• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
Good day everyone!

My car broke some time ago (RIP crankshaft) and I don't think I can fix it on time this weekend as we are goin to travel. My brother in law agreed to lend me his car (A Mexican Chevy Optra), but can't go to his house until the weekend. I have always used stick since I learned to drive on my grandpa's Sakura.

In short:

What does the D does? Why is there a 1 on the stick? When does the 2 come to use? Do I have to put it on P every time I brake on a stoplight? How do I "shift" speeds? And other questions that I may have but can't remember.

I could ask a friend to experience beforehand a car and how to drive it but I haven't come with one that owns an AT.

The only thing I know well is that you can't really rev down the engine by shifting down as in a MT car. Sorry for the dumb questions, I really don't know how to drive an AT an I feel dumb for that.

Thank you in advance!

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
D is drive, R is reverse, N is neutral.

you just stay in D all the time, you brake by using the brake. you never need to shift.
you only put it in P when you wanna stop the car for good.

also, move your left foot all the way away from the pedals so your muscle memory doesn't try reaching for the clutch and you hit the brakes.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
D is drive. stick it in drive to go forward. ignore 1 and 2

Just keep your right foot on the accelator until you need to brake. And don't use your left foot for anything

Deleted member 57378

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
D is your main drive selection that will automatically shift for you.
the 1 and 2 are options to stay in those gears if you are hauling something.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
D is drive. You'll keep your car in this whenever it's in motion. P is for when you park. Like... actually park. 1 and 2 are used in very rare scenarios, but if you feel like you should be using 1/2 or L (low gear) you probably shouldn't be out driving.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
stay in D, all the time. even at a stoplight

you'll never need the 1, 2 (low gears). if you needed them, you'll learn about them when the time comes

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
D is for drive. Use that to drive.

You shift gears by putting pressure on the gas pedal or brake pedal.

Ignore the 1 and 2.

Shift the car into R when you want to reverse.

P is for park. It's good for parking the car.

The general flow is you start with the car in P. Shift it into D to start driving and keep it there until either you need to get out of the car (put it in P first) or you need to reverse (put it in R first). Otherwise keep it on D, even at red lights or stop signs.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Someone driving stick shift being completely lost on an automatic transmission just boggles my mind. Stay safe on the road.

Oct 26, 2017
D is for drive. Use that to drive.

You shift gears by putting pressure on the gas pedal or brake pedal.

Ignore the 1 and 2.

Shift the car into R when you want to reverse.

P is for park. It's good for parking the car.

The general flow is you start with the car in P. Shift it into D to start driving and keep it there until either you need to get out of the car (put it in P first) or you need to reverse (put it in R first). Otherwise keep it on D, even at red lights or stop signs.

It's easy to remember, D for "Don't forget, you're not in Park", P for "Put it here when you're not in D or R", and R for "Remember, this isn't D or P."

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have good replies here OP.

But this is definitely a once in a lifetime thread. It's always the other way around (how do I drive manual)

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Someone driving stick shift being completely lost on an automatic transmission just boggles my mind. Stay safe on the road.

Why does it boggle your mind? I've never driven automatic so I would question too at first. :) Never automatic those past 11 years.

Edit: OP ignore those geniuses that know everything. By knowing how to drive stick you know the more difficult part already.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Herlp is making me laugh harder than it should.

You'll get used to it OP. I've driven manual all my life and the first time I drove auto it took a little adjusting (particularly having to force my left foot not to try and dip the clutch) but it won't take you long.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Saw this girl entering a mall parking lot and I'm pretty sure she placed her car in P to take the entrance ticket.

Once she had the ticket and was good to go, she accelerated but the car wouldn't move. It was just revving.

I guess she must have panicked (cause there were cars behind her) cause when she remembered she had to move the stick down to D, she only shifted down once to R and reversed right into the car behind.

So, be mindful that it's two down to D from P and tap the accelerator slightly to be able to correct yourself just in case you're in the wrong gear.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Why does it boggle your mind? I've never driven automatic so I would question too at first. :) Never automatic those past 11 years.

Edit: OP ignore those geniuses that know everything. By knowing how to drive stick you know the more difficult part already.

Having a driver's license should mean you know basic stuff like this.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Having a driver's license should mean you know basic stuff like this.

I have a German drivers license and never had to learn or learned that through driving school so...no you don't need to know stuff like this. He will also manage easily now because he alreadys knows stick driving which is way more difficult (and way more fun...).

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I have driven an AT once. Just remember to move your left foot out of the way using only your right and you will be fine.

Oh and...

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Only use P to Park

The car automatically idles in D when you stop at a light or sign, only use D to drive around.

R to reverse...obviously.

Go from R to D to keep driving after backing out of something (come to a complete stop first).

If you're backing into a space with R, go straight to P once stopped (with foot on brake) if you're parking.

Typically you have to hold the brake to go from P to D or P to R or D to R or D to P.

I'm use to driving everything, but my new Explorer does have a mode I've never had in a car. Selective, active shifting (even though it's an automatic). I can put it in selective and use the + - on the shifter to manually shift (like a paddle shifter). Pretty cool.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Put the car in D when you are ready to drive. your entire drive will be in D. All you have to worry about is the gas pedal and brake pedal. that is all. When done, put the car in P. If you need to reverse put it in R.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
yeah this kind of blows my mind, somebody having no familiarity with automatic transmission. must be a (highly sheltered) european

Ive been driving for years and never got near an automatic car. Ive never known anyone who has owned one neither.

They are actually quite rare in the UK, almost everyone learns to drive a manual gear car (as you cannot drive a manual with just an auto licence).

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Ive been driving for years and never got near an automatic car. Ive never known anyone who has owned one neither.

They are actually quite rare in the UK, almost everyone learns to drive a manual gear car (as you cannot drive a manual with just an auto licence).
Yep, I passed in a manual but drive autos due to a bad knee and a like of German saloons.

Best tip is tuck your left leg out of the way to avoid using it

OP
OP
Pororoka

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
Thank you all for the kind answers. And yeah, I recon that I was overthinking this one due to not being my car and this being an alien experience to me. Sorry if my question came as dumb as it is, I have never put attention to this until now.

And I didn't really thought of the muscle memory for the clutch, I'll take that into account!

Why was this your first place to get answers?
Because I like the community here and I really like the answers I get with every member more than on a search engine. I feel it more like a discussion and less than consulting a book.

Also I'm all in for the occasional snarky commentary.
yeah this kind of blows my mind, somebody having no familiarity with automatic transmission. must be a (highly sheltered) european
Or a Mexican that grew up in the country side. :P

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The 1 and 2 represent lower gears. Even though you aren't shifting you can set it to a lower gear for hauling stuff, steep inclines, etc.

Just lay attention to Park, Neutral, Reverse, and Drive. Forget the clutch exists.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx

Like how is that working in this modern age, even major sports car manufactorers are dropping pure manual cars for dual clutch automatic systems. Manual transmissions wont exist at all in a few years. Is everyone in the UK just going to switch to paddle shifters/dual clutch systems? is Hybrid/EV tech adoption also slow in the UK with eCVT's dominating that area?

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
You only drive them with one foot.

Did a whole bunch of impromptu emergency stops when I was driving in the US thinking the break was the clutch, haha. You'll get used to it after a few miles.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Ever drive a bumper car. An automatic is basically as easy as that. As someone pointed out, make sure you don't use your left foot at all, beyond that stick it in D to go forward, R to go backwards, P when you want to park. Forget neutral, 1 and 2. You will roll forward slowly when in drive, which is a godsend in traffic.

Oct 25, 2017
MĆ©xico
Everyone should learn both automatic/manual before getting a driving license. It should be required.

I judge people who can't drive a manual car.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
All the advice about ignoring 1 or 2 is fine, I guess...unless you are driving mountain roads. Then you'd be kinda fucked, potentially.

OP
OP
Pororoka

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
What I learned here is that I must not touch 1,2 and L (unless overtaking a minivan) nail my left feet to the door basically and give up my driver license, got it!

tenor.gif

Herlp is making me laugh harder than it should.
Oh crap. I didn't saw that, at least it made you laugh!

Thank you too for your tip. I'll really take that into account!

Thank you for this, I'm laughing more than I should! šŸ¤£

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
You only drive them with one foot.

Did a whole bunch of impromptu emergency stops when I was driving in the US thinking the break was the clutch, haha. You'll get used to it after a few miles.
This is the most difficult thing transitioning to an automatic. Every once in a while, your left foot will just reflexively go for the clutch and the brake pedal is super wide and then you're screeching to a halt.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
This is the most difficult thing transitioning to an automatic. Every once in a while, your left foot will just reflexively go for the clutch and the brake pedal is super wide and then you're screeching to a halt.

Thankfully this has never happened to me. If I take my Mustang out of the garage and drive it a lot, I tend to reach for the clutch in our other 2 automatics for a few days afterward.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
every so poften there is an article in the local press of cars that have ended up reversing through walls or ending up in the sea by driving off a quay.

Most of the time, its down to someone not used to an automatic car slamming in into R

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
What helped me a lot:

1. Keep the left foot firmly planted on the footrest.
2. NO, the car won't stall when stopping at traffic lights.
3. Keep the left foot firmly planted on the footrest.

Oct 27, 2017
You're definitely, definitely going to slam on the brakes a few times because muscle memory will make you go for the clutch, but you'll get over it pretty quickly.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
1 and 2 are for when going down steep hills. You'll automatically drive slower, and won't need to break every 5 seconds to slow your speed down.

Otherwise, just use D to drive. You don't need to shift into 1 or 2 to get to drive when going from Park.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this girl entering a mall parking lot and I'm pretty sure she placed her car in P to take the entrance ticket.

Once she had the ticket and was good to go, she accelerated but the car wouldn't move. It was just revving.

I guess she must have panicked (cause there were cars behind her) cause when she remembered she had to move the stick down to D, she only shifted down once to R and reversed right into the car behind.

So, be mindful that it's two down to D from P and tap the accelerator slightly to be able to correct yourself just in case you're in the wrong gear.

well depends on the car. Mine is sprung self centering - pull Down for drive, push up for reverse (so really difficult to accidentally choose reverse) and push a button for Park. My wife's is the more classic like you describe wher eyou click through reverse to get to drive.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
Shift into D Mode. VROOOM! Fuck it sucks.
I've never had a powerful enough car to be worth driving automatic.

Last edited: