• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
maximumzero Can we have the link to find about more about a project in the OP? https://apps.foldingathome.org/project

Also, question: it seems my CPU and GPU are doing separate foldings, but the WU is solely based on the CPU. What is the GPU doing, then?
BBgrFk0.png
If you click on the GPU tab (top right in your image), It should show which project the GPU is working on currently.
Just to clarify, you can't determine GPU usage with this? I'm basically quarantined so how useful would it be if I ran this 2-3 hours a day when I'm not using my computer?
Your mileage may vary based on the power of your CPU/GPU but 2-3 hours a day should be plenty. The deadlines for the work units seem to be fairly generous.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
One last stupid question. I can now work from home so I will be at my PC for at least 8 hours a day. Can I run these folding programs while I work, and even play some non-intensive games? Don't get me wrong, I will gladly stop gaming and you it for a better cause. I just don't want to fuck things up.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I hope they can get some more GPU workloads out there soon. Funnily enough my APU laptop finds work for the integrated Vega 8, but my RTX 2080 Super has to go hungry.

Finally found a WU worth a lot of points, and it disappeared just as quick.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, not sure why this isn't on Gaming side. You would think people there might have gaming PCs.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
One last stupid question. I can now work from home so I will be at my PC for at least 8 hours a day. Can I run these folding programs while I work, and even play some non-intensive games? Don't get me wrong, I will gladly stop gaming and you it for a better cause. I just don't want to fuck things up.

In the advanced viewer (in configure) you can assign how many cpu threads you want it to use, and could pause the GPU while gaming. I run Rosetta@home all day while working, and can't even tell a difference (cpu only).

Is it normal that only my GPU is working, but not my CPU? I have it set to medium.

There aren't any WU available right now due to the huge influx of new users. They're working on it though. Tweets on page 5 of this thread if you want more info.

jvm

Oct 27, 2017
jvm here and reporting for duty.

I'm all set up, I think, for whenever WU are available.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
I installed the program and put the team code but it's not working, nor it appears the covid 19 disease as selectable.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the stats on F@H's website only work in the middle of the night for me lol.

I installed the program and put the team code but it's not working, nor it appears the covid 19 disease as selectable.
COVID-19 was getting assigned thorugh the selection of "Any Disease" but they ran out of WUs for it due to so many new/returning users helping. I'm sure they'll put more up soon since it would be a waste when there's so much computation at their disposal, although it is Sunday.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you click on the GPU tab (top right in your image), It should show which project the GPU is working on currently.

Your mileage may vary based on the power of your CPU/GPU but 2-3 hours a day should be plenty. The deadlines for the work units seem to be fairly generous.
Oh, I didn't realize that was a tab! Thanks!

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Joined the cause! 5700XT picked up Coronavirus Project 11748 almost immediately. Set power to -20% and clock to -15%, and temps are around 60°C. Just waiting on my passkey.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
Joined the fight!

I've got my clunky old iMac working with the client now, its an i7 870 so not too shabby, every little helps.

The prefs for the app are not great, is there a menu for the Mac client I'm missing? I'd like to dedicate more CPU time whilst I'm at work.

EDIT:

I figured it out!

Last edited:

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
I have an old Windows XP gaming laptop that I could also be using; is XP still supported? Can I use two PCs at once?

poliwhirl

Sep 14, 2018
For those waiting on passkeys: don't forget to check your spam, that's where mine landed.
I don't get it... By WUs completed I should be in the top 10, but points are being assigned due to something else radically different i guess because I'm 90th
From what I understand, points are a combination of the speed you can work through units and the complexity of the unit, with the benchmark being a ~10(?) year old CPU. But since GPU units use the same benchmark, despite being far more capable for this kind of task, GPUs can earn significantly more points by being able to tackle far more complex units. That might not be quite right, or there may be more to it, but I think that's the gist of it at least.

But remember, the points don't really mean anything. So long as you're getting through units, that's all that matters. The only reason I got my passkey was to make sure my points lined up with what my GPU should be able to achieve, because at first my numbers were way under what they should've been and I was worried I'd done something wrong. Now that it's correct, I'm just letting it chug away without getting too caught up in how many people are doing better than me.

poliwhirl

Sep 14, 2018
That's the first place I checked. I also triple checked my email address.
Yeah, I assumed most people would check there, but thought I'd mention it just in case. It might just be they're overloaded with requests then, considering they ran out of work units yesterday. I don't know what else to suggest besides waiting it out, sorry. But remember the passkey is only to maximise the points you get, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. You're contribution is exactly the same without it.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
The CPU is all that seems to work on my PC. I deleted the CPU and just tried my GPU and it just sat at downloading. I've tried pausing and unpausing and nothing seems to change. Once I added a CPU back, it started working, but only on the CPU. It has attempted 4 times so far on Unit Download.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The CPU is all that seems to work on my PC. I deleted the CPU and just tried my GPU and it just sat at downloading. I've tried pausing and unpausing and nothing seems to change. Once I added a CPU back, it started working, but only on the CPU. It has attempted 4 times so far on Unit Download.

What GPU are you using? The one I have that assumed would be compatible with even basic tasks actually ended up not being compatible at all.

Sign

Oct 31, 2017
Looks like it isn't just pulling new WU that is the issue, I can't even submit the results of my current completed WU.

Nov 8, 2017
Whenever I'm having trouble downloading a WU for the GPU, I just Switch to CPU only and have no issues. Things usually slow down in the middle of the night, and that's when I switch back to GPU folding.