• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always do anxiety and no more than ever. I never tried meditation but i did heard it was good. I just don't know where to start, what to watch, how long it take, is it boring? Is it like ''visualise a while ball and nothing else''

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Just look up a picture of Mike Pence trying to self teleport while Trump was getting bodied by Nancy Pelosi in the WH a thousand years ago

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Do not neglect the balls.

EDIT: Oops, meditate

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Probably the best option with minimal reading involved is insight timer. Great app that has guided meditation. Remove distractions, get comfortable (maybe leaning against a wall) and close your eyes.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Check Era's own meditation OT:
www.resetera.com

Meditation Era |OT| Learn How To Sit

Hello All! I searched around and didn't find a community posted here yet of members who meditate or are interested in learning about meditation. I envision this thread to be a positive one in which we can share our experiences, learn more about the different meditation practices, and ultimately...

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are a bunch of different types of meditation. I know how to do mindfulness meditation, but I never got into the practice of doing it.

The quick explanation of mindfulness meditation is that you're trying to clear your mind of any thinking at all. You can try to do this by focusing entirely on your breath at the point where it goes in and out of your nostrils. Don't breathe unnaturally. Try to breathe as normally as you can, but just focus on nothing but your breath. And of course, your brain will still fire at a thousand miles per hour, so when you find yourself lost in some thought, then acknowledge the thought, let it go, and try to focus on your breath again. It's important not to try to analyze or pass judgements on any of the thoughts you get lost in. Just acknowledge that it distracted you, then go back to trying to focus entirely on your breath again.

That's pretty much it. It's pretty easy. Do that for like 20 minutes a day, and supposedly it helps with shit.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I agree with the other suggestions. You also don't need to sit completely still either. If you need to adjust a bit that's perfectly fine.

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
I vouch for Headspace. The beginner pack is free and they have a handful free mediations for what's going on. I really like their animations that explain various concepts. It ain't cheap though.

I've been doing it for 2 years on and off and it's helped my anxiety and OCD tremendously. I couldn't sit still for 10 min at first but now I try to do 20 min a day.

My tip is start with 10 min. You really don't need to be hardcore about it. You don't have to be one of those people who go on a week long mediation retreat. I practice "mindfullness" for 3 min in my car or whenever during the day which still helps.

Also understand and you will struggle in the beginning and that's okay. There are lots of different schools and techniques out there but there is no right or wrong way to do it.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If your up for reading a book to learn I highly recommend Mindfulness in Plain English

That's one of the books I read to learn about mindfulness meditation because it was so highly rated on Amazon. While it is very good at teaching mindfulness meditation, one thing I should warn you about OP, if you decide to read it, is that the author says some kind of wackjob stuff around the end of the book. I remember he said something like mindfulness meditation was a good stepping stone to learn "more powerful forms of meditation that allow you to manipulate objects with ESP" or something stupid like that.

That's actually one warning about meditation, in general. There's a lot of wackjob religious/new age type stuff associated with the practice. Try to avoid all that stuff and don't let it detract you from learning meditation.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Try the Headspace, or Calm apps. Both have free lessons and are a great place to get started. I used Headspace for about 3 months until I built a habit and was able to do it without instruction.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Calm and Headspace are good apps. The latter is more effective at explaining the mind and its obstacles, helping showcase a more practical reason to meditate.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Sorry for the bump.

Ive been exploring meditation during the last couple weeks. I have ADHD and struggle with procrastination and anxiety.

Ive been using Insight timer on iOS and its been Amazing.

They have a 7 day intro to meditation course. You can also search for guided courses on whatever you need. Anxiety, stress, mindfulness etc.

I've tried meditation a couple times before and I always ended up like you OP. What am I doing? Breathing ok? Then my mind would wander and I would give up.

for whatever reason this time it's stuck and I've been trying really hard, like others have said you can't fail. Wandering thoughts are part of the process, you learn to guide yourself back to the moment. You do not give power to the thought but you aknowldge it and allow the thoughts to pass. The focus is right back to your meditation. This is super important because it trains your brain to think this way.

its incredible what it's done for my attention and mood.