• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Dying Light and get the pack with the expansion The Following. It was AWESOME to play co-op with a friend.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Unravel is pretty damn good and challenging cause you have to work together.

A Way Out is amazing.

Resident E- 5&6

Ghost of Tsushima dlc

Division 2

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could get a musou game if you're down for those, since IIRC most if not all ps4 musous are CO-op/split screen too. Screen is Warriors Orochi 3 ultimate...which cant be done in a day or two lol.
maxresdefault.jpg

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Divinity: Original Sin 2.

It took literal years for a friend to convince me to start it but I'm glad I was won over. It's a big juicy time sink, you can both control two party members and get to mix your builds in a way that really play off each other. There's lots to talk about in game while it moves at a pace that also lets you just chat about whatever, and there's a lot of great writing and a surprising amount of comedy in there (and some slapstick in combat). It's one of the best coop games and I never would've expected it from a massive CRPG.

Edit: I also endorse the EDF5 recommendations, it's such a great coop mood lifter and my favorite game in the series.

Dec 23, 2017
Do y'all know if they toned down the horrible frame drops and aggressive screen shake in recent installments? The last EDF games I played were really jittery AND screen-shakey and they made my migraines flare up like crazy, haha.

Hmm, good question...I know the PS3 Earth Defense Force games were notorious for bad frame rate/slow downs.

I played EDF 4.1 on a PS4 Pro, it played great with rarely any slow downs but since your friend has a base PS4, I don't know if it'll have the same performance.

Back to EDF 5, I think it'll play well on a base PS4 but I'd google around to make sure.

Oct 29, 2017
Do y'all know if they toned down the horrible frame drops and aggressive screen shake in recent installments? The last EDF games I played were really jittery AND screen-shakey and they made my migraines flare up like crazy, haha.
I remember EDF 5 running pretty well on a ps4 pro. There's also an option to reduce and completely turn off the screenshake iirc.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Others have mentioned them, but I'd give a +1 to the We Were Here games and Deep Rock Galactic. If you both have PCs Raft and UnRailed are also very good, though more in a casual sense.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
If you both like Resident Evil 4, play 5. I played it with my brother for the first time this year. It is probably my favourite co-op experience ever. It's RE4 but with co-op, at least technically.

P.S. Was a little laggy for me at first, so we both ended up using a wired connection and it was flawless.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
You could get a musou game if you're down for those, since IIRC most if not all ps4 musous are CO-op/split screen too. Screen is Warriors Orochi 3 ultimate...which cant be done in a day or two lol.
maxresdefault.jpg
I did not realize these were online.

My friends were so disappointed that Age of Calamity and Pirate Warriors 3 didn't have any online co-op. I'll have to explore more Musou games.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Remnant from the Ashes is one of the most fun co-op games that came out last gen. Itd give you hours and hours of gaming.

Borderland 3 is always a safe bet.

Warhammer Vermintide 2 is a Left 4 Dead inspired game with a heavy focus on melee. It's fantastic.

Dying Light is a blast in co-op and one of the best zombie games ever.

Destiny 2 is always a F2P option to try before investing in.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Another one for EDF.

Also don't forget Saints Row 3 Remastered and 4. Both are excellent on PS4 and co-op all the way through. Saints 4 can even LAN.

Last edited:

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
I wanna say Smite, but if he's not into MMOs, then I don't think he would be too fond of MOBAs. So, I guess Borderlands 3. It's decently fun. Y'all could always play a fighting game. Just let him win if you have to.

Mar 31, 2018
Cookie and Cream if we were still in the PS2 era

... We need a new Cookie and Cream but online :(

I was looking for some Co-op games as well so thanks for the suggestions in this thread!

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
No joke, the best co-op experience I had was with Resident Evil 5.

The other game I would recommend is Helldivers, though I feel that's more like a party game than a co-op game but it's still mad fun.

Spanic

Oct 31, 2017
US
If you like sports than play fifa, madden, or nhl in co op mode. You can also learn to play duo's on rocket league (free to play). These games are challenging at first but coming up with strategies and executing them successfully vs AI or other online opponents is very rewarding.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I know you're a Nioh fan. Why not Nioh 2, maybe make a new character/build for a coop-oriented playthrough?

Ghost of Tsushima Legends also has a solid coop mode.

Streets of Rage 4 is also good, but I hear the online is bad, and it will probably be beaten quickly.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Hey, folks. One of my friends has been really down in the dumps lately (even compared to me, which is saying something) and I've been trying to find ways to cheer him up. We've eventually settled on trying to find a co-op game we can play together. I've been trying to wrack my brain for a good example of a substantial online co-op game (aka not something that can be torn through in a sitting or two) but I'm just coming up short.

My first idea was to pitch Dead Rising 2: OTR, because there are few things more cathartic than stupid zombie action, but we already played that three years ago and he doesn't want to revisit it. He also did not seem super enthusiastic when I suggested Diablo 3, which is my other go-to "talk on voice chat while blowing stuff up" kind of game.

Can y'all help me find something that might be fun enough to bring my friend out of the doldrums? He only has a PS4 so that pretty much limits our options.
Remnant From The Ashes, if you like Action RPGs with an emphasis on long-range/guns, is co-op-friendly. You can drop into a friend's game and play it all the way through, even if you die.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Resident Evil 5 is my Go to Co-Op Game but you played that probably already.
Have you tried Remnant from the Ashes? That was surprisingly fun when i played it with a buddy of mine

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
The Sniper Elite games, they have very flexible difficulty settings and can be customized to your liking. 2 is a bit basic, but 3 and 4 are great fun with a buddy.

Dying Light is a bit frustrating at first, but tons of fun once you unlock some powers. Works great in coop as well.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I still think the Gears of War series is some of the most fun co-op around, so that would be my suggestion.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
What are some good games for a larger group of friends, talking 8 or more?
Are there any websites with games like werewolve esque social deduction games?
Open to any genre to be honest but finding online free versions of such games is a minefield.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I'm currently enjoying Borderlands 3 and Sackboy with my gf, I'm sure he'd like them too.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yup. I tried that. Love Diablo 3, and used to play it all the time with my roommate, but my friend doesn't. Woof.
Ah, that is too bad, me and my friend are actually also having some trouble finding some good local co-op games besides just playing gears and diablo for the bajillionth time. We do like playing single player horror games together where we pass the controller when it gets too intense for either of us, hah.

OP
OP
PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, that is too bad, me and my friend are actually also having some trouble finding some good local co-op games besides just playing gears and diablo for the bajillionth time. We do like playing single player horror games together where we pass the controller when it gets too intense for either of us, hah.

D3 is like one of those perfect "just play it on autopilot while talking about random shit" games, yeah. It's great for that.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Deep Rock Galactic is pretty good for this kind of thing, it has slow moments punctuated by swarms so you can still easily chat.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Hey, folks. One of my friends has been really down in the dumps lately (even compared to me, which is saying something) and I've been trying to find ways to cheer him up. We've eventually settled on trying to find a co-op game we can play together. I've been trying to wrack my brain for a good example of a substantial online co-op game (aka not something that can be torn through in a sitting or two) but I'm just coming up short.

My first idea was to pitch Dead Rising 2: OTR, because there are few things more cathartic than stupid zombie action, but we already played that three years ago and he doesn't want to revisit it. He also did not seem super enthusiastic when I suggested Diablo 3, which is my other go-to "talk on voice chat while blowing stuff up" kind of game.

Can y'all help me find something that might be fun enough to bring my friend out of the doldrums? He only has a PS4 so that pretty much limits our options.
Have you tried Destiny? That to me is quintessential "shoot the shit" game.

Division 2 is also great and requires more coordination which can be more fun.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
The last 2 Ghost Recon games are a lot of fun in coop. I beat both with a friend and we both really enjoyed the experience.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I'm actually trying to get a friend to pick Bloodborne back up for some co-op to screw around with the "cummmfpk" dungeon and power level just for the hell of it.

If that's neither of your cup of tea, I also suggest Sackboy like others here. My wife and I have been having a blast with it.