• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How does your 401(k) compare to your age group?

• Significantly less

Votes: 370 25.0%
  • About the same

Votes: 236 15.9%
  • Significantly more

Votes: 566 38.2%
  • I don't have a 401(k)

Votes: 177 11.9%
  • I am not american and don't want to be counted in the poll

Votes: 81 5.5%
  • ayy lmao

Votes: 52 3.5%

• Total voters

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.cnbc.com

Here's how much Americans have saved in their 401(k)s at every age

Only 1.6 million people withdrew money from their 401(k) under the CARES Act since March, according to data from Fidelity.

For many Americans, 2020 was a tough year financially. Between March 2020 and January 2021, around 1.6 million individuals took out savings from their 401(k) plans under the CARES Act, which allowed those affected by the pandemic to withdraw up to $100,000 without incurring the usual early withdrawal penalty, according to retirement-plan provider Fidelity. That represents 6.3% of eligible individuals using Fidelity's workplace savings platform.

But despite the volume of withdrawals from 401(k) accounts under the CARES Act, a third of 401(k) savers increased their savings rate in 2020. Fidelity also saw record contributions from women in the fourth quarter of 2020.

The overall average 401(k) balance came to $121,500 as of the fourth quarter of 2020, according to Fidelity.

106842867-1613747074121-average-401k-balance-for-every-age-group.png

"The most important thing is to start saving as early as possible and consistently over time because that is really what ends up building up your balance at retirement," says Eliza Badeau, vice president of thought leadership at Fidelity.

Although retirement may seem far away, it's better to start saving early because it allows you to ride out the highs and lows of the market, says Badeau.

Fidelity recommends having 10 times your salary socked away by the time you retire. To get there, the company recommends aiming to consistently save 15% of your income, including both your employee contribution and the employer match.

In addition to saving for retirement, it's also important to get your finances stable from a short-term perspective so you do not have to dip back into money that you have put away for the long-term, Badeau says.

Aim to save three to six months worth of living expenses in a liquid cash account. You should think of that as an emergency fund to keep you afloat if you were to lose your job, Badeau says.

It may seem overwhelming to try and save so much at one time, but it's OK to start small. Set achievable goals by saving one month at a time, and eventually work your way up to your desired balance.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I put 5% in my 401k every paycheck. I'm 25 and I don't have a ton of disposable income, but thats what my job will match.

Apple

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know what a 401k is. I guess it's something some employers offer to help with retirement? Must be nice.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be interested to know (at it's not clear from the article, as far as I can see) whether the average contribution rates by age include employer matching or are just employee contributions.

Oct 28, 2017
There are other retirement vehicles, Roth IRA for example, that people use, so I dunno how relevant those figures are. That being said my gf and I put in the max match % for both of our employers, doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to exceed that.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Those average 401k contribution rates seem crazy high to me. I contribute what I get matched and that's it.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
How useful is the % of income metric? Because the actual person's income affects the percentage and adds so much noise to the stat.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I started my 401k at the beginning of this year because I finally became eligible. I'm maxing out because I don't pay any bills and don't have any debts, but if I ever move out I'll have to stop. Hopefully by this year I'll be above the average for my age group (25-30).

SM0KE

Oct 27, 2017
Those average 401k contribution rates seem crazy high to me. I contribute what I get matched and that's it.
I'd be more interested in seeing the median numbers rather than averages because the super wealthy will skew averages to make things look a lot rosier than they are in reality.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
How useful is the % of income metric? Because the actual person's income affects the percentage and adds so much noise to the stat.
It's relevant in the sense that if you want to have a retirement income that's a certain proportion of your salary then you will need to put in a certain percentage of your salary each year in order to have a decent chance of achieving that. That percentage will depend on how much you already have saved and how long you have to go until retirement.

GameDev

Aug 29, 2018
I don't even know what a 401k is. I guess it's something some employers offer to help with retirement? Must be nice.

It's a retirement savings account that has some tax benefits. If your employer doesn't offer one, you can get yourself a Roth IRA. Put in as much as you can as early as you can. If a child born today is given 12,000, they will have their entire retirement taken care of with the most basic of investments (index funds).

We have a topic on this: https://www.resetera.com/threads/retirement-era-ot-how-to-invest-for-retirement.1453/

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ahead of my age group but still feels like hardly any money.

Talka

Oct 29, 2017
I'd be more interested in seeing the median numbers rather than averages because the super wealthy will skew averages to make things look a lot rosier than they are in reality.

Actually 401(k) contributions are limited to $19,500 per year... so someone making $250K a year can only contribute 7.8%. It's not the super wealthy skewing things here.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
32 and put about 16% before employer 6%. Have some time to catch up as my previous employers didn't offer a 401k. So far I am slightly above the average. I like to increase my contributions by 2% or more a year.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
If the pandemic did anything good, it forced people to save more money than they otherwise would've (less travel was also a net positive for the planet).

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How I would've loved to have added $7000 to my 401k each year for the last 10 years instead of student loans. I'm still slightly ahead of my age group, but still...

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily my employer finally added a match this year. I used to front load my contribution but lowered it to take advantage of that free money every paycheck.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
It's a retirement savings account that has some tax benefits. If your employer doesn't offer one, you can get yourself a Roth IRA. Put in as much as you can as early as you can. If a child born today is given 12,000, they will have their entire retirement taken care of with the most basic of investments (index funds).

We have a topic on this: https://www.resetera.com/threads/retirement-era-ot-how-to-invest-for-retirement.1453/

Never seen that exact number ($12,000) like that. Always assumed it was a crazy low (relatively speaking) number, but wow. Set aside $200/mo for 5 years from ages 25-30, then have a kid when you're 30, and you just set them up for retirement.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Been maxing out my Roth IRA for the past 5 years. If my employer offered a 401k, I would've contributed to that too.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
30-39 os probably split between those who started in the workforce post 08 recession.

GameDev

Aug 29, 2018
Never seen that exact number ($12,000) like that. Always assumed it was a crazy low (relatively speaking) number, but wow. Set aside $200/mo for 5 years from ages 25-30, then have a kid when you're 30, and you just set them up for retirement.

That's effect of compound interest. Roughly every 7 years your money doubles with market returns. $1000 you put away at 19 turns into $8000 dollars at 40.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't have a 401K but I have a pension plan under the Florida Retirement System.

I also have a bit contributed to a 403B but not much there.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Damn the American retirement system is so broken as fuck and most of the people who even have 401ks are still going to find it doesn't go anywhere near as far as they will need. I still don't understand how they even pushed the 401k idea so far, if I remember correctly the original plan of 401ks was to be an extra on top of other suitable pensions via work and such, but of course that had to be transformed into the system where they were instead the main thing is the retirement plans and sadly a lot of people will find they are either working until they die or find out that all the money set aside all their lives wasn't as good as a pension would have been.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Are we sure those are averages by age, and not averages by age for only those that contribute?
Who knows? The article hasn't bothered to source the chart other than saying it's from Fidelity, so there are a whole load of questions that can't be answered here, which is unfortunate (and quite frankly, shit journalism).

That's effect of compound interest. Roughly every 7 years your money doubles with market returns. $1000 you put away at 19 turns into $8000 dollars at 40.
Yep, so if you wait until you are 30 before starting a retirement savings plan, assuming constant returns and constant level of contributions, you will end up with half as much at retirement as if you'd started in your early 20s.

Oct 30, 2017
I'll be 39 and I'm scared if I'll make it to 65. I really want to retire before 65, too. I have about 30k in my 401k. I'm contributing 16% of my income per pay period to my 401k.

I have a taxable account and Roth. I put $500 a month towards my Roth. I opened my Roth last March. I have a total relationship value for my taxable account and Roth about $50k.

ive been told it's not too late for me due to my age. But we'll see. The goal is to make more money and move up.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

Oh for sure, it's just seeing that flat number at birth being the number you'd need to roughly retire gives me some extra motivation to try to set aside a chunk like that for my future kid. Easier said than done, but nice to have a few more financial goals.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I have 403(b) and 401(a) accounts through my employer (basically the same as a 401(k)). I contribute the maximum to my 403(b), and my employer contributes 10.5% of my yearly salary to my 401(a). I also have a Roth IRA that I max out, and a taxable account that I put money into every now and then on top of that.

I'm hoping to retire in my 50s.

Here's a very illuminating article that someone has linked to before: https://fourpillarfreedom.com/the-math-behind-why-net-worth-goes-crazy-after-the-first-100k/

For those who have retirement accounts and are able to contribute to them... don't squander that opportunity.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
It's relevant in the sense that if you want to have a retirement income that's a certain proportion of your salary then you will need to put in a certain percentage of your salary each year in order to have a decent chance of achieving that. That percentage will depend on how much you already have saved and how long you have to go until retirement.
Yeah, so even then, there's way more variables involved to make this one meaningful. It's much easier to say, "you can retire with x lifestyle if you put in a flat y amt every year" vs "if you put in x% of your salary, you can have a retirement in accordance to what your salary was when you put x%, etc etc etc"
Been maxing out my Roth IRA for the past 5 years. If my employer offered a 401k, I would've contributed to that too.
Depending on how much you like your job, that would be grounds for finding a new one. When we used a shitty 401k provider that would skim 2% off the top, we joked that leaving the company would be the highest payout move we could make for retirement.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, guess I'm a little over average between my 401 and IRA. Then again, I'm single in a small apartment and work all the time.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I haven't contributed as much lately, but I contributed like mad during the first 10 years I was out of college, so I'm well ahead (~2.5x average) now.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The second picture is odd without a caption... how much Americans are contributing, but a percentage? The article says:

"Below, check out the average amount of money Americans have saved in their Fidelity accounts as of the fourth quarter of 2020, as well as how much their contributions are in relation to their salaries."

Personally, I don't contribute a percentage of my salary (that's not my worry). I contribute the max I personally can (~$19.5k), and don't worry about employer matching (though employer matching last year for me was a bit over $4k). It's also important to me to contribute max to an IRA, even if there's no benefit (compound interest is my benefit).

I'm also curious if just using Fidelity's data is sufficient. I'd also rather see 401k+IRA balances, not just 401k.

I will say that I'm grateful that by Fidelity's numbers, my savings for retirement appears to be well-ahead relative to the average for my age group. I'm also overly-saving though, being as I have also a pension in addition to my IRA, SS, and 401k plan.

I always felt like I started savings really late (I didn't start seriously contributing until I was in my mid 20s), and I know for my children I'm going to get them set up with an IRA as soon as they're 14/15 and manage it for them.

In my early 20s, although I had a 401k, I ended up taking some money out and didn't put it back for a few years. I really regret that. Compound interest is amazing. My parents, namely my dad, taught me very early on I needed to have a 401k and IRA account and save. However, he left me alone for the most part about what that meant. I'm going to take what he taught me, add my own knowledge, and go a step further for my kids.

Although I feel like I made some mistakes, I'm hoping to set up my kids with IRA accounts around 14/15, and even if they only save $2k a year then, it'll be worth so much more at 60, like what GameDev stated.

(And if anyone else here is worrying about your kid's retirements like I do, a rothIRA can be passed onto them without worries of RMD, while a trad IRA can't, so I'd recommend a rothIRA for that reason.)

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Poll shows how much of a bubble Era is when it comes to wages due to the high % of tech related people here.