• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
So I have been given a Sony x7000f

I've never had a 4K or HDR tv before. It doesn't look right when I try to use the HDR setting.

Is there somewhere I can look at to calibrate the settings? I know it's not a great tv, but it looks ridiculous vibrant or vivid and too colourful with HDR.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Sony TV's are super fickle with HDR. Sometimes you need to force it via the menu and sometimes it plays fine on auto mode. What device or app are you using to play your HDR vids.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Are you trying to view HDR from an internal app or through a HDMI?

Use rtings.com to find some reasonable settings.

OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
I'm playing games mostly. PS4 Pro. I checked RTINGS and they only had calibrations for the 700d

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing games mostly. PS4 Pro. I checked RTINGS and they only had calibrations for the 700d
Lol at that first comment. Relax buddy

As for the the TV what exactly looks off about it? I've found people sometimes have an adjustment period to HDR in particular. The way the screen dims when it's going from super high nits to a dark scene as well as people not being used to accurate color represented on their set

OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
Lol at that first comment. Relax buddy

As for the the TV what exactly looks off about it? I've found people sometimes have an adjustment period to HDR in particular. The way the screen dims when it's going from super high nits to a dark scene as well as people not being used to accurate color represented on their set

Yeah it either seems to dark or too bright. It's funny my girlfriend mentioned that the colour might look off to us because were so use to the "wrong" colour.

In torchlight 2, the loading screens, the characters look orange-yellow tho. That seems wrong lol

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah it either seems to dark or too bright. It's funny my girlfriend mentioned that the colour might look off to us because were so use to the "wrong" colour.

In torchlight 2, the loading screens, the characters look orange-yellow tho. That seems wrong lol
In my experience with HDR it can look too dark, but only to have lightsources shine really really bright. This becomes very evident for me when watching Dolby Vision content on Netflix. Some scenes look really dark, but still have a lot of detail. But as soon as you see a lightsource (maybe a flashlight or lamp or something) it really is like there's an actual light there and not just a washed out yellow/blue highlight.
It's hard to describe but it takes some getting used to. Of course you need to tweak the settings, but it's also really hard to find a sweet spot. In general the luminance should be so bright that you can still see detail in bright areas (e.g. clouds around the sun) and the color should be adjusted so you can still see detail in dark areas but it isn't washed out.

Edit: saw you're playing on PS4 Pro. If you happen to have Assassin's Creed Odyssey try the HDR setup screen there. It's rather good.

OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
Do you have to enable enhanced HDMI functionality to allow HDR? I had to on my x950g

Yep. I stumbled upon the enhance hdmi port setting lol

I've just played around a bit and turned the colour me brightness down a little. I'd take a pic but I don't know how well these things translate

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
My advice unless you have a professional calibrate it, I would leave the color space and white balance on auto. Also set the tv to movie mode. Have sharpness at 0; set color tone to warm 2 because that's the most accurate picture. It will probably take you time for your eyes to adjust to it. You also want to keep off like dynamic contrast, digital clean view and ect. This is what I did for my tv which is Samsung 4k from 2015. I researched it allot and basically if you don't have the professional equipment there's no reason to really mess which the color and white balance

OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
In my experience with HDR it can look too dark, but only to have lightsources shine really really bright. This becomes very evident for me when watching Dolby Vision content on Netflix. Some scenes look really dark, but still have a lot of detail. But as soon as you see a lightsource (maybe a flashlight or lamp or something) it really is like there's an actual light there and not just a washed out yellow/blue highlight.
It's hard to describe but it takes some getting used to. Of course you need to tweak the settings, but it's also really hard to find a sweet spot. In general the luminance should be so bright that you can still see detail in bright areas (e.g. clouds around the sun) and the color should be adjusted so you can still see detail in dark areas but it isn't washed out.

Edit: saw you're playing on PS4 Pro. If you happen to have Assassin's Creed Odyssey try the HDR setup screen there. It's rather good.

Oh sweet. I'll have a look. I think I still have a copy. I'll check that out.

Thanks for the help. I know it's a mid range or worse tv, but I figured it's gotta look better than this. I could always disable the HDR and just use the 4K, but that seems like a waste

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Also keep HDMI black level on low or auto. Because say if it's on hi and the ps4 setting is on low it will give you a washed out look

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I stumbled upon the enhance hdmi port setting lol

I've just played around a bit and turned the colour me brightness down a little. I'd take a pic but I don't know how well these things translate
Not very well unfortunately. I'd say in regards to the birghtness you'll get used to it but it helps to have both a completely dark viewing room as well as turning down the screen backlight some. I have mine maxed but it took me a while to get used to it

With the colors I have less insight without being able to see it. It could be you or possibly the tv but the more likely culprit in my mind is the settings. Keep in mind that there are LOTS of games out there that have poorly done HDR so it could be that as well. I can't speak to Torchlight but I've played a couple of games where the color was definitely off and I just switched the HDR off.

A better way to check the color and HDR would be to use either a Blu-ray or Vudu digital 4K movie. In my experience they have the best reproduction out there. Netflix has some great HDR content but some of it can be washed out or too dark but almost all the Vudu 4K movies I own look great (assuming they were mastered properly in the first place) some ones I'd recommend
Alien
Saving Private Ryan
Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049
The Revenant

If you have Amazon prime

Too young to die old (this is mostly bc it uses light and dark really well you're not going to get a lot of muted tones in the show like daylight skin etc)

Carnival row is pretty nice but it's REALLY dark in a lot of scenes

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Oh sweet. I'll have a look. I think I still have a copy. I'll check that out.

Thanks for the help. I know it's a mid range or worse tv, but I figured it's gotta look better than this. I could always disable the HDR and just use the 4K, but that seems like a waste
The x750f seems to be the same tv but with some more bells and whistles so perhaps give the rtings settings a try for that:

Also I'd check out the Rtings this poster linked. I've used their calibrations for several TVs that were a lower model than the calibration profile and with a minor amount of tweaking it still worked really well

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Not very well unfortunately. I'd say in regards to the birghtness you'll get used to it but it helps to have both a completely dark viewing room as well as turning down the screen backlight some. I have mine maxed but it took me a while to get used to it

With the colors I have less insight without being able to see it. It could be you or possibly the tv but the more likely culprit in my mind is the settings. Keep in mind that there are LOTS of games out there that have poorly done HDR so it could be that as well. I can't speak to Torchlight but I've played a couple of games where the color was definitely off and I just switched the HDR off.

A better way to check the color and HDR would be to use either a Blu-ray or Vudu digital 4K movie. In my experience they have the best reproduction out there. Netflix has some great HDR content but some of it can be washed out or too dark but almost all the Vudu 4K movies I own look great (assuming they were mastered properly in the first place) some ones I'd recommend
Alien
Saving Private Ryan
The Revenant

If you have Amazon prime

Too young to die old (this is mostly bc it uses light and dark really well you're not going to get a lot of muted tones in the show like daylight skin etc)

Amazon prime video ps4 app doesn't even support hdr which I found this out yesterday lol

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Also I'd check out the Rtings this poster linked. I've used their calibrations for several TVs that were a lower model than the calibration profile and with a minor amount of tweaking it still worked really well
When you copy rtings settings do you use the numbers they provide for color space and white balance or do you leave them on auto?

OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
Thread started off a bit rocky but you guys have been great. I'm gunna follow that guide and hopefully it all looks a little more natural

I was using a 55"Bravia from like 8 years ago. This seems like a step up, even with the weird HDR so far

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon prime video ps4 app doesn't even support hdr which I found this out yesterday lol
When you copy rtings settings do you use the numbers they provide for color space and white balance or do you leave them on auto?
Yeah I only use my built in apps on the TV I never use the PS. I have a TCL so it's got a pretty robust Roku built in. I have a Chromecast as well but it's not the ultra. As for the advanced color settings I'm fairly certain I used the exact reference but honestly I don't think it hurts to play around a little. You can use the suggested settings from a higher tier as long as it's a similar model and not something way pricier. Just be sure you can reset or write down the original numbers in case it looks bad. I find color balance one of the most important settings so I personally like to fiddle around with it even if, like the other poster said, it's not suggested without input on the exact panel

Also if you're in the market next year I can't speak highly enough about TCL's higher tier models. I have the P series but the 6 is amazing as well. They compete with a number of other manufacturers highest end models for a super affordable price. I think the 55" 6 goes for around $750 new and you can find them refurbished even cheaper (that's the route I went with my P and it only cost me $450 and it's still running beautifully)

Obviously a OLED or really high end model will beat the TCL but for their price they're amazing. Just make sure to do the research. Their lower end models are just okay or in some cases not very good. I recently got one for my gf and while it's perfect for her I wouldn't want it. It doesn't have local dimming (very important for HDR) and the picture overall isn't close to mine

OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I only use my built in apps on the TV I never use the PS. I have a TCL so it's got a pretty robust Roku built in. I have a Chromecast as well but it's not the ultra. As for the advanced color settings I'm fairly certain I used the exact reference but honestly I don't think it hurts to play around a little. You can use the suggested settings from a higher tier as long as it's a similar model and not something way pricier. Just be sure you can reset or write down the original numbers in case it looks bad. I find color balance one of the most important settings so I personally like to fiddle around with it even if, like the other poster said, it's not suggested without input on the exact panel

Also if you're in the market next year I can't speak highly enough about TCL's higher tier models. I have the P series but the 6 is amazing as well. They compete with a number of other manufacturers highest end models for a super affordable price. I think the 55" 6 goes for around $750 new and you can find them refurbished even cheaper (that's the route I went with my P and it only cost me $450 and it's still running beautifully)

Obviously a OLED or really high end model will beat the TCL but for their price they're amazing. Just make sure to do the research. Their lower end models are just okay or in some cases not very good. I recently got one for my gf and while it's perfect for her I wouldn't want it. It doesn't have local dimming (very important for HDR) and the picture overall isn't close to mine

I wanted a tcl but they don't seem to sell many over here in aus

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted a tcl but they don't seem to sell many over here in aus
Not sure if this is the same as their P series over here but it's worth looking into. Also not sure about the money conversion or if $999 is too pricey there but here you go for future use

Obviously since you just got a new TV yrr're not gonna be in the market right now but I'd definitely keep an eye on them for the future. They have some really nice sets coming out in the next year or two as well and I suspect they'll be putting out quality stuff for a while. They're almost single handedly driving the affordable mid tier market all by themselves

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you have the right HDMI cable for it, and make sure the ports support HDR. One of the ports on my LG can't do 4k.

OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
Ok so this is a dumb question, but do I have to have my tv on the HDR vivid or HDR video scene for HDR to work? Or do I get HDR on any scene, like game it graphics or Cinema?

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Ok so this is a dumb question, but do I have to have my tv on the HDR vivid or HDR video scene for HDR to work? Or do I get HDR on any scene, like game it graphics or Cinema?
When the TV detects and HDR signal, you should get new HDR presets from the menu. My g/f has a Sony 4K HDR set and I've been messing with her settings this past week. There's a Vivid, Normal, Custom, Game, etc for the HDR mode. They won't say, "HDR Vivid", just "Vivid", but since you're using an HDR signal, they save as a separate setting. I know this is a bit confusing, lol. So if you change the settings in SDR Custom/Normal/Vivid/etc, they shouldn't carry over to HDR Custom/Normal/Vivid, etc.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
BTW, seconding the mention of Rtings . That site is fantastic. I have used it on a couple of TVs to set up for various things (games vs sports for example). Just a great site to keep in a bookmark or whatever.

OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
When the TV detects and HDR signal, you should get new HDR presets from the menu. My g/f has a Sony 4K HDR set and I've been messing with her settings this past week. There's a Vivid, Normal, Custom, Game, etc for the HDR mode. They won't say, "HDR Vivid", just "Vivid", but since you're using an HDR signal, they save as a separate setting. I know this is a bit confusing, lol. So if you change the settings in SDR Custom/Normal/Vivid/etc, they shouldn't carry over to HDR Custom/Normal/Vivid, etc.

Ahh yep. My tv just has a lot of different "scenes" and two of them are HDR vivid and HDR video. They look vastly different from the other settings. I wasn't sure if had to use these scenes in particular to actually get the HDR effect or not.

It's all new to me >_<

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Ahh yep. My tv just has a lot of different "scenes" and two of them are HDR vivid and HDR video. They look vastly different from the other settings. I wasn't sure if had to use these scenes in particular to actually get the HDR effect or not.

It's all new to me >_<
Do you see those HDR Vivid and HDR Video options when viewing non HDR content or only when you have HDR content displayed? Cause my LG OLED has a weird "fake" HDR scene option (called HDR Expert) when viewing SDR content to show you how it's supposed to look in HDR I guess. It's a dumb option which no one should ever use.

OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
Like aside from enabling enhanced hdmi ports I've not found any kind of HDR toggle on my tv itself. Is that normal?
Do you see those HDR Vivid and HDR Video options when viewing non HDR content or only when you have HDR content displayed? Cause my LG OLED has a weird "fake" HDR scene option (called HDR Expert) when viewing SDR content to show you how it's supposed to look in HDR I guess. It's a dumb option which no one should ever use.

Yep they show up on my switch. Which is plugged into hdmi 1. A non enhanced port.

So how do I know I'm displaying HDR? Looking up the rtings link I was given that tv has a toggle for HDR. You can turn it on or set it to auto. I can't find the setting anywhere on my tv. My tv literally doesn't mention HDR aside from these "scenes"

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Like aside from enabling enhanced hdmi ports I've not found any kind of HDR toggle on my tv itself. Is that normal?

Yep they show up on my switch. Which is plugged into hdmi 1. A non enhanced port.

So how do I know I'm displaying HDR? Looking up the rtings link I was given that tv has a toggle for HDR. You can turn it on or set it to auto. I can't find the setting anywhere on my tv. My tv literally doesn't mention HDR aside from these "scenes"
You can't force HDR to turn on. The TV needs to detect it and it will turn it on automatically. Hook your PS4 Pro up to your TV to one of the "enhanced" ports and then play a game that supports HDR. You should see the TV change in picture quality and then if you press the info button (or whatever buttons will pop up the TV UI that shows what HDMI port you're using) on your TV remote, you should see HDR at the top right.

That also tells me that the HDR Vivid and HDR Video modes are just "fake HDR" to showcase what it kinda looks like while you're using a SDR signal. Don't ever use those when viewing non HDR content. Just use Custom and follow rtings settings.

OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
You can't force HDR to turn on. The TV needs to detect it and it will turn it on automatically. Hook your PS4 Pro up to your TV to one of the "enhanced" ports and then play a game that supports HDR. You should see the TV change in picture quality and then if you press the info button (or whatever buttons will pop up the TV UI that shows what HDMI port you're using) on your TV remote, you should see HDR at the top right.

That also tells me that the HDR Vivid and HDR Video modes are just "fake HDR" to showcase what it kinda looks like while you're using a SDR signal. Don't ever use those when viewing non HDR content. Just use Custom and follow rtings settings.

OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah following the rtings settings, everything looks great on my tv. Then I enable HDR on horizon or destiny and everything looks crazy washed out and dull. And the picture settings don't change. Like, brightness contrast black level etc are all at the same values that they were before I enabled HDR in game.

I just called customer support and they've told me all I had to do was enhance the hdmi ports. Which I've done. I can go buy a different hdmi cable I guess?

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Yeah following the rtings settings, everything looks great on my tv. Then I enable HDR on horizon or destiny and everything looks crazy washed out and dull. And the picture settings don't change. Like, brightness contrast black level etc are all at the same values that they were before I enabled HDR in game.

I just called customer support and they've told me all I had to do was enhance the hdmi ports. Which I've done. I can go buy a different hdmi cable I guess?
Hmm, that's weird. When you're in HDR mode on a game, can you bring up the PS4's menus and go to Settings -> Sound and Screen -> Video Output Settings -> Video Output Information and post what it says?

When I'm in non HDR mode, the Color Format says RGB, but when I'm in HDR, it changes to YUV422(HDR)

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a colour gamut issue. Is there any setting on your TV that let you change the colour gamut to rec.2020. If you are playing a HDR movie but the colour gamut is on rec.709 (SDR colour )then it will looks washed out.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Ok, well that's good. Means your TV and PS4 are displaying HDR content correctly. Why it's washed out is another matter. I'm guessing you have the RGB Range set to Automatic in the Video Output Settings menu? That's what mine is set to. There's also Limited and Full, you can try either to see if the colors pop differently.

OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
This seems like a colour gamut issue. Is there any setting on your TV that let you change the colour gamut to rec.2020. If you are playing a HDR movie but the colour gamut is on rec.709 (SDR colour )then it will looks washed out.

This sounds exactly like my issue. But I can't find anything like this on my tv.

For the time being I've just disabled HDR. Honestly everything looks better than my last tv when HDR isn't on. It looks vibrant and clear and sexy. The 4K content looks great. When I try and make HDR work it looks washed out and dull. I don't know what's happening. I might get some professional help at some point. But as for now I'm kinda over it haha

Thanks for all the suggestions peeps

ÉŁGammaÉŁ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
This sounds exactly like my issue. But I can't find anything like this on my tv.

For the time being I've just disabled HDR. Honestly everything looks better than my last tv when HDR isn't on. It looks vibrant and clear and sexy. The 4K content looks great. When I try and make HDR work it looks washed out and dull. I don't know what's happening. I might get some professional help at some point. But as for now I'm kinda over it haha

You just set all video output settings to automatic. Note you have to turn enhanced format on for the right hdmi input in the TV menus, use hdmi 3 input. If it's not working it's the hdmi cable, you need a cable with 18 Gbps. Like this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Ce...=1567760141&s=gateway&sprefix=hdmi+pre&sr=8-7

Last edited:
OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago

Alien
Saving Private Ryan
The Revenant

If you have Amazon prime

Thanks for the advice. See when I put rtings color and white settings in for the exact same tv I can't tell a difference between that and the auto setting for both of them so I just decided to leave it as be. My tv probably isn't that great it's an early uhd tv from samsung js7000. That's why I want to go premium for my next tv and by either the LG b8 or c8 or get the Samsung Q series since those seem to be the best on the market. Honestly I think my settings for sdr are good but hdr I have no idea if it's good because I guess my tv doesnt have local dimming but the reviews said the hdr was good. What other settings should I tinker with in hdr? I know backlight is always 20 but I have no idea what else to mess with

OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty strange, what happens when you watch a YouTube hdr vid? Do you see the hdr logo on the right upper side of the TV when pressing i on the remote?

I posted a pic earlier in the thread of what my tv looks like when viewing any HDR content. There's never an HDR logo

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I have a Sony x930e. Not sure how different your TV is, but you don't really need to do anything for HDR. It's on or off. If you've been messing around with settings then reset them back to the default, put it in Cinema Pro for the most accurate picture, or Game mode for games, and adjust your brightness as you see fit for SDR content. HDR will max out the brightness and you should leave it that way. Stuff like black adjust, live color enhancement, etc., turn that all off. I would turn on smooth gradation to low if that's an option for you. Don't bother trying to calibrate your display using someone else's settings. Either get it done professionally, or don't do it at all.

Oct 28, 2017

What does your PS4 say under Settings - Sound and Screen - Video Output Settings. Is HDR detected/enabled?

edit: nevermind I see this has already been covered.

Also, I doubt it's the cable. My Amazon HDMI cables from like 4 years ago all pass HDR no problems.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017

Have you tried resetting the TV Video settings? I have a Sony and HDR works flawlessly as long as HDMI enhanced is enabled. You don't need to mess with any of the color spaces. The TV will auto-detect that for you.

Oct 28, 2017
Also, I don't believe the Display button on your remote will show HDR. You have to press Action Menu and go into the PIcture Adjustment settings.