• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
So I currently have an old Apple Time Capsule that is almost 10 years old and I feel like it isn't cutting it anymore.

I'd love to get the latest and best, but my budget is very limited right now, but I do need a new router.

So I narrowed it down to a TP-Link AC1900 (Archer A9). This one:

And I was happy with my choice, but then I came across the TP-Link AX1500 (Archer A10), which is almost the exact same price and it's WiFi 6:

The one thing I do lose with the AX1500 is the USB port, but everything else sounds like an upgrade.

Anyone have experience with either or both of these modems?

Or do you recommend something else in the same price range?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How big is your home? And unless you have devices that already use Wi-Fi 6, that feature won't be useful right away.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
If the newer model is an upgrade in most categories, I'd go with it. The USB port isn't really that useful for most people.

I haven't used it, so who knows. I'm sure you can find some decent youtube reviews out there.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Your budget is limited, so I'm assuming you'll want this to last for a while. So get the AX, as it'll be more futureproof.

OP
OP
WhySoDevious

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
How big is your home? And unless you have devices that already use Wi-Fi 6, that feature won't be useful right away.
Fairly big house, cement walls.

The Time Capsule I have right now covers the inside of the house fairly well. Doesn't reach the backyard, but it's not really necessary.

I imagine these two have even better coverage than a 10-year-old router.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have large spaces and lots of devices you may want to consider a mesh setup. I lived obliviously for the better part of a decade with a single router — and the switch to mesh was like scales falling from my eyes on speed, consistency and management.

I got a tplink deco (previous model) three pack for a huge discount on Amazon - And it's been a game changer- we have century link fios that we were unknowingly throttling with our shitty old setup. I use the wired option for the biggest bandwidth hog on each floor - console, dvr and desktop pc respectively- and use the old netgear router as a wired hub/router for secondary devices at the modem.

It cost about $150.

I'm told WiFi 6 can be a big deal too.