• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
As a fan of indies, it's a nice list, just as I'm looking forward to the likes of Stray and Maquette on PS5. Both have a great lineup of indie exclusives. And it's even more exciting when you consider most of this list will be day one on Game Pass. But obviously at this stage Xbox is lacking in big AAA exclusives for 2021, but most likely that's simply because they haven't been announced yet. At the very least I'd expect FH5 and maybe Wolf 3.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
If Ratchet, Horizon, Gran Turismo, and Returnal all make 2021 (Returnal is basically a certainty) then yes... Not counting any timed exclusive stuff like Deathloop or Ghostwire.

I think if Xbox gets Halo, FH5, Starfield and Wolfestein 3 it evens out in 2021. First half dry tho

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I think for most launch years, and especially one in a pandemic, this list would be fine. But given how agressive Sony's first party output is in 2021, and the likelihood of at least ONE of Nintendo's flagship IPs getting a release this year, this is a comparatively thin lineup.

Also, that Yakuza Collection thing seems disingenous at best, misleading at worst. I can go to Best Buy right now and buy a PS4 version of the Collection.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft continues to have the weakest lineup. But I'm really vibing with a lot of the indies here.

Oct 27, 2017
It's also worth noting, that most if not all of these games will come to gamepass. That can literally never be overlooked. That value literally can't be matched by any other platform holder.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think for most launch years, and especially one in a pandemic, this list would be fine. But given how agressive Sony's first party output is in 2021, and the likelihood of at least ONE of Nintendo's flagship IPs getting a release this year, this is a comparatively thin lineup.
So Nintendo can skate by for the "likelihood of ONE release" but Xbox's year is comparatively thin with games like Halo, Psychonauts, Flight Sim, etc with potentially great indies like Tunic, Sable, etc?
To me, this list is pretty clearly just a stop-gap article until a few more things are revealed to be 2021. Sure, the real coming-out party is 2022-2023 for Xbox -- it always has been -- but this year will be fine. A lot of those indies look pretty great, and I'm sure Halo will have a good chance of delivering. Plus, again, some stuff they haven't revealed or that will come from Bethesda.

Honestly, in looking at the PS5, is it really that much better for 2021? They'll have indies and a couple of big exclusives. Feels pretty similar to me.
Yeah, people thinking there's a vast difference in quality and releases for exclusive content between Xbox and PlayStation are fooling themselves.

All platforms have great content to play with exciting games to look forward to.

Dec 31, 2017
Do people really think that in an article released 2 weeks after the start of the year MS has already announced all of their big releases for the year? Lol

Sony has already blown its load, definitely more coming out from MS this year that we have yet to hear about.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine, though I wonder how much of MS' first party output is going to make it to 2021 or if most of it is going to slip further down the line due to COVID.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
Edit: Little Witch in the Woods was a good get:

Funnily enough, I got in touch with the developer back when we first covered it in November 2019 to confirm the platforms. At the time I was told, "Steam is sure, I'm trying to release it on Nintendo Switch and PS4."

cute game. so MS actually locked this game up for their consoles/PC?

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do people really think that in an article released 2 weeks after the start of the year MS has already announced all of their big releases for the year? Lol

Sony has already blown its load, definitely more coming out from MS this year that we have yet to hear about.
People are just concern trolling like in every single xbox thread.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
So Nintendo can skate by for the "likelihood of ONE release" but Xbox's year is comparatively thin with games like Halo, Psychonauts, Flight Sim, etc with potentially great indies like Tunic, Sable, etc?

Yeah, people thinking there's a vast difference in quality and releases for exclusive content between Xbox and PlayStation are fooling themselves.

All platforms have great content to play with exciting games to look forward to.

I said at least one of their flagship, which for me is Pokemon, Mario, Zelda (I'm not inluding Bowser's Fury here). There's likely plenty of stuff in the works from their B tier (sales-wise) franchises (Metroid, Kirby, Donky Kong, Pikmin, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, etc). My argument isn't that MS isn't bringing good games to their console, it's just that of the three manufacturers, their 2021 looks like it's got the most work to do. We know Nintendo have big cards in their hand because of how lame 2020 was and the announcement of games a year or two ago that are likely to come out this year (SMTV, BOTW2, etc).

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Probably on a few I will end up downloading. The main one I am looking forward to is The Ascent. Other than that Psychonauts 2 and maybe Halo Infinite. Hoping Fable or some such hits this year. MS need some big games.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking great. Sucks I am been down lately and not in a mood to game. But I had been playing consistently for MONTHS.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I honestly laughed when I read The Yakuza Remastered Collection in that list.

Little Witch in the Woods looks really good. Hope the timed exclusivity isn't too long for this one.

Tunic finally coming out is also good news. Was that known? I haven't heard about a release in 2021 until now.

I expect Microsoft to have at least one more big game alongside Halo. Probably Forza Motorsport.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly laughed when I read The Yakuza Remastered Collection in that list.

Little Witch in the Woods looks really good. Hope the timed exclusivity isn't too long for this one.

Tunic finally coming out is also good news. Was that known? I haven't heard about a release in 2021 until now.

I expect Microsoft to have at least one more big game alongside Halo. Probably Forza Motorsport.
Halo Infinite, Flight Simulator, and Forza are likely the big games coming from XGS this year that are exclusive to Xbox. Anything else would be a surprise.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Interested in the Ascent, The gunk, Tunic, Flight Sim and Halo and crossfireX.

I think Halo being pushed back for a year had me think that the lineup was going to be fairly thin, they did kind of have a whole year last year to showcase upcoming games and they were announcing games that seemed far out so doesn't really make much sense to me why they would hold on it and we're not to sure when the next big event will be. I would like them to be more as I'm subbed for GPU so more games the better but I think I'm keeping expectations in check. Maybe there will be surprises making it all the better. In the meantime, been cycling through so many games in GP and wonder what games going to be released in the meantime as well. Going in on more Bethesda and EA content so finalization of Bethesda hopefully the rest of the games will be on GP.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interested in the Ascent, The gunk, Tunic, Flight Sim and Halo and crossfireX.

I think Halo being pushed back for a year had me think that the lineup was going to be fairly thin, they did kind of have a whole year last year to showcase upcoming games and they were announcing games that seemed far out so doesn't really make much sense to me why they would hold on it and we're not to sure when the next big event will be. I would like them to be more as I'm subbed for GPU so more games the better but I think I'm keeping expectations in check. Maybe there will be surprises making it all the better. In the meantime, been cycling through so many games in GP and wonder what games going to be released in the meantime as well. Going in on more Bethesda and EA content so finalization of Bethesda hopefully the rest of the games will be on GP.
I also think Halo being pushed back for a year and releasing this fall gives some of the studios some breathing room and not have to rush any of their big projects in order to release by the end of the year.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Halo, Flight Simulator, Tunic and The Ascent is a great lineup for me, on top of the third party releases. Considering there's a couple of Switch and PS5 exclusives I want too I'm not really sure where people get the time to play more than that.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Dang I know only like 5 of those games, and 4 of them are ehh scale sized releases for their lineup. That's really bad

And they padded it out with multiplats and ports? Oh baby Microsoft what you doing lol

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I said at least one of their flagship, which for me is Pokemon, Mario, Zelda (I'm not inluding Bowser's Fury here). There's likely plenty of stuff in the works from their B tier (sales-wise) franchises (Metroid, Kirby, Donky Kong, Pikmin, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, etc). My argument isn't that MS isn't bringing good games to their console, it's just that of the three manufacturers, their 2021 looks like it's got the most work to do. We know Nintendo have big cards in their hand because of how lame 2020 was and the announcement of games a year or two ago that are likely to come out this year (SMTV, BOTW2, etc).
Halo isn't a flagship title? Forza? Flight Sim? You, like others, just don't have tastes that fall in line with their offerings, which is obviously fine, but to call it thin compared to Nintendo and Sony is an odd opinion to say with objectivity.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much.

As much as I want Starfield, like, yesterday... No freaking chance that hits 2021. Doubt Forza is either from the silence.

I mean, yeah, but you listed Horizon and Gran Turismo which aren't likely to actually hit 2021 either. Not that it matters much because the list in the OP is actually already pretty solid on it's own.

Last edited:

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Pretty much.

I mean, yeah, but you listed Horizon and Gran Turismo which aren't likely to actually hit 2021 either. Not that it matters much because the list in the OP is actually already pretty solid on it's own.

Horizon and Gran Turismo have been announced for 2021. Starfield hasn't lol. We haven't even seen the game.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
As much as I want Starfield, like, yesterday... No freaking chance that hits 2021. Doubt Forza is either from the silence.
Todd Howard told IGN the game has been in development since the end of 2015, hell the leaker said the game was targeting 2021, if it doesn't it's because it's been delayed. I don't think it's impossible at all.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
How the fuck is this list depressing with stuff like Flight Simulator and Halo Infinite on it? If you don't like those games then why even buy an Xbox in the first place (rhetorical question, we know you didn't).

Anyways, it will be interesting to see their holiday lineup once it gets announced. Current speculation is on a Starfield and Forza Horizon 5 reveal, which would both be huge.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Looks like the Steam release will also be canceled, according to that article.
Not trying to say that the list is great or anything but your comment doesnt make a lot of sense. Obviously its just talking about console exclusivity otherwise there would hardly be any list at all. Most of those games will release on steam, including every ms first party game.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
Not really an exciting list (and some odd inclusions) but I'm not expecting too much from Sony or Nintendo either this year. 2021 is going to be a tough year for video games and entertainment in general.

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
If Ratchet, Horizon, Gran Turismo, and Returnal all make 2021 (Returnal is basically a certainty) then yes... Not counting any timed exclusive stuff like Deathloop or Ghostwire.

Sure, on paper, those are some strong releases. But we don't know of the state of Forza or any other big Bethesda release for MS, so these could be a moot comparison.

And on top of that, Gran Turismo could easily be pushed or released in a limited state (as is its history). Add on to that the fact that Hosuemarque is super unproven at the AAA level. And honestly, Horizon feels like 2022, as they were super non-committal on dates.

So I'm just saying that lineup could very easily be just Ratchet and a medicore Returnal game if delays happen. I hope not, as I want to see good games, but Sony is being pretty cagey about a lot of that. I feel like the years end up looking quite similar for both companies, with each of them having lots of small- and mid-sized indies that are good and then 3-4 bigger games of a quality that no one knows.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
What was the point of releasing new Xbox consoles in 2020? Just to have it out on shelves with the PS5?

Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck is this list depressing with stuff like Flight Simulator and Halo Infinite on it? If you don't like those games then why even buy an Xbox in the first place (rhetorical question, we know you didn't).

Anyways, it will be interesting to see their holiday lineup once it gets announced. Current speculation is on a Starfield and Forza Horizon 5 reveal, which would both be huge.
You know why it's depressing some people...

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
There's a bunch of stuff in that list I'm looking forward to trying. Will be crushed if Halo gets pushed back again

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Only want Medium which I know will be average at best.

Halo is whatever at this point. I wanted to be excited for it, but I have 0 hype with 343 at the moment.

Yeah, 21 will be rough for my Series X.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Their definition of exclusive sure is interesting...

I get the technicality thing about "in 2021" but that's a weird qualification to use. Hopefully we see this list grow by the end of the year.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought The Gunk looked cool. That's probably the game on this list I want to see more from. Scorn could be cool. And although my hopes aren't high, how can you not be curious about the next Halo game?

As for XBox having a rough year, eh. It is what it is at this point. It seems like they almost always have a rough year software-wise, but their fans are still happy and they are making great strides in other areas.