• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I have a PC in home office, big TV with Xbox in living room. The rooms are next to each other.

I'm a recent returner to PC gaming trying it out with old work PC. So in office I play games like Civilization. If I want to play controller games in living room how do I do it so it's like using a console?

I guess for starters I would run an HDMI cable from PC to TV as they have multiple connections. So I could connect my two office monitors and TV at same time.

So after that I don't have a clue, ideally I would turn controller on say an Xbox one connected with the WiFi thing, computer would turn on, switch to TV HDMI then I would have a menu appear with all my games and I pick one just using the controller?

Just wondering what everyone else does.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
You have one PC that you want to connect to two different rooms, right?
I'm not entirely clear what you're expecting. The TV is just another monitor.

I have a crappy gaming Alienware Alpha R2 connected to my TV exclusively, and this is where I play almost all of my PC games. I only play games with a gamepad.

You can launch Steam Big Picture mode which makes it easy enough, but otherwise be prepared to use some sort of KB/mouse interface to navigate your content.

81mSHyHMoHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I use the Logitech K400 which is horrible to type on, and unpleasant to navigate with, but incredibly useful.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I have a coffee table with a wireless mouse and keyboard and just use that for launching games, browser, playing games without a controller interface, etc...

For what you want you can enable usb input to power on your pc, use the xbox controller dongle and press the Xbox button to turn on the pc, and then I guess have steam launch into it's big picture interface for a controller friendly launcher. I'd still recommend a wireless mouse and keyboard though for game launchers that require it or non controller friendly stuff like browsers and other game stores.

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
Set the PC to auto-logon (click start, go to User Accounts, enter credentials to login) then you don't need to mess with username/password/pin and go into settings on Steam and set Steam to run at startup and set it to run in Big Picture mode at start. It'll function just like a console from that point

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I have a separate laptop and do in home streaming with Moonlight. Everything is connected via Ethernet, and I use the Wake On LAN app on my phone to wake everything up, and a Bluetooth small keyboard/mouse combo to navigate. Then a wireless Xbox controller for games.

I think the problem you might run into is Bluetooth may not work well through walls. You might also need a long USB cable that goes along with your HDMI so that you can plug stuff into it. You could also get a remote desktop app for your phone and use your phone to control your PC

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought the Razer Turret for Xbox yesterday for couch PC gaming and so far i really like it. Before i would only play controller enabled games from the couch, but i was able to play SWTOR and PUBG very comfortably last night with it.

Edit: Just realized your PC is in a different room. Wireless from any dongle for a controller or keyboard could be an issue...

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I just bought the Razer Turret for Xbox yesterday for couch PC gaming and so far i really like it. Before i would only play controller enabled games from the couch, but i was able to play SWTOR and PUBG very comfortably last night with it.

Edit: Just realized your PC is in a different room. Wireless from any dongle for a controller or keyboard could be an issue...
I solved this with a long USB cord and attached the bluetooth receiver on the end under the TV. Now the distance from the DS4 to the receiver is same as it would be to a console. Since I had to draw the HDMI through the wall to the TV anyway, I drew the USB extension along with it. Works wonders.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, get a WiFi 6 router and a device that can do geforce streaming and steam link apps.

Oct 25, 2017
Set the PC to auto-logon (click start, go to User Accounts, enter credentials to login) then you don't need to mess with username/password/pin and go into settings on Steam and set Steam to run at startup and set it to run in Big Picture mode at start. It'll function just like a console from that point

As an alternative, and what I do, is have Steam turn on at PC launch but not in big picture mode. Pressing the Playstation or Xbox button on the respective controllers will boot Steam from desktop mode to big picture mode.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I have an hdmi and power cable in both my office and living room, and when I wanna play in different rooms, I just unplug my PC (which is a mini ITX) and move it from one room to the other lol. Takes all of 60 seconds and gives best picture quality/performance

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
You can do Steam in home streaming with an old computer or a Raspberry Pi. Also a Steam Link if you can find one.

That way your PC can stay in your office while enjoying couch gaming.

I use a Steam Controller with a Raspberry Pi. The Pi and my desktop are both connected to Ethernet and it works perfectly 99% of the time. Occasionally there will be artifacts but not enough to bother me.

I can play Gmod, Alan Wake, No Man's Sky, and Witcher 3 no problem.

Last edited:

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
As an alternative, and what I do, is have Steam turn on at PC launch but not in big picture mode. Pressing the Playstation or Xbox button on the respective controllers will boot Steam from desktop mode to big picture mode.
This is what I do. Then use controller to exit Steam Big Picture in the power menu when you are done. This lets the PC go back to sleep. I know there's a way with some PCs to use HDMI-CEC to control them, but it's been too finnicky for me.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
For my HTPC, I have it connected to my TV. I use a Logitech wireless keyboard for when I need access to it., the K400. Otherwise, I load up the PC with my games on whatever service (steam, Origin, EGS). I use PlayNite, which is configured to load one my PC starts. This lets me manage all my games, and even control the PC using the interface (Restart/Power off). So it's pretty much self-contained. I also feel that PlayNite is much better than Steam Big Picture mode.

The only time I use my keyboard outside of configuration is when I need to make a change in Steam (or another launcher) or to play a game. If I'm playing a shooter then I break out the foldable table. But this setup is mainly for controller gaming.