• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 23, 2017
Thanks to everyone who participated in the hidden gem thread, there were some really cool games in there that I've never seen before.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/wi...ose-here-are-some-hidden-gems-of-mine.355018/

You see I'm always on the hunt for hidden gems, games that get lost in the crowd and fade away into obscurity.

In fact, the hidden gems thread inspired me to make this thread.

On my searches I usually run into games that have not been released yet, that not only look visually pleasing, but might feature some interesting mechanics as well.

While some of these games were supposed to release in 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a lot of games got pushed back to 2021 or beyond.

Whether these games are any good still remains to be seen but at the very least we can put these games on the wish list to keep an eye on them.

Here is a list of games that I found during my search, let's start with the two most obvious ones first.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
store.steampowered.com

Eastward on Steam

Welcome to the charming world of Eastward - population declining! Journey through a society on the brink of collapse. Discover delightful towns, strange creatures and even stranger people! Wield a trusty frying pan and mystic powers on an adventure into the unknown…
Keep an eye on this publisher, Chucklefish, and their developers. Also the developers for the games they publish. They've been publishing some really visually pleasing games as of late and they are known for publishing Wargroove and Timespinner.

Also, keep a close eye on Witchbrook! https://www.witchbrook.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
store.steampowered.com

Sable on Steam

Embark on an unique and unforgettable journey and guide Sable through her Gliding; a rite of passage that will take her across vast deserts and mesmerizing landscapes, capped by the remains of spaceships and ancient wonders.
I think a lot of people know about this one, very visually pleasing.

store.steampowered.com

ANNO: Mutationem on Steam

ANNO: Mutationem is an action-adventure game with RPG elements set in a cyberpunk world, featuring a unique mix of pixelated 2D & 3D graphic style with a rich, dark and bizarre plot.
This game caught the eyes of several people including myself, beautiful pixel art in a 3D cyberpunk world.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/anno-mutationem-limited-time-pc-demo-now-available.341347/

store.steampowered.com

Gestalt: Steam & Cinder on Steam

Inspired by 16 and 32-bit classics, Gestalt: Steam & Cinder fuses tight 2D platforming and exhilarating combat with an engrossing, twist-laden narrative in a stunningly handcrafted steampunk world.
Another beautiful looking pixel art game in a steampunk world, great character art as well.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/gestalt-steam-cinder.174439/

store.steampowered.com

Foregone on Steam

Foregone is a fast and fluid 2D action-platformer packed with legendary loot and stunning pixel art. Collect an arsenal of powerful weapons and unravel a compelling story of regret and conspiracy as you slice your way through hordes of enemies to save Calagan.
An interesting looking side scroll with good animations.

store.steampowered.com

Outrider Mako on Steam

Take on the role of Mako on her quest to seek out and subsequently deliver her, uh, deliverables in this top-down view 2D action game. Jump on top of your enemies and slime them with goo to stop them in their tracks! Get those deliverables delivered!
An adorable looking action adventure game with good pixel graphics.

store.steampowered.com

UNSIGHTED on Steam

EXPLORE YOUR WAY. Awoken to a world ruined by war, Alma must traverse the vast city of Arcadia before the life force of her friends and herself withers away. Time is ticking, and every moment matters. Who will you save, and who will you leave to turn UNSIGHTED?
This one looked great to me, they even updated the steam store picture.

store.steampowered.com

Heart Forth, Alicia on Steam

A terror in the sky is bent on exterminating a young wizard and her loved ones. Featuring a riveting and sinister story, set out to explore a vast world in this modern Metroidvania RPG, filled with devious monsters, lethal dungeons, creative puzzles, lively towns & many uncharted wonders.
Absolutely beautiful pixel graphics and a metroidvania? It's a win-win situation.

store.steampowered.com

Lamp Chronicle on Steam

Lamp Chronicle is a 2D platformer game that tells the story of a little hero who travels to save a kingdom in crisis. Defeat enemies against beautiful backgrounds and enjoy exciting battles with bosses.
Another beautiful looking metroidvania, the art style reminds me of an old-school story book.

store.steampowered.com

ENDER LILIES: Quietus of the Knights on Steam

ENDER LILIES is a dark fantasy 2D action RPG about unraveling the mysteries of a destroyed kingdom. On this sorrowful journey, encounter horrific enemies against whom a moment of inattention could be fatal. Overcome these hardships and seek the truth with the help of fallen knights.
A Souls-like with a nice art style and interesting mechanics. The little girl summoning what looks like guardians to protect her from monsters and demons caught my eye.

store.steampowered.com

Save 60% on Wigmund on Steam

Defeat the evil Antiochus as you fight his malefic servants in this open-world fantasy action RPG with a unique, real-time combat game-play. Crafting, fishing, hunting, cooking, talents, professions and many other things are at hand.
An action adventure game with an isometric view, the pleasing graphics caught my eye and I like Knights.

store.steampowered.com

Shadow of the Road on Steam

Assemble a team of unlikely heroes in this thrilling turn-based RPG set in the blood-tinged dusk of feudal Japan. Test your skills against magical yokai and deadly steampunk technology as you carve your own path through an immersive story that will change the fate of the Empire.
Now here is an interesting one! Samurai's? Giant robots? Turn-based? This looks very interesting indeed!

store.steampowered.com

Iron Vulture on Steam

Iron Vulture is a real-time strategy line defender. You can command six soldiers in real-time combat, move them across lanes, and use their abilities to eliminate wave after wave of mutated creatures.
Tower defense games is a genre I don't really play, but the well animated characters and artstyle had me thinking otherwise.

store.steampowered.com

Steel Assault on Steam

Punch, whip, and zipline your way through a post-apocalyptic America in this 16-bit retro-style action platformer! Play as Taro Takahashi, a resistance soldier on a revenge mission against the dictator who lords over the ashes.
A really nice looking side scrolling platformer.

store.steampowered.com

Tribes of Midgard on Steam

A vibrant blend of survival and action RPG for 1-10 players! Craft legendary items, grow your home base and embark on an epic journey through procedural realms to face towering creatures hel-bent on unleashing Ragnarök. Valhalla can wait, Einherjar!
This looks really nice, and something I'd enjoy with a friend. 10 player co-op?!

store.steampowered.com

Sands of Aura on Steam

Sands of Aura is an open-world action adventure with a fantasy setting of a realm in its twilight--a world buried beneath a sea of sand. Sail across the sandseas to return life to a dying world in an unforgettable experience that is equal parts engaging story and unrelenting, souls-like combat.
I came across this game today, it looks visually pleasing and I love the way it looks.

store.steampowered.com

Spark in the Dark on Steam

The hardcore dark fantasy Dungeon Crawler where you will go to the endless depths of a mysterious grim Dungeon.
This game reminded me of Exanima, perhaps without the physics but it looked interesting enough for me.

This next game is not on steam yet, but this game caught my eye with its awesome visuals.

store.steampowered.com

SIGNALIS on Steam

A classic survival horror experience set in a dystopian future where humanity has uncovered a dark secret. Unravel a cosmic mystery, escape terrifying creatures, and scavenge an off-world government facility as Elster, a technician Replika searching for her lost dreams.
Apologies! I completely forgot about this one! This one looks rather fantastic!

store.steampowered.com

Radio the Universe on Steam

Awakened from dreams of sunlight, a wanderer descends into the ruins.
More beautiful pixel graphics, can't get enough of them!

Last edited:

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Nice list OP. I have to wonder if the Last Night is vaporware at this point. It got announced so long ago and we have seen basically nothing since.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Can't say it's a good look putting Last Night on the list given the history, but I'm excited about lots of others like Anno and Eastward

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
An upcoming game from the creator of the Submachine flash games. One of my favourite point and click games when I was a teen.

store.steampowered.com

Slice of Sea on Steam

Slice of Sea is a peaceful adventure and puzzle game. You play as Seaweed, a sea creature clearly out of their element. Explore desolate world of dust, all hand-drawn on paper in unique art style. Collect items, solve puzzles and lead Seaweed back home to the sea.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
OP this game might be of interest as well

store.steampowered.com

Among Trees on Steam

Escape to an enchanting, living sandbox surrounded by wildlife and nature. Scavenge materials and craft tools to turn your small cabin into a warm, well-supplied home. Survive by fishing, cooking and growing your own food. Be careful though, the forest is as dangerous as it is wonderful.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
An upcoming game from the creator of the Submachine flash games. One of my favourite point and click games when I was a teen.

store.steampowered.com

Slice of Sea on Steam

Slice of Sea is a peaceful adventure and puzzle game. You play as Seaweed, a sea creature clearly out of their element. Explore desolate world of dust, all hand-drawn on paper in unique art style. Collect items, solve puzzles and lead Seaweed back home to the sea.
OP this game might be of interest as well

store.steampowered.com

Among Trees on Steam

Escape to an enchanting, living sandbox surrounded by wildlife and nature. Scavenge materials and craft tools to turn your small cabin into a warm, well-supplied home. Survive by fishing, cooking and growing your own food. Be careful though, the forest is as dangerous as it is wonderful.

Hm Hm! Thank you! I will wish list these!

Slice of Sea is giving me some slight GRIS vibes with that background art style.

Among Trees looks very stylish for a survival game. Very interesting!

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
I want a new 4X game, I would like to play Stellaris more or start a new Civ 6 game. Is there anything other than Humankind in the not-so-distant future? Thanks!

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if this'll be many peoples type of game but I think The Tenants seems really interesting.
store.steampowered.com

The Tenants on Steam

Become a landlord and deal with problematic tenants as you build your rental property empire. Decide how to react to annoyed neighbors or police interventions. Will you design your apartment for a group of gamer friends or an aspiring musician looking for a new home?
As a fan of sim and strategy games it seems right up my alley.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two I'm watching; one for 2021, one date unknown. I think a lot of people are eager for Paralives (which is essentially The Sims minus EA), or will be when they find out about it.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
I'll add a few I don't see mentioned too much:

Thank you for these, UFO 50 being a collection of different genres has caught my eye.

Monomyth taking inspiration from King's Field goes quickly to my wish list already! I've been playing Eternal Ring on PCSX2 recently.

Nour straight up looks like something I'd see in a Japanese commercial.

Shady Knight also looks really cool, I liked the part where he kicked up the sword and kicked it away towards an enemy.

Wish listed all of them!

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Thief with guns and a bit of Bloodborne. The demo (very outdated build by now) was one of those rare ones that hurt when it ended because I really wanted to keep playing.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'll add a few I don't see mentioned too much:

I've been waiting for UFO 50 since the GAF days. Back then it had a 2018 release date!

Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Eastward looks so charming, totally a Mother 3 vibe going on

There's a game called Beard Blade that looks really cool but it's not on Steam for now it seems.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I want a new 4X game, I would like to play Stellaris more or start a new Civ 6 game. Is there anything other than Humankind in the not-so-distant future? Thanks!

Seems rather ambitious, so I have my eyes on it.

store.steampowered.com

BOC: Birth of Cultures on Steam

BoC is a historical 4X strategy game. Play on diverse planets with climate simulation and non-linear progression over the last 60,000 years of human evolution. Develop your own ancient civilization starting as a nomadic tribe from the last Ice Age.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Seems rather ambitious, so I have my eyes on it.

store.steampowered.com

BOC: Birth of Cultures on Steam

BoC is a historical 4X strategy game. Play on diverse planets with climate simulation and non-linear progression over the last 60,000 years of human evolution. Develop your own ancient civilization starting as a nomadic tribe from the last Ice Age.
It looks more like a tech demo than a game, am I right?

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Two I'm watching; one for 2021, one date unknown. I think a lot of people are eager for Paralives (which is essentially The Sims minus EA), or will be when they find out about it.

Oh Alaloth! I think I ran into this game when I made my Diablo thread, I was looking around for some clones. I will keep an eye on it.

That's a nice looking list you got there! ;)

I'll go and add these games to my wish list. Thank you for bringing up these games, OP.

You're welcome! I like doing these kinds of threads to save people time, sometimes I'm searching around for hours and I lose track of time.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to a lot of these but in particular Outrider Mako after playing the demo from one of the Steam Dev Days.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a few of those have been catching my eye since we've first seen them. Love me some good pixel art especially. Looking forward to them

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Aw crap, I forgot an important one to put on the list! I put it at the end! Be sure to check it out.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to Heart Forth, Alicia. Backed it on Kickstarter and played the demos, it was a blast. Feels great for speedrunning too.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I like the look of Black Book

Dual Gear for the Front Mission fix (early access)

Last edited:

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I am interested in Subverse. Many regard It as a bastion of I dont know what but I'd like to see a non-Japanese developer try something for once. Such games are also an important part of computer game history.

store.steampowered.com

Site Error

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I'll have to check some of these out. The only one I've got on my wishlist that isn't out yet is Tunic, though I'm certain that's not so much a hidden gem.

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
Another programming game, this time with a focus on regex (not sure which variant though). I'm intrigued by the mention of a "wacky and demanding publisher", because I wouldn't mind a bit of humour even if just flavour text in such normally dry games.

The demo was nice. Looks like a nice, short, relaxing game.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Here's 3 RPGs that are coming out of early access in the first half of 2021. All very positive reviews.

Wait, the Atom guys made another Atom game? I wasn't aware of this.

Isn't Cybershaow coming in a few weeks? I'm really looking forward to that and Bushinden.

I don't know if Cybershadow is for me but I recall some people being really excited for it.

Bushiden looks pretty cool, it has come a long way. I remember seeing this a few years ago.