• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Time ~9:3O pm

Temp: ~50 degrees Fahrenheit.

I was walking to the Chevron to buy an Orange Mango Body Armor and a snack. The streets were empty; silent. No cars. No pedestrians. The air was calm and still.

My head was lowered slightly in thought when out of nowhere I felt a sudden and rough scraping against my scalp. I jerked my head up, surprised and confused, and what I saw was a raptor of some sort flying off with my hat. Since there was no wind, some of my hair just sort of settled flatly over one eye, having been pulled forward by whatever perfidious prowler had just absconded with my goddamn hat. I brushed it away to watch the raptor disappear into the branches of some trees across the street.

I, sans-hat and with Very Bad Hair, proceeded to buy my delicious drink and a beef jerky/Corn Nuts combo (highly recommended, btw) and made my way back home, this time on the side of the street the raptor had flown to after rudely stealing my Bad Hair concealment accessory. I thought maybe it might have dropped it because useless.

Nothing. NOTHING. I felt powerless before the temerity and tenacity of our airborne, opportunistic neighbors. That said, it was an AWESOME way to lose a hat. No regrets. And I have Corn Nuts, so fuck that bird.

So was this an owl? I mean, 9:30pm. What other raptors are active at that time? Could it be another kind of raptor? (I know it was a raptor because it was really big with a large wingspan, and I literally felt heavy talons on my skull.)

This begs the question: WHY MY HAT?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Seagull. Gonna dump in it while looking like a dork.

It's a surprisingly high biological priority for them.

OP
OP
Speely

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all. It wasn't a gull-sized bird. This motherfucker had HEFT, and I saw big-ass raptor wings with big feathers as it flew off.

Had to be an owl, right?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
See if you can pick the suspect out of this lineup:

btHnU4BhULarUvqTziUolsH81WOI690B23OlFPC4wKU.jpg

af60c56a3de931173015d4272bd13ee4.jpg

owl-wearing-fancy-hat-classy-1414446274d.jpg

sIsllaz.jpg

vxhra9O.jpg

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all. It wasn't a gull-sized bird. This motherfucker had HEFT, and I saw big-ass raptor wings with big feathers as it flew off.

Had to be an owl, right?

That's my guess, yeah. Owl. As to why...people like to think animal behavior is just pre-programmed and predictable. But they're individuals and they do crazy individualistic stuff just like any person. Maybe it thought your hat looked like something to eat, but it could just as easily been screwing around.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My brother used to work nights at a rail yard, and he said that owls liked to fuck with people like that. It's a game for them.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what stole your hat, but I fully support the Orange Mango Body Armor purchase. Those things are delicious.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What is the difference between a trucker hat and a baseball cap? Is it the ventilation 'net' on the back side?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
definitely a falcon someone trained specifically to steal hats. rogue falconers (also the name of my band) are the bane of all hat fanciers.