• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone own a Herman Miller chair? I've been eyeing either the Cosm or Embody. Especially the latter because it seems like it'd be good for my back. I have horrendous sitting posture and I think it's starting to cause lower back pain.

Money ain't an issue, since these chairs are supposed to last for a decade+.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Came up on some Herman Miller chairs that were being sold out of a closed down office. Fucking best purchase I've ever made. My lower back pains from sitting are gone. I think it is the "Mirra" model. If money isn't an issue than pull the trigger on one NOW. It's gamechanging.

Also the talk about how they are just office chairs is bananas. I use this chair for gaming. Long sessions too. It's seriously one of my greatest purchases. Oh and I love how amazing Herman Miller's warranty is too. My brother's chair got fucked up or something, they send a repairman to the house and the dude replaces all the parts with brand new components, all free of charge.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Jesus I just looked these up, some of these chairs are the same price as a shitty car or at least a mortgage payment, congrats on people who are able to live that life I guess haha, I suppose it makes sense if you're sitting down that often and have back pain

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have an embody at home and work. At this point, I wouldn't use anything else. It's expensive, but like you said it will last a long time. I think the standard warranty was like 11 or 12 years.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Have an Aeron at work, literally the most comfortable chair I've ever sat on. Can sit for hours without issue

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I used to have an Aeron at work and was originally eyeing an Embody for home, but ended up getting a sweetheart deal on a Steelcase Leap, which I've grown to prefer over the Aeron.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Jesus I just looked these up, some of these chairs are the same price as a shitty car or at least a mortgage payment, congrats on people who are able to live that life I guess haha, I suppose it makes sense if you're sitting down that often and have back pain
The only correct way to buy these is from closed down offices that are selling them. IIRC I got my aero or whatever for like 2 or 300 and it was pretty much like new.

Grip

Oct 26, 2017
We have them at work and they are as good as it gets when it comes to ergonomic office chairs. If money isn't an issue then go for it.

That being said... spending a lot of money on a chair isn't going to magically fix back issues. It can help, but only if you're consciously working on proper posture.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
I have an Embody and it's great. I don't have back pain but I forget I'm sitting in a chair for many hours. However you can achieve a proper posture and eliminate back pain with some effort with a cheaper chair.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Ive actually been looking at lounge chairs. Obviously the GOAT is the Eames but Im actually interested in the Striad. Anyone had a chance to sit in one?

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Used the Aeron at work and it is great.

Been looking at an Aeron or an Ikea Markus for home. Anyone know if there's a good reliable site for second hand Aerons? Or should I just go ebay?

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I bought an Aeron 11 years ago to this day today and I'm looking at it right now as it's travelled with me ever since. No regrets whatsoever. I bought it because I used to live at a desktop PC every day and every other chair sucked. I knew I needed a genuinely good one so my back wouldn't get fucked and I knew they were the best, and they are. These days I use a laptop on a sofa, but it still gets used by guests and for VR where useful.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
As others have said, Aeron was a game-changer for me after years of ~$200 office depot chairs. My back pain disappeared completely and the chair is amazingly durable.

Look for used models on Craigslist if you are in the right area. Just make sure you get the correct size.

It's worth every penny.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been rocking the same Aeron at work for more than a decade and it has been fantastic and I would marry it if I could.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Especially the latter because it seems like it'd be good for my back. I have horrendous sitting posture and I think it's starting to cause lower back pain.
If you have bad posture, you will have bad posture in an expensive chair. A chair can be more comfortable or less uncomfortable, but they don't undo years of bad habits.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Aaron at work then had to give it up to a colleague suffering from back pain. Still sad about it but happy for him being relieved of some pain.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a used Steelcase Leap V2 today. Generally considered the main competitor to Hermann.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I was having back/neck problems and got an Embody for work. Is it worth the cost? Lol, no. Is it the most comfortable chair out of all the ones I tried? Yeah. But these things should be like $600.

Been using an Embody for 8 years now. Still feels brand new and still great.

I do hate how cheap the seat extender handles feel, barely works half the time. Same with the arm rests just clicking in and out without any button or anything and being a bit wobbly. Plus the fabric on the seat is starting to shed on mine (balance fabric). It's minor stuff, but I just sorta don't expect any of these quality issues on such an expensive chair. I know if I call service they can probably tighten up some of this but I'll wait until something more important starts having an issue.

And this is only after like 3 months of use.

Embraze

Oct 27, 2017
I switched to an Embody after 5 years of using a DxRacer and I no longer have any back pain after sitting in it for most of the day so I'd say it's totally worth it.

Oct 31, 2017
I was in your exact situation 4 months ago. Read a ton of good reviews, so I decided to purchase the Embody, tried it out for a month but it's lumbar support wasnt enough for me, so I returned it and bought a Cosm instead. I quite enjoy it, but I regret getting the leaf arms, they bump the table when I want to roll in very close.

If theres a showroom near you, definitely go try it out, thats the only way to know which one is best for you.

Edit: Oh, and a 2nd reason I didn't like the Embody was that the fabric isn't that breathable compared to a mesh like on the Cosm (or Aeron).

Last edited:

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I do hate how cheap the seat extender handles feel, barely works half the time. Same with the arm rests just clicking in and out without any button or anything and being a bit wobbly. Plus the fabric on the seat is starting to shed on mine (balance fabric). It's minor stuff, but I just sorta don't expect any of these quality issues on such an expensive chair. I know if I call service they can probably tighten up some of this but I'll wait until something more important starts having an issue.

And this is only after like 3 months of use.

The seat extender I don't use much so cannot comment but you should absolutely try to get a replacement for the other two. I have put thousands of hours into this chair and 0 issues with the balance fabric. Yeah, the handrests are clicky though. If your ideal height is between two clicks it can be a not ideal situation.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought a used Aeron ($450 CAD) for home use over a year ago and absolutely love it. It's been a really good investment so far.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
herman-miller-aeron-chair-remastered.jpg

Someday I will have one of these chairs. Best chair I've ever sat down in, hands down.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, we had Aerons at work. They were great. Then corporate moved us into a newly built office and said we had to donate all the Aerons because it didn't fit the new decor/look of the office. They wouldn't let employees take the chairs home. So naturally whenever corporate wants feedback each year, chairs are one of the biggest complaints.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I bought an Aeron chair second hand and it's the best purchase I ever made. I really would have liked an Embody instead but it's a lot harder to find those on the used market. Aeron's though, you can find a ton of them in great condition on craigslist for $300-$400, making them unbeatable in value.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have sat on an Aeron for years at work. I got myself a used Steelcase Leap for home. I like both roughly the same.

Oct 25, 2017
One of my coworkers has one that he took from his last job. It's incredible. I would not have believed a chair could be worth that much money before sitting in it.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you know the proper size to get?

Is there a reliable way to check that I'm not being sold a knockoff or counterfeit?

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was eyeing an Herman Miller chair recently to help with my back. The chair I bought last year kills it. Saw there's some Aerons available on Craigslist for $350 that I might bite on, seems like a great deal.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Came up on some Herman Miller chairs that were being sold out of a closed down office. Fucking best purchase I've ever made. My lower back pains from sitting are gone. I think it is the "Mirra" model. If money isn't an issue than pull the trigger on one NOW. It's gamechanging.

Also the talk about how they are just office chairs is bananas. I use this chair for gaming. Long sessions too. It's seriously one of my greatest purchases. Oh and I love how amazing Herman Miller's warranty is too. My brother's chair got fucked up or something, they send a repairman to the house and the dude replaces all the parts with brand new components, all free of charge.
Will they fix the chair if you bought it second hand?

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
The Aeron was too expensive for me, so I got an Ergohuman instead

It's been a lifesaver. Only cost R8500, which is like $500 American

If you've only ever used shitty office chairs, a proper one that supports your neck and back will be an absolute game changer

BubbaMc

Oct 30, 2017
Also consider a Kab Controller. There's a reason they're found in pretty much every industrial control room across the globe.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020

Had the Mirra at my last job, best damn chair I've ever used.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I've got an Embody. Bought it 5 years ago and it's hands down the best purchase I've ever made in my entire life.

I'm an author and I spend 16-18 hours a day sitting on that chair. Haven't experienced any back pain since I switched.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I just bought a used Aeron yesterday and it's great. Couple of scratches and obvious fading on the mesh but all in all great condition. Buying new cost like 3 times here in Singapore.

I'm thinking of painting the parts where there are scratches, anyone tried it on theirs?

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
herman-miller-aeron-chair-remastered.jpg

Someday I will have one of these chairs. Best chair I've ever sat down in, hands down.
I have one of these at work. They're pretty good, I guess?

Not sure they're worth thousands or whatever the MSRP is though. I'd look om craigslist to try and get a used one. If you're in a metropolitan area with a decent amount of tech companies/startups, chances are there might be a whole bunch being sold on the second hand market for a fraction of the price.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
About a year ago, I bought a broken 2007-model Aeron off ebay that was being sold out of a closed (or remodeling? I'm not sure) law firm. It was dirty and I'm pretty sure there was a diarrhea stain on it.

After a complete disassembly, a THOROUGH cleaning, scrubbing, and sanitizing of absolutely every part, and careful reassembly, it's a great chair.
My last chair used to hurt my butt after hours of sitting. The Aeron contours to your shape so it feels like you're floating.
The only issue I have with the Aeron is the hard front lip which can kinda cut off circulation to the bottom of your thighs after a couple hours but the cushion in my seat is pretty tired so it probably just needs to be replaced.

Also the armrests have this weird proprietary slider system that prevents them from being serviced by anyone that isn't Herman-Miller without special tools which is incredibly annoying.
The armrests are the only part of my chair that I wasn't able to properly disassemble and service but otherwise I have no complaints.

Worth the buy, but definitely go used if you're good enough with tools to fix it yourself.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
We use Aerons in the office. They are fantastic. IIRC we use Embody in the conference rooms.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I have Aeron at home, best office chair I have ever sat on. There is no going back.

Chair at work in comparison is like sitting on some bricks.