• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, these FH4 fanboys are laying it a bit thick. Those cherry picked screenshots are pretty funny. Game looks amazing but the fact that DC is still beating games NOW at certain features is hilarious. A 4K patch for DC would have shut your shit real quick.

Why you so upset? OP wants to know about racing games available in 2019. People are answering.

If anyone's laying it on a bit thick, it's the person boasting about a hypothetical version of a game that doesn't and won't exist.

Oct 27, 2017
Driveclub is great, but the image quality begins to suffer at about 95 mph, and playability begins to suffer at about 175 mph, with the image not quite keeping up. Newer games are smoother at higher speeds. Driveclub still has the best rain-on-windshield-wiping-away effect, though

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
What's impressive about DRIVECLUB is how old it is, not to mention that Evo wasn't remotely as big as Playground coupled with T10 is now. A DRIVECLUB 2 would've looked bonkers with a more refined engine and optimization. Just alone 16xAF and better AA would have done wonders. Now we'll never know, because of one of Sony's WORST MISTAKES IN PLAYSTATION HISTORY!

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I installed Forza Horizon 4 on my PC yesterday after signing up for Game Pass and I had the exact same thought even though I was playing it mostly maxed out at 1440p and around 90 fps. I think it's the lighting that really makes Driveclub look so special.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Plays and looks so good. Perfect combination of arcade and sim. I was a huge fan of GT but after 4 they still forced me to get my license and the navigation trough the game... oh my god.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I agree with OP. DC just has that great coherent look. Every other game tries too hard to have one super realistic component while another aspects is lacking and that creates a very jarring package. They either have super realistic backgrounds while not completely nailing the car model / lighting or vice versa.

I never got that feeling from DC.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, these FH4 fanboys are laying it a bit thick. Those cherry picked screenshots are pretty funny. Game looks amazing but the fact that DC is still beating games NOW at certain features is hilarious. A 4K patch for DC would have shut your shit real quick.

Your post is probably the only post in this thread "laying it a bit thick." You sound upset, relax, cool down, and then come back into the thread.

What's impressive about DRIVECLUB is how old it is, not to mention that Evo wasn't remotely as big as Playground coupled with T10 is now. A DRIVECLUB 2 would've looked bonkers with a more refined engine and optimization. Just alone 16xAF and better AA would have done wonders. Now we'll never know, because of one of Sony's WORST MISTAKES IN PLAYSTATION HISTORY!

Idk about worst mistake. Evolution made a fantastic game, and has made fantastic games in the past. But it was delayed multiple times, missed targets, and needed some major patches to fix launch issues.

That's not good.

With that said I wish Sony gave them another chance.

Driveclub's engine is faaaaantastic. I need a Motorstorm with this engine!

I wanna see a Motorstorm like this one someday:

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Idk about worst mistake. Evolution made a fantastic game, and has made fantastic games in the past. But it was delayed multiple times, missed targets, and needed some major patches to fix launch issues.

That's not good.

With that said I wish Sony gave them another chance.

Driveclub's engine is faaaaantastic. I need a Motorstorm with this engine!

I wanna see a Motorstorm like this one someday:

I always thought the Motorstorm series was looking so good! Especially 1 and 2. I'm afraid to boot up my PS3 to give them a new look because I know they'll probably don't look as good now than a few years ago. I remember the terrain deformation effects to be incredible.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ok I had seen Forza Horizon 4 before but hadn't played it on my X, it's quite gorgeous so I made these GIFs.

5QgJ2VG.gif

aPNi2ds.gif

0avGMTx.gif

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the Motorstorm series was looking so good! Especially 1 and 2. I'm afraid to boot up my PS3 to give them a new look because I know they'll probably don't look as good now than a few years ago. I remember the terrain deformation effects to be incredible.

Haha yea Motorstorm looks gorgeous.

Evolution basically joined Codemasters after and developed a game somewhat similar to Motorostorm called OnRush, but I didn't like the "racing" style/gameplay of it. Game looked beautiful tho. I wish Sony gave them another chance to make a Motorstorm sequel/reboot.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Lol *people posting 4K screenshots vs. 1080P game*. "Relax", "You sound upset", "30 fps" or "hypothetical game". The OP clearly states its still the best looking in 2019. I mean who's reading who wrong? I'm perfectly fine and am agreeing with others as well as my subjective opinion including OP's. Why are you folks getting insecure? I'm not upset, I just laughed reading the whole thread with all the FH4 gifs and pics when it's completely better in IQ and AA vs. that cheery picked gimped image of the Diablo. I believe I also have a beast rig with 1080Ti Sli's that I play the game on (FH3 and 4). I also have Apex.

Fact: DC is still the best racer with an amazing sense of speed that does weather like no other.
Fact: Art Direction for me is more important than "technicality". DC does it better for realism. Cars in FH look plastic but the environments are gorgeous and is OW. GTS is king.
Fact: The Hype squad for FH4 is out in droves and it's pretty embarassing even though it is "better" in many things and you don't have to convince me otherwise seeing it came out last year.

People will like what they like.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's 30fps, which barely qualifies it as a game. It's more of a PowerPoint about cars.
Wonderful takes. This is the problem with y'all, 1080p/30 automatically means it's a bad game.

So weird.

Lol *people posting 4K screenshots vs. 1080P game*. "Relax", "You sound upset", "30 fps" or "hypothetical game". The OP clearly states its still the best looking in 2019. I mean who's reading who wrong? I'm perfectly fine and am agreeing with others as well as my subjective opinion including OP's. Why are you folks getting insecure? I'm not upset, I just laughed reading the whole thread with all the FH4 gifs and pics when it's completely better in IQ and AA vs. that cheery picked gimped image of the Diablo. I believe I also have a beast rig with 1080Ti Sli's that I play the game on (FH3 and 4). I also have Apex.

Fact: DC is still the best racer with an amazing sense of speed that does weather like no other.
Fact: Art Direction for me is more important than "technicality". DC does it better for realism. Cars in FH look plastic but the environments are gorgeous and is OW. GTS is king.
Fact: The Hype fansquad for FH4 is out in droves and it's pretty embarassing even though it is "better" in some things and you don't have to convince me otherwise.

People will like what they like.

Thank you. I mean, fuck gameplay, right?? So many insecure people here measuring their e-penis and defending their waifus lol. No discussions can be done anymore.

Edit: I will add: NO ONE HERE has played Driveclub, Forza, GTS, NFS, OnRush, AND Project Cars. No one. Everyone is measuring the fucking pixels to say "this game is good", or "this game sucks". I bet most people here hating DRIVECLUB haven't even played the fucking game. They just want to bitch about how much they love their favorite racing game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10428

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DriveClub really does have great weather effects. But it's not the best looking racing game and not a very fun one to play either imo.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Lol. I don't think this is a bet you want to make.

This is seriously important. A lot of people come here defending something out of justification for their purchase without trying the other for example I havent played AC or Dirt Rally as of yet.

Last edited:

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
There are people that think talking about "looking good" means talking about fps. Bizarre.
Just to makes clear, i also think DC is still the best looking driving game this gen

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it's not so it shouldn't be too hard.

There are people that think talking about "looking good" means talking about fps. Bizarre.

It's not. Image Quality is a big part of "looking good". If 30 fps smears the shit out of every object on screen at every movement than that definitely affects how I feel a game looks.

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Driveclub is one of those games that looks amazing in gifs, much less so in person. Judging by these gifs you'd say PGR4 is a top of the line current Gen title:

9xvhzo4q694z.gif

pgr43dark8dxul0reo.gif

I prefer Forza Horizon 4, for its graphics and sense of scale. In general I prefer the sense of scale combined with graphics of the horizon series. This shit (FH3) is awesome:

NegativeSelfassuredCaudata.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i know OP said "still" but it's weird how hard some of you are comparing a game who probably stop getting worked on in 2015 to a game in a series that got released 5 months ago

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
This is seriously important. A lot of people come here defending something out of justification for their purchase without trying the other for example I havent played AC or Dirt Rally as of yet.

Sure, but in this case I have played each and every game he listed.

i know OP said "still" but it's weird how hard some of you are comparing a game who probably stop getting worked on in 2015 to a game in a series that got released 5 months ago

Well it's not weird because OP said "still".

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Wonderful takes. This is the problem with y'all, 1080p/30 automatically means it's a bad game.

So weird.

Thank you. I mean, fuck gameplay, right?? So many insecure people here measuring their e-penis and defending their waifus lol. No discussions can be done anymore.

Edit: I will add: NO ONE HERE has played Driveclub, Forza, GTS, NFS, OnRush, AND Project Cars. No one. Everyone is measuring the fucking pixels to say "this game is good", or "this game sucks". I bet most people here hating DRIVECLUB haven't even played the fucking game. They just want to bitch about how much they love their favorite racing game.

NO ONE? I've played all of them except for NFS Payback. I'm sure there're people here who played all of them. These are the most popular racing games this gen(except for OnRush), if you like racing games, you'll probably tried them all at some point.

Also 30 fps gameplay in a racing game is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it really is ridiculous how good Driveclub looks (and how good of an realistic-arcade racer it is). A remaster on PS5 would melt brains.

Also people dismissing 30 FPS games as good looking I guess are forgetting that FH used to be 30 FPS, and even FH4 is 30 FPS on base Xbone and 30 FPS in Quality mode on the XBX and 60 FPS at only 1080p?

This is how it looks at 60 FPS ingame:
Performance_000.jpg
Performance_002.jpg

Not so great imo. You have to wonder how good could Driveclub look on a Pro, not to mention an XBX.

Last edited:

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
It looks nice but car handling is shallow crap. It's alot less realistic than Forza and GT but at the same time slightly too realistic to be a fun arcade racer. It falls in a weird middle ground that's neither here nor there and just isn't satisfying or fun at all.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's a gem. In spots it looks photo real in a way that only GTS does (again, only in spots). I think Forza has the best IQ of all the racing games, but once the storms come in during a DC race things even out. The weather system in that game is fucking insane.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'd argue WipEout Omega is the best looking console racer this gen. Great art style, brilliant sense of speed, native 4k and 60fps on Pro.

Forza Horizon 4 is probably better overall considering it's also open world and has the weather and seasons.

Driveclub was damn impressive for its time though, still holds up great.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's a gem. In spots it looks photo real in a way that only GTS does (again, only in spots). I think Forza has the best IQ of all the racing games, but once the storms come in during a DC race things even out. The weather system in that game is fucking insane.

Actually Horizon 4 has pretty mediocre IQ as well. The shadow quality is terrible even on max settings on PC and it has some of the most severe aliasing I've ever seen in a game.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Actually Horizon 4 has pretty mediocre IQ as well. The shadow quality is terrible even on max settings on PC and it has some of the most severe aliasing I've ever seen in a game.

You do remember that we are comparing Forza Horizon 4 to Drive Club, right? You think the aliasing in Forza Horizon 4 is worse than Drive Club? There has to be something wrong with your PC. Even the Xbox version uses 4x MSAA.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Any racing game in the last decade is gonna look that good if you squash them down into a gif that size.

Driveclub is one of those games that looks amazing in gifs, much less so in person. Judging by these gifs you'd say PGR4 is a top of the line current Gen title:

9xvhzo4q694z.gif

pgr43dark8dxul0reo.gif
Yep.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
You do remember that we are comparing Forza Horizon 4 to Drive Club, right? You think the aliasing in Forza Horizon 4 is worse than Drive Club? There has to be something wrong with your PC. Even the Xbox version uses 4x MSAA.

That post said all racing games for starters, and just in general I wouldn't class Horizon 4 as a good with great IQ. I play on PC at 1080p with 8xMSAA plus FXAA and it still has aliasing galore. Even downsampling from 4K still has pretty clear aliasing. I don't even think it's possible to do anything about the jaggy shadows, and the trees look terrible unless you force transparency AA on PC which isn't even a thing on consoles.

PcPlasticFuzz

Nov 4, 2017
I agree with the OP. I was playing Driveclub just the other day on my 65' LGB7. I know it's only 1080p but the IQ is fine to my old eyes and graphically the game has yet to be beaten this gen. I've got all systems and played all the driving games out there. The one that comes closest ironically is OnRush.

Great post, thanks OP.