• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could have sworn I read a thread here awhile back that this signifies something.

I'm asking because I saw a FB post about someone in a diversity group and it listed their name and then right after "(who uses lower case)".

TIA!

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Only time I have seen someone spell in all lowercase was on some forms that required only lowercase spelling for your name in print. And that was a license so they could spell your name right.

OP
OP
CrankyJay

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you feel that people have the right to insist then that names be spelled with lowercase? Guess this could be a discussion unto itself.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
I could have sworn I read a thread here awhile back that this signifies something.

I'm asking because I saw a FB post about someone in a diversity group and it listed their name and then right after "(who uses lower case)".

TIA!

Is her name Tia? Because if so, I imagine she finds people skip over her name a lot because it's just three letters. Or wants to make it special? I dunno. I usually only see that with celebrities trying to make a brand name for themselves.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
bell hooks is the only person I know who does it and she says she does because "She decided not to capitalize her new name to place focus on her work rather than her name, on her ideas rather than her personality," which is a little ironic because now people ask her why her name is lowercase all the time.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I've always seen personal explanations rather than a single overarching meaning.

Here's danah boyd's explanation. She's a technology and media researcher at Microsoft. Also inspired by bell hooks.