• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How does your 401(k) compare to your age group?

• Significantly less

Votes: 370 25.0%
  • About the same

Votes: 236 15.9%
  • Significantly more

Votes: 566 38.2%
  • I don't have a 401(k)

Votes: 177 11.9%
  • I am not american and don't want to be counted in the poll

Votes: 81 5.5%
  • ayy lmao

Votes: 52 3.5%

• Total voters

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Below my age group, but still an okay amount thanks to my employer matching contributions. I would have been putting in more if I didn't have student loans bleeding me dry for the last decade.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
28, around 70k. I contribute 10%, once my wife returns to work I'll contribute the max.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Yeah my friends opened up a regular investment account and they put money into a small cap index fund. Considering the child just had his first birthday, I think he can handle the additional volatility vs a market index fund.

One potential loophole I was looking at is child acting. A baby can be an actor which counts as employment which makes them eligible for a Roth IRA. The question then becomes how much does it cost to set up a legally recognized production that makes them eligible for the IRA?

I didn't think of that. I was planning to just wait until my kid was 12/13 and start having him do stuff like yardwork, etc. I'm not a min/maxer to the point where I need to have my kid put away 6k a year in an IRA from when he's born. If anything, we'll just stick $2k to $3k a year in a targeted index fund (like retirement date 2080) a year for them.

Going through more trouble than that isn't worth it me for me, personally.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I didn't start saving for retirement at all (because I couldn't) until I was 30. I'm 41 now and well above the average for my age group according to the OP. The company I've been working for for nearly a decade has been a big boost to my retirement plans because they contribute 15% of my gross to my retirement every year, and I am currently doing 15% myself.

Like a lot of you, I would be a lot further ahead if not for student loans, but I finally got those paid off last spring.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
31. I contribute about 12% per paycheck atm. I worked for 4 years without contributing to retirement before my current job (startup which didn't have any retirement package and i made shit so couldn't really afford it at the time) so I'm playing catchup.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what percentage of Americans actually have a 401k? These numbers are basically meaningless unless you know that statistic. My employer (the state) doesn't offer a 401k, but I get a pension that I contribute to every paycheck (roughly 7%).

State employees can contribute to to $19,500 annually into a 403b or 457 plan. Even more when you get older (catch-up years).

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Retirement-Era |OT| How to Invest For Retirement OT

Investing Primer (What's a stock anyway?) This section will hopefully give you a clear understanding of terminology you'll come across in this thread as well as why we give the advice that we do. Most things here will not be fully technically discussed because it's not really relevant to...

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
Been contributing for almost 25 years at a low 6% with a company match of the same. Started at a bad time right before the dot com collapse but have almost reached the point where my 401k is making as much as my annual salary. Start early, that's the most important thing I've learned. As they say, time in the market beats timing the market.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've been pounding into my 401K lately so it's nice to see I am above my range.-

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
well... thanks to 2020, I'm flying way under average now because I had to dip in to it to survive because my state's (kentucky) unemployment offices are closed, except the main office near Frankfort. You can't go in, you can't reach a human on the phone, the automated system tells you your place in line is saved but they NEVER call back, they don't respond to emails and they've recently set up an phone call appointment system which reads "no appointments available" ever day I check it. I was out of work for months and filed and claimed like I was supposed to, but they flagged my claim as "under investigation" but still, since Sept. 2020, haven't got back to me or fixed the issue. Thanks to the CARES act, I had to get into my 401k just to pay the bills :(

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
I was contributing around 12% but recently lowered it to 6% as I'm trying to save for a new home (maybe). I'm above the amount which is nice but I was lucky starting off really young with one at my first job.

ecnal

Oct 27, 2017
Well, if anything, this topic has inspired me to up my 401(k) contribution. I was always at the company match, but now I'm going to try and start maxing it out and see what my take-home pay looks like.

Contributing just to the company match and then saving/investing via other mechanisms -- IRA's, ROTH IRA's, HSA's, etc -- can be fine depending on your situation.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
For my age, I'm way ahead of the pack I'in terms of savings, but behind the pack in terms of contributions.

I vanguard has done a good job managing my money

Apr 24, 2018
I definitely feel behind the 8 ball for 401(k). Early on, I either didn't have a company match or only got a company match after a full year after employment, and I left two of those jobs right around that one year mark - either contributed nothing or next to nothing at those times. I also got paid relatively poorly compared to what I know I could have made during my 20s and really had to take whatever I could get - mainly thanks to the Financial Crisis.

After getting my second salaried position, my salary stayed flat for several years, as I job hopped trying to find a tenable situation for work/life balance; I had some interviews with great paying companies but only wound up getting offers at lower paying ones time and time again. Finally caught a break in my early 30s and made a couple of huge jumps in salary.

I'm about to enter my mid 30s and am right around the figure cited for the 30-39 age group. However, the last couple of years, I've made much more of a concerted effort - am now socking away 11%. I hope to hit the full $19,500/year in three of four years (will also be raising my % contributed each year, as well).

However, in my main brokerage account (non-retirement), I've been investing for about 15 years. If I can quadruple what I currently have invested right now in the next 20-25 years and rebalance my portfolio to have a slightly higher dividend yield, I could use that income stream to cover my normal living expenses. I'd then likely mainly use my 401(k) for unexpected medical emergencies.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
tenor.gif

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Contributing just to the company match and then saving/investing via other mechanisms -- IRA's, ROTH IRA's, HSA's, etc -- can be fine depending on your situation.

I thought this was actually what's recommended isn't it?

Step 1: 401k to company match
Step 2: Max Roth IRA
Step 3: ...I can't remember after that because I've yet to fully max my Roth in a year :/

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Too low or too high?
Too high.

If you are in your 30s, you dealt with the economic depression from 2008 which means 401k contributions were either next to nothing or really low. Unless you had a job that was not impacted during that Era and had the ability to keep savings around.

Imagine being in the workforce during 2008 or so and then also dealing with losing your job due to covid. Our generation has been screwed one way or another outside our control.

dammitmattt

Oct 28, 2017
Double my age group, but still not nearly enough. I should've maxed it out at an early age and stuck to it. Alas, live and learn.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I really think investing in just the S&P 500 is a mistake. For example, it went down from 2000 to 2010. On Jan 1st, 2000 it was at 1425.59. On Jan. 1st, 2010 it was at 1123.58. Dividends got you to barely break even. People that were globally diversified over that decade did just fine.
For my stocks I'm 55% US (everything but micro caps so small, mid and large), 35% developed markets and 10% emerging markets. Go with the entire global economy.

Well it worked out abundantly wonderful for me. :)

LilZippa

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
I'm 40 and almost at the average for the next decade. Feeling like I did something right financially for once in my life. Just got a promotion too so I should finally be financially independent for the first time in life.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I'm barely in the 30-39 age range and have almost exactly the average amount for that age bracket, so, I guess that puts me ahead of the curve a little bit. I have savings other than that, as well.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Im at 72k age 26. doing pretty good since graduating college!
That's amazing for your age, keep up the good work!

The thing with all of this stuff is that the sooner you start, the better off you are. Even if you only start with small amounts. I started my 401k after college, and then didn't move it when my job blew up in the dotcom crash. The company eventually closed, and they liquidated my 401k (which incurred a tax hit). I started maxing out my 401k after that, even though it made finances tighter.

I got married during the housing crisis, and then got divorced a few years later after the market rebounded. I lost a bunch (~20%) of my 401k in the divorce. Despite that, I was fortunate to have a stable job throughout and was able to keep putting money into retirement accounts. Now I'm at a pretty respectable multiplier of the average for my age bracket.

It's frustrating to look back at the mistakes I made, and realize that I could be in even better shape, but I'm thankful for all the small things I did, since they've compounded dramatically.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
35 and have about 70k in mine contributing 11% with a 4% company match. Starting a new job in a week that will contribute 10% up front invested immediately which I'm pretty excited for. I've been helping my wife with her IRA since she's never had a retirement account, so this will allow me to help her out even more.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
If we're just counting 401k's, I'm technically way behind. When I add my IRAs, I'm way ahead for my age group. I worked a 1099 job for several years, so most of my retirement is in an IRA.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
After the market crash in 2008 a few people I worked with were just retiring and got completely hosed. Some lost up to 60% of what they had the year before. One of them committed suicide weeks later. I remember at the wake one of the other guys that retired told me to learn from their mistakes and not take 401k for granted.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the market crash in 2008 a few people I worked with were just retiring and got completely hosed. Some lost up to 60% of what they had the year before. One of them committed suicide weeks later. I remember at the wake one of the other guys that retired told me to learn from their mistakes and not take 401k for granted.
Yup. Fin Services continues to push the 401k but basically depending on how yours works you may never recover after a downturn.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'm putting in about 5% of my paycheck. I know I should give more but it works out as I have an employer match, so technically I'm putting in 10%.

BTW, if your employer offers a match, FUCKING DO IT. It's essentially free money.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

That's what really sucks in that we're at the mercy of the market with regards to retirement. The smart thing to do is save money personally, but that isn't an option for a lot of people. Especially given most millennials aren't even saving, Social Security is going to run out of money by the time we all hit 65, and with credit scores absolutely plummeting, basically many of us are going to be working until the day we die, and for most it isn't our fault, just shite luck.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good bit more apparently. My parents made me start when I got out of college.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
My employer offers a 401K but doesn't contribute/match, so I don't bother. I've been maxing out my Roth IRA the past 4 years or so, and saving the rest in index funds.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Is this separate from other retirement accounts like a roth ira? I'm just about at the right amount compared to the chart, but that's after adding up both roth and simple ira (which is what my work offered, not a 401k). Without the roth, not even close to my bracket's numbers

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Way behind my age group. Didn't get a 401(k) until my late thirties so rip. My company doesn't match so I've been contributing at 20% to try and catch up. I got my Roth IRA and stock portfolio that will help with my retirement as well. Been maxing my IRA so that will be a decent nest egg in a few decades.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Actually 401(k) contributions are limited to $19,500 per year... so someone making $250K a year can only contribute 7.8%. It's not the super wealthy skewing things here.

kinda true.

19500 is the current pre-tax limit. But, your employers contributions don't count towards that. Folks in their 50s are allowed catch up contributions. Additionally it is allowable in the tax code (and if your plan supports it) to make after-tax contributions as well. Further the code and some plans allow that money to be immediately rolled into Roth 401k status. This is known as the mega backdoor roth as you can do an extra 20k or so a year in roth money if the plan supports it.

all of those little extra ways can combine for much higher contributions for the year, and the max of all contributions from all sources is like 57k or something now per year.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My situation is complicated because I have money in both a 403(b) as well as Danish pension savings.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
turning 25 this year.

401(k) only, I have about $10.5k contributed with $14.6k employer match bringing it to about $25k. So combining those, significantly higher than my age group. Not counting, slightly lower. Vestment is in ~4 months though, so if I were to leave now I'd lose all that match money. Holding out for that for sure...

Counting my Roth account doubles the total, though. I max out my employer match in the 401k and then max Roth, so more of my personal contributions are in the Roth.

Either way, I'm definitely fortunate and in a good position. I occasionally check in on my friends and make sure they are thinking about retirement funds because even with small contributions one can afford - it will add up and it's important to start early.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
My job doesn't offer a 401k, but I've got a Roth IRA I max out every year and a decent chunk of savings with no debt. Really need a career change, though, as a Roth IRA is so limited by the contribution caps.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Sounds about right to me. I just started putting 10-15% on mine at age 27. Even though I make good money, I had way too many things to worry about before + I got several tens of thousands in emergency savings. I'll try to stick to 15% for good by the end of the year.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
How much money are people making that they can comfortably contribute almost 20k towards 401k yearly? That would be more than half of my salary until very recently.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
That's why it's important to gradually decrease your exposure to equities and more toward bonds and other fixed-income assets as you get closer to retirement.

Nowadays there are target-date retirement funds that automatically do this for you.

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, of course, often I'm at a loss about what to do with my spare money.

My leftover money. The stuff I don't need right now or in the immediate future.