. I'm 6'3" and we have Aeron Bs and Cs at work. They're useless. No support for my head means I could never really relax and game in it either.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I had this chair briefly but actually sent it back because it was too hard for me. A tad thicker padding would go a long way I feel.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
I just want to remind people not to let a deal or promotion convince them that the thing being promoted will solve their problem. Figure out your pain points/bad habits first! Desks and monitor height will also contribute to ergonomic problems. If you have no way to raise your monitor(s) to head height or you're tall and still cramming yourself into a regular-size desk, splashing out on a bigbux chair may not be the best use of your money.

For me personally, an electric standing desk and a monitor arm is a better buy than any chair. I'm a massive fidgeter and at a regular desk I constantly spend time in weird/stupid positions (kneeling in the chair...) or just plain OUT of the chair, elbows on the desk. I still need to get the monitor arm (hemming and hawing over also getting a new monitor, or multiple monitors...) but COVID-induced WFH finally made me willing to spend the money on the desk very recently and I'm still euphoric. Best investment in my setup I've ever made.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
All the folks mentioning buying HM's used...where are you finding them used? eBay? FB Marketplace?

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
We use HM Aeron's at my work, and goddamn, it's a $1500 CAD chair, but... like I get it.

I wish I could have taken it home with me

matunter

Oct 26, 2017
Chair experts! What's a reasonable/good price (GBP) for a used Herman Miller Aeron, and is it worth looking for the 2016 update or is the original just fine?

ajcacio

Mar 6, 2018
what is the deal with herman miller becoming such the hot thing/trendy brand. i have no idea but it's just weird watching trends.

but hey, good to be them.

Herman Miller has been around for 70ish years and has always been known for really high quality and comfort. Now that people are pretty much forced to work from home there's been a realization what a difference a good office chair can make.

I'm including myself in that statement, I bought my embody chair about 6 months ago and love it

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Herman Miller has been around for 70ish years and has always been known for really high quality and comfort. Now that people are pretty much forced to work from home there's been a realization what a difference a good office chair can make.

I'm including myself in that statement, I bought my embody chair about 6 months ago and love it
Yeah, I have been stuck at home working 8-10h behind my desk (plus some PC gaming occasionally) and my Noblechairs Hero isn't quite cutting it. Been looking around for Herman Miller and Steelcase Refurbished but didn't quite find what I wanted for the right price.

Heck, I'd spend $1K right now but this particular chair doesn't seem to be worth the price vs say properly configured Aeron or maybe regular Embody.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The company I work for are smart enough to know that investing in great office chairs saves them money long term and I have had a Embody since day one. My god that chair is amazing. I then come home to my DX Racer chair I was stupid enough to buy once upon a time and it reminds me every day--DX Racer are absolutely hot garbage chairs and all the streamers who own them do it purely for the image.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
How come? They seem extremely similar to me, is there anything significant that the original Embody has that this doesn't?
I'm wondering the same.
With the options this Logi Embody comes with the msrp is cheaper than a similarly equipped standard Embody.

With 30% off new (now dead) it's an outstanding deal.

Lanofrose

Oct 28, 2017
Is 1k for this chair saving my back in medical costs in the future?
Yes. I wanted to give my 2 cents on the topic because I spent a lot of time asking that same question (I tend to lurk more than post, but here I go.) I had quite bad lower back aches a few years back due to sitting for long hours gaming, working, coursework (I am 27 now) which lead me to look into chairs to help not have my back be completely gone by the time I'm 35.

Trying to be frugal and not spend any money to stay out of student debt I saw ergonomic office chairs, but saw the price tag (close to a grand for a chair was a solid pass for me.) That was till I found out about the used Herman Miller market (others in this thread have been recommending. I would not at all recommend that option.) Seen the Madison Seating on Ebay that others have recommended on this site in similar threads to this one. Decided to bite the bullet and try the Aeron for $500 open box thinking Madison Seating supplies a warranty on it to repair it so I it doesn't seem like that bad a risk to take for my health.

The Herman Miller Aeron chair was phenomenal, and legit completely eliminated all my lower back aches that I didn't think was even possible because I had been dealing with it for so long I believed it was just a chronic pain I would have to some degree for the rest of my life. I do not any lower back pain at all anymore after using that chair (So yeah I am sold on ergonomic chairs.) The issue is that chair broke after a year and a half. I thought ah well thankfully i got this 10 year warranty from Madison Seating (all these Herman Miller resellers "warranty" are the same.) So uh Madison Seating is in like Jersey or something half way across the U.S. They don't pay for return shipping nor do they have local repair shops to take the chair to be fixed (both of which Herman Miller do for their official product warranty.) So Madison seating said sure we will fix it for only $50 as per your warranty, but uh you have to pay to ship it. Shipping was $430 for an item that big and heavy across the U.S lol. So I would be better off just buying yet another used chair and their warranty isn't really usable for most people that don't live right next to the reseller. So I decided well maybe I can take it to a overall furniture repair shop around here, but found out from that store that when they opened the gear box on my chair to see what parts had broken that the resellers Madison Seating had purposely removed the manufacture info inside the gear box under the seat so that you can't tell the manufacture date. Based on the parts my chair it was an over 20 year old used chair that Madison Seating listed as "New – Open box."

So never again would I do the reseller chair thing and was even put off ergo chairs a bit and started using a fairly standard OfficeMax chair on sale. My back issues slowly came back, and from there I decided OK, the chair was legit but the reselling was not. Looked into Herman Miller's official warranty and I realized why they sell the chairs for so much money... I called Herman Miller to verify the warranty they offer based on the info on their site. They have repair stores all through the U.S that you can take the chair to fix free of charge to have repaired for failures, and if there is not one near you they pre-pay a shipping label for you to send it to them. I decided to save and get the standard Embody this time from Herman Miller to have peace of mind that this chair should last me 10 years no extra charge.

Side note the Aeron is a bit cheaper than the embody, but I think I liked it better overall. The Embody is better on my back since I can sit in it for 12 hours and not even feel like I sat down which is great for working on my PC or gaming on my PC, but it doesn't have the same features I had gotten used to on the Aeron. The Aeron has this thing that like you could tilt it into a position then lock it in that position to where it would not come back up setting that tilt as the default position (not to be confused with the tilt lock mechanism that reduces how far back you can go.) I would use that for when I wanted to relax and use my TV for movies or games. That was more relaxing then now always being at 90 degree attention or using my muscles to hold a tilt. The Aeron still felt like a chair so I did need to get up and stretch ever hour (probably should do this with the embody as well you just feel the urge to wayyyy less), but the more features made it do legit everything well even if the Embody does normal work use better over the Aeron.

Get an ergo chair, but I am sure their are options out there that are not a grand that would save your back all the same, and at a certain point it just becomes personal preference of features and slight shape differences. Additionally considered when buying a used (and not being duped into open box new) that you get what you get and there are some great deals for failry new chairs (offices relocating and getting ride of inventory for cheap), but that its a dice roll that can break in 5 years or 5 months. Which means taking that roll again if you keep going with used chairs, but that can work out for some (or even most people just fine.)

Alright back to lurking.