• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing touches Driveclub visually, nothing!

giphy.gif

[/QUOTE]
Ive been gaming off and on since 1983. I have never seen a more beautiful game ever in my life.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's still by far the best and it's not even close. If you told me it was a PS5 game I would believe you.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
In some ways it is, and it's impressive what these guys achieved in the early PS4 days, with a limited budget (comparatively) on the first (only) installment, nailing so many aspects other studios still struggle with after several iterations and years of refinements.

Shame that iq really kills a lot of its potential. And shame these guys were not allowed to work on a PS4Pro update/sequel/anything.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have to play Drive Club again, but it's definitely at the top from what I've played.

Forza Horizon 4 is very bright, clean, and beautiful looking...but it doesn't look real.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It would be if it got a Pro patch. But with this IQ? Nah.
Right. You can't pretend Forza Horizon 4 on Xbox One X doesn't exist just because Drive Club tragically never got a Pro version. That game in 4K HDR is gob smackingly beautiful in the right display. Same goes for GT Sport on a Pro and 4K HDR display.

Yes HAD drive club got a pro patch with HDR I'm sure it would have been eye melting.

But it didn't.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Nah...Horizon 4 looks better even in terms of weather effects. Drive luv does have a good rain shader though.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a DRIVECLUB stan but . . . I mean Forza Horizon 4 looks fucking stunning, too. I have never played it though. But fuck is that a beautiful game.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Come on now, I know it looked great at launch but it is in no way still the best looking driving game. FH3 was already beating it and FH4 is in another league.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
FH4 is a much better looking game.

I found myself underwhelmed at DC's visuals based on the hype here.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Never touched any of those games, only going by pretty screenshots, okayish yt vids and missleading gifs (PGR4 city gif still looks awesome and that was a 360 game)... I think FH4 looks better!

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If driveclub didn't exist and someone has posted these gifs as ps5 material. Honestly I would say that next gen will be awesome.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
To be fair, FH4 on the OG looks a bit bland and Driveclub wins easily but FH4 on the X really seals the jump in quality.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
i wonder if the same people posting these photo mode horizon 4 shots which are absolutely not representative of general in game quality are the same people complaining about driveclub gifs. pot:kettle

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
I don't get what's so great about forza's graphics. It still looks so gamey in motion to me. DC still looks gorgeous in motion.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The only bad thing about Driveclub is IQ(jaggies). With a pro patch would easily be the best game visually. It is already imo the best in this aspect but I understand why some people find GTS and Forza better.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
The volumetric clouds and scale in Driveclub are still unmatched in a driving game. But I think overall it's still the most realistic driving game compared to Forza and GT Sport.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never knew photomode altered the visuals of Forza, is this true on PC? Proof?

It's adds post processing and improved lighting/shadows, and there's also the glamour angles etc that naturally make things look better. In some cases the differences between gameplay and photo mode visuals are negligible, in others they're a bit more noticeable, but in all cases, gameplay shots are above all going to be most indicative of actual graphical quality.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Under certain conditions Driveclub is indeed unbeatable, but as an overall package I think GT Sport and Horizon 4 take the cake. Driveclub can look pretty ugly at times.

But anything at dusk, night, and rain holycrap, I don't think anyone will be able to beat it.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Under certain situations ALL games can be made to look awesome, and by the same token can be made to look ..shite. Driveclub has always been a favourite of mine, but I'm a GT nut, always have been and IMO GT Sport tops Driveclub in the main. FH4 in the main tops Driveclub.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I own GT Sport on PS4 Pro and FH4 on Xbox One X...both absolutely blow Drive Club out of the water.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's elements of Driveclub that haven't been topped yet, as most people have said, in weather effects and lighting (I would put some of the fog effects and stuff like that under here too). The cars look (close to) just as good as the cars in games that came out years later, though I imagine there are less cars in Driveclub vs. somehing like Forza Horizon. DC suffers mostly in image quality, the aliasing looks pretty bad in spots for sure, and of course it runs in 30 FPS.

Obviously the gifs and screenshots being used are pretty worthless for comparison, and the games even have pretty different visual styles so I find the "I think this looks better!" comparisons pretty pointless because you're not really having a discussion about anything, you're just looking at poor metrics for determining visuals and claiming which you prefer without backing it up with any clear reasoning. I think a lot of the background stuff in both Forza and GT looks pretty bad compared to what they did in Driveclub, but in Forza Horizons case it is obviously because it is open world, which makes a big difference. They are also 60FPS, so they probably compromised on that front.

In short, if you really want to compare I'm sure there's Digital Foundry stuff you can pull up and discuss, but the bottom line is that these games had different priorities, especially when you compare open world and traditional racers. What I think is the most interesting to discuss is what Driveclub did right to create certain visual aesthetics that still excites people to this day, despite its shortcomings in other visual areas and despite being from 2014 and never getting a "Pro" upgrade. It's a shame they dissolved the studio, would've loved to see their visual proficiency in different games.

HighResTomato

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol people really need to stop posting those rain drop gifs. Shit doesn't look like that in full resolution, was so excited to try DC when I had my launch PS4 pro.

Image quality is shit and any one still peddling those old gifs, what is you doing?

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
No, that is utter bullshit.

Here is accurate representation of how Driveclub looks when I myself played it and recorded the videos.

Those gifs are accurate. Sure, AA could be better, but the aliasing is mostly visible when stationary. When driving, TAA is applied that makes the IQ look good enough.

Looking at the videos, this game would have been awesome in HDR...

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Ya'll are fuckin crazy wtf. The fps stuff gets really fuckin stupid sometimes
As has been discussed a number of times in past threads, there are certain genre of games that should not be 30fps in modern consoles. Racing games are one of those genres. It looks nice in screen shots and gifs, but it is still a 30fps racing game.

Consider fighting games. If this thread was made about a 30fps fighter, it would get the same responses. No one will take a 30fps fighter seriously.
When developers choose 30fps in a racing game, it is obvious they are catering to the graphics crowed.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
1080p/30fps limited with bad IQ to boot, nah. Forza Horizon 4 and GT Sport both look better.

Exactly. Also, DC doesn't look nearly as impressive in full sunny day weather.

I never knew photomode altered the visuals of Forza, is this true on PC? Proof?

this has been a thing since the end of time. GT does it as well.

Forza Horizon 4.. easily imo.
43871348975_3bf9660c7f_o.png

One thing I still don't like about Forza is how plasticy the cars look sometimes. This McClaren is good example of what I'm talking about. It doesn't look quite right.

I feel like Driveclub may actually have Forza beat in this regard, but I'd have to see more examples to decide. GT definitely blows Forza away with its car models though.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No, that is utter bullshit.

Here is accurate representation of how Driveclub looks when I myself played it and recorded the videos.

Those gifs are accurate. Sure, AA could be better, but the aliasing is mostly visible when stationary. When driving, TAA is applied that makes the IQ look good enough.

but muh cherry picked screenshot yo

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
User Warned - Console Warring
Lol, these FH4 fanboys are laying it a bit thick. Those cherry picked screenshots are pretty funny. Game looks amazing but the fact that DC is still beating games NOW at certain features is hilarious. A 4K patch for DC would have shut your shit real quick.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Lol, these FH4 fanboys are laying it a bit thick. Those cherry picked screenshots are pretty funny. Game looks amazing but the fact that DC is still beating games NOW at certain features is hilarious. A 4K patch for DC would have shut your shit real quick.

What other 30fps closed track racers were made outside of Driveclub? Forza mainline series is gorgeous at 60fps.