• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Hey all,

I will be teaching a HS Video Game Design class (for the first time) this Fall at a small private school. I will have complete reign over what this class gets to be, and gets to do. In the previous year the class mostly focused on creating little projects in Scratch and teaching some coding. I'd personally like to see this class be more about Game Design principles and concepts, similar to the Mark Brown Game Makers Toolkit video series we see on YouTube.

Does anyone have any pointers/resources/curriculum that they recommend? I'm unsure what platform to use, but I'd like to stress having kids learn actual design concepts, ideas, principles, and implementation, over just learning raw coding.

I honestly do not know a lot about game design and what platform that I should be using. I know itch.io has a lot of steam right now, is using their dev toolkit https://itch.io/tools a good place to start?

I'd like by the end of the course to have students create a little something to show off. I'd be happy even using a game editor like Super Mario Maker and just use that to teach concepts and level design. So something along those lines where students are using existing tools rather than learning coding from scratch.

Any advice and recommendations would be appreicated! Especially from devs here on the site!

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I'm no help, but I just want to say how fucking cool it is that that course is being offered in high school. Hats off to you and good luck.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
I have to ask, if you say you do not know alot about game design and are asking these questions that you are asking how did you get a spot teaching game design?

RiamuFG

Director at Chuhai Labs
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kyoto, Japan
How did this even come around if you don't know anything about game design? haha.

There are some great books out there such as Steve Swink's Game Feel and A Theory of Fun for Game Design by Raph Koster.

There's tutorials out there for game design and game engines from people like Tom Francis, Derek Yu, Rami Ismali and other really inspirational creators.

You already are off to a good start if you don't mind what the students use (Mario Maker editor) to show their design prowess. Try to get them to focus on core principles of design and less on what the actual games are or what they look like.

Good luck!

OP
OP
TYRANITARR

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
How did this even come around if you don't know anything about game design? haha.

There are some great books out there such as Steve Swink's Game Feel and A Theory of Fun for Game Design by Raph Koster.

There's tutorials out there for game design and game engines from people like Tom Francis, Derek Yu, Rami Ismali and other really inspirational creators.

You already are off to a good start if you don't mind what the students use (Mario Maker editor) to show their design prowess. Try to get them to focus on core principles of design and less on what the actual games are or what they look like.

Good luck!

Hey fair question. It's the same way in which teachers get put on coaching JV Volleyball and Freshman Soccer when they get a job at a school. "Hey the person doing this last year left, can you fill out this missing elective spot?"

I was hired to be a math teacher and they just needed someone to fill in this ONE class. And I am EXCITED to be doing it! I feel like its going to be such an amazing experience to get to learn how to teach this class, and see what these kids are capable of doing. So yeah, I'm super pumped and excited about it, and I want to do a great job!

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
I actually took video game design courses during high school. I know you said that you want to focus less on raw code, but I actually kinda wish we learned more of that stuff. For me personally, I was already super invested in video games, so I already knew a lot about things like design principles.

Probably the best thing I remember was during one of my classes, we were tasked with creating a game in Unity for a capstone at the end of the year. Each person on the team had different jobs and responsibilities. My teacher would walk us through why he thought certain design choices could perhaps use some work and showed us how to create a design document. It was great for experience and it gave us students something nice to put on our resumes.

Feb 16, 2018
video game design is tough because 90% of the course will have to be about learning how to use some engine rather than actual design

see if you can try to make it about general game design so that they can just build a board game or a card game

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Look online, tons of resources people and fellow teachers post. I had to teach Science and didnt know shit until I found some good resources online and started crunching

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I applaud your ambition, but if this class is starting in ~1 month, that does not seem like enough time to come up with a decent curriculum from scratch, even if you already had a really concrete idea about what you wanted to do.

If I were in your position, I would probably teach the course the first time based on the prior materials with some tweaks, and use that to think about how you would change it next time.

OP
OP
TYRANITARR

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
video game design is tough because 90% of the course will have to be about learning how to use some engine rather than actual design

see if you can try to make it about general game design so that they can just build a board game or a card game

Yeah, I talked to the principal today and agreed the class should focus more on design and raw coding.

I applaud your ambition, but if this class is starting in ~1 month, that does not seem like enough time to come up with a decent curriculum from scratch, even if you already had a really concrete idea about what you wanted to do.

If I were in your position, I would probably teach the course the first time based on the prior materials with some tweaks, and use that to think about how you would change it next time.

Agreed. But the prior teacher used a mash-up of whatever of her own ideas, and left the school. So I really have nothing. I know there are some courses that we can probably follow on something like: https://www.edx.org/course?search_query=video+game

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Its better to just focus primarily on how to use whatever engine and have students make basic projects. The game design part should really only be a basic outline when the students will more than likely be struggling with code and GUIs more than anything else.

If the class had a prerequisite that already covered basic programming or using a game engine then it would be fine to focus on design.

RiamuFG

Director at Chuhai Labs
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kyoto, Japan
Hey fair question. It's the same way in which teachers get put on coaching JV Volleyball and Freshman Soccer when they get a job at a school. "Hey the person doing this last year left, can you fill out this missing elective spot?"

I was hired to be a math teacher and they just needed someone to fill in this ONE class. And I am EXCITED to be doing it! I feel like its going to be such an amazing experience to get to learn how to teach this class, and see what these kids are capable of doing. So yeah, I'm super pumped and excited about it, and I want to do a great job!

Ahh yes, the same thing happens here in Japan to High School teachers with club sports.

Well, as I mentioned there's lots of great resources out there. Mark's stuff is always a good start!

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I suggest using a constrained tool like Mega Maker instead of a full on game making platform. There would be too much technical low level details to worry about even in something like game maker, but mega maker is basically a free PC mario maker but for mega man, so they can just focus on design since code and assets are all handled.

rewkol

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I took a game design course in University not too long ago so maybe my experience from the student side will help you.

We used a book called "Understanding Video Games," though the prof disagreed with some things in the book, it did have some good info in it. For developing we used Game Maker Studio; you can get it on steam for free but not by searching, you need the direct install link. My prof gave us this link to the steamdb page for GameMaker Studio and I verified by searching it manually that this link is not hidden or anything so it should be good. You can just click the install button and it will install through steam. There are a lot of tutorials and help resources online for making games in GameMaker through the drag-and-drop functions, and if you have a background in C or a C-based language learning GameMaker's scripting language GML isn't too difficult (and the api doc for it is pretty good).

In terms of lecture material we started with some real general questions of "what is a game?" and "what is play?" with some great group discussions on this topic where everyone was encouraged to share their views of what makes a game. He led the class with some great questions and interjections like "You said that a game is a challenge you must overcome, so would you consider school a game?" You know, interesting things like that which really helped us question whether it is even possible to define a game. This was all to build into our midterm project which was a researched essay on what is a game where we had to use a theory he taught us in class as a starting point. If I recall mine started from Huizinga's Magic Circle and built into my own general explanation of what is a game. There are quite a lot of thoughts on this topics, and I recommend taking some time just to see what other people think is the definition of a game.

We followed the theory lesson with mechanics, game elements, and aesthetics which taught us how to think about our games and also to teach us that games are a "co-authored experience." Meaning that what the designer creates is not the game as it is experienced by the player; both bring something to the experience, and the interplay between these is how the game is experienced. We used the MDA framework to examine this. In terms of aesthetics I guess the big point was somewhere along the lines of "ceci n'est pas une pipe" and whatnot. I'm a little fuzzy on the details now.

A really important set of lectures was on the development process, most specifically that you should use an Agile process. Iteration is key. The developers and designers should always be implementing stuff and then testing it to see if it works. Whatever you start off with in your head is not going to be the final product in code. Somewhere along the lines you will realize something isn't fun to play and change it, or find a really fun feature and expand it beyond what you originally imagined. Though you should be sure to teach them about scope creep!

There was a lecture on designing tutorials, and I'm pretty sure he showed us an Extra Credits episode for that one. So Mark Brown will actually come in handy here. I'd say he did this because it was easier to show a good tutorial than tell us about one. Which, side bar, is another good lesson: play don't show, and show don't tell. If possible, it is always preferable for the player to play through the story. "I shot that guy" is better than "Trevor shot that guy" which is far superior to "I heard that Trevor shot that guy." I don't really have a good place to put this, but we also did a short UI and UX lesson where we looked at good and bad UIs, and also talked about Fitts's Law which is helpful to know.

Other than that, looking at my syllabus for it, it seems we had a couple lectures with more of an arts focus because it was an arts course. This was topics like the culture of games, controversies about video games, games as art, etc. He ended the course with a conversation about the industry, but that was more him sharing his experience with us and would be hard to replicate authentically.

What I couldn't find in the syllabus but remember was important was the concept of pillars. Your game should have design pillars that define the game you are making. They can also be used to gauge whether a new feature will fit the game. His example was Sleeping Dogs. One major design pillar was that actions should be possible no matter the context, so if you can kick, you should be able to kick whether you are on a boat, or in a car, or wherever. There are also Anti-Pillars which are the "this game is definitely not" concepts. So my own example for this would be in Mario they most likely have "heavy story focus" as an Anti-Pillar, meaning that when you stomp on a goomba he isn't going to tell you his life story. It's just not what the game is about.

Fortunately for us, our prof was actually ex-EA so you could tell when he said something off-handed about development and design that it was based on a real story.

I'd suggest if you really want to do this right for your students you should seriously take some time before school starts to take a deep dive into game design. Watching the occasional Game Maker's Toolkit is great for scratching the surface, but to be able to competently teach this I strongly feel that you should have as deep of an understanding of the topic as you possibly can.

Sorry for the long, rambling response. Hopefully something in my memories of my course can help you figure out what you want to do with your class.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I talked to the principal today and agreed the class should focus more on design and raw coding.

These are incongruent goals for a highschool course. Each of those topics could be an entirely different major. A general comp sci class should cover the "raw coding" aspect of things. If this is a class that is solely about game design, you should honestly try to divorce it from "coding" as much as possible.

This is honestly a very hard course to design, especially with complete beginners like this. I would think a course focusing on game design for highschool kids would be very difficult because they don't even know, like, the basics of software programming patterns, and much of game design is influenced by those kinds of patterns.

I wouldn't teach a single engine and try to explain design that way, I'd use a variety of editors and show the class how the goals of the game influence the tools you use. So, like, have them design a course in Mario Maker for platformers, let them try RPG Maker for a simple RPG game, you could try something like ViperCard to show people how to make a point and click game.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Teach them to do their own Roblox games:
Level%20Up%20in%20Game%20Creation%20with%20Roblox.gif

1c827b33928d13c71f423ce007733713c620d57b.gif

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Check some of these out: http://thegamedesignforum.com/features/featureshome.html

Although, I would be wary of the crutch of "and now we're going to spend the next few classes talking about this game in particular". I would imagine it would be difficult to remove personal biases from such an approach, and this should be about design as a whole, not how some single game is great. Use examples, obviously, but have it be open. Action-adventure games are not the end all be all of games.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I teach a small class for a wide range of ages occasionally and built this small instructional framework to show them how to build a little game. The emphasis here is a bit more focused on engineering/architecture in the sense that it's really a small tutorial on sampling, simulation and rendering, and how to abstract/compose them. It leverages the Pico-8 runtime.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey but speaking of game programming patterns, if you want to go more low level, THIS:

splash.jpg

Is one of the best books I've read on the subject. It presumes programming knowledge, but it's basically a Software Design and Architecture Specializations course condensed to only patterns useful to games programming. It's from an ex-EA developer. Very good book with great examples.

Last edited:

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Would game-making tools like Mario Maker be any help? I can imagine teaching the 4-step level design philosophy and having students make levels based on them, yea?

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, why not use a Level Editor?

For example, Tomb Raider Level Editor.
trle_screenshot_lg.jpg

It's easy because it brings all objects necessary, textures, sounds, music. It's free to download for PC since it released, and should run fine on pretty much every PC.
It has a comprehensive manual, and some example levels ready to play.
trle.jpg

There are some tight recommendations by the designer who wrote most of the TRLE manual:
Consider this; the first "trap" I ever designed, way back in Tomb Raider: Return to Atlantis, wasn't really even a trap at all. It was a warning, a foreshadowing of things to come (...) Lara was returning to Atlantis, and I was her guide, even her nemesis.
She'd just dropped into the typical Tomb Raider "long dark tunnel", and I felt it was time to break out the timeless Rolling Ball trick, probably the most classic of all Lara's obstacles. Now Rolling balls usually mean one thing - instant "death",
until you work out the pattern, or are fast enough to proceed - I didn't want "instant death", in terms of design it is rarely satisfying, and certainly not at the very beginning of a level. All I wanted wasā€¦ a little "scare", a note to the player that the level designer was on board.

As Lara walked up a short rise, suddenly a rolling ball would drop from the ceiling, and unerringly trundle towards her.
A perfect opportunity to panic, to fall forward into a pit, to run away "screaming". But if the player held their nerve, stood perfectly still, the ball rolled to within a few feet and then dropped harmlessly into the aforementioned pitā€¦ just a warning.
maxresdefault.jpg

trle.net has user levels, there are some cool ones made till this day:
3142e.jpg

Someone made this years ago :v

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Will all the students have a computer and a desk station? Depending on this there would be different applications you would probably want to use.

In our private highschool, we literally started them on Maya (free student version) and Unreal (also free). We went through youtube videos with the students and learned the programs that way. It was actually very quick to pick up for the older kids. For younger students we used basics like pivot and scratch. But with the free student versions of Maya and Unreal they're not really any harder than something like Unity or Basic.

In 4 weeks, you could easily come up with a curriculum in Maya and Unreal for the kids to try out. (we also used Mixemo for borrowed animations)

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's any point discussing programming for quite a while. I'd make an assignment asking them to analyze how a game they like introduces its mechanics to the player and then maybe go through it as a class.

I dunno. Good luck! Definitely curious how this turns out.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
For high school, if you're doing programming, you really should stick to something easy like Scratch.MIT.edu. it's really the best.

As far as game design, focus on the fun. Fun should be the jumping point.
Also, whatever you do, don't let your personal gaming biases get in the way. For instance if you don't like Looter Shooters, don't drill that in their heads that it's bad. Instead, present both sides and let them decide (and lean them ever so slightly in the direction you want ;) )

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
What about Starcraft 2? It's free and has a map maker that offers a ton of flexibility and variable complexity.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
Your best bet is either scratch or something that has a simple level editor. Mario Maker would probably be neat if it wasn't unfeasible for a class room.

Another thing you want to do is not only give people the tools to do something but also tell them why things are the way they are. For example, explain to them how Super Mario Bros. teaches players things in the first level.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Fair play for your spirit mate but they seriously have you teaching a course on a subject you know next to nothing about? And you agreed?

Mrfb17

Senior Designer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, United Kingdom
I'd recommend articles like this that focus on core Design but also link it to actual Video games.

Personally I think you should just use games as a basis for the kind of Design you want to teach them. Think of a popular game and a scenario you might want to solve, or a type of mechanic you'd want them to design. There's plenty out there but I'd suggest just keep it linked to games and make it so they can engage with what they know, make it fun and challenging and it won't matter if you're teaching Design 101.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, if you're going to do any Mario Maker it should definitely be the Wii U version.

Oct 27, 2017
For those questioning how someone with "no knowledge" can assemble and successfully conduct a class in such a short period of time: even if you are experiencing this subject for the first time, you are still an authority for them on education - and are demonstrating how to approach learning a complex subject, and how to maximize your time to get the most out of the initial stages of learning.

This opportunity sounds exciting! Add researching the design and pitch process for Mario Rabbids to the list of inspiration recommendations from this thread, aka the value of making a low-tech working proof-of-concept.

If you are focusing on game design, you have very little time for the philosophical "what is a game" stuff. If they are high-school age, they are likely bringing in info and experience on playing games on various platforms anyways. A round of hot-and-cold, hot potato, and "guess which hand" can get them participating immediately, while quickly and readily explaining many core game concepts (events, handling user inputs, logic, decisions, turn-based vs. timed vs. reactive, etc.). Let their minds then flex and think about where these concepts and components exist in their favorite games. They will likely feel both inspired and a bit overwhelmed - mission accomplished!

If they want to go off and use tools on their own to make their own games, of course let them. But the class experience should be about design, collaboration, and problem-solving IMO. Can't expose students early enough to collaboration and problem-solving. You probably have enough time for one collaborative project, and one "game jam" where the students come up with their own individual game and implement it in a visual programming environment. Like others said, for the collab focus on an aspect of a game or game design that interests you, and see where you and the class can take it.

Dispense with any specific level designers of existing games in class, maybe have them do an independent research project on that if there is time. IMO it's important that the class produce their own game design they can demonstrate. Whatever you have them produce in class will likely be translatable to a number of platforms, such that each student may eventually come up with their own implemented version of the game. Perhaps even ultimately have an entry for a future competition, or (is it too much to imagine?) the Next Great Game.

Since there's likely no post-HS or AP credit attached to this, de-emphasize rigorous coding in-class. They may have been taking coding in other classes or outside activities anyway.

Of course there's a part of me that wants to tell you something else (especially since you're a math teacher):

For the serious students leaning towards careers in tech, dispense with the coding entirely and focus on Discrete Math instead

I know that won't happen, but I can dream haha!

Good luck!

dose

Oct 29, 2017
I admire your eagerness but if you have no game design experience how are you going to give feedback to their work and decide that what they've done is good or not?
Imo it's a bad idea and someone who actually knows what they're talking about and has experience should be the one doing the teaching.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I took a "coding and game design" class in my senior grade of HS (this is recent), and having to split the little time we had (2 lessons a week) between coding and actual game design (Unity) meant we got basically nowhere. You should make a decision on how you'll approach the subject because trying to expose people who never coded to making a game, even a rudimentary one, takes a lot of dedication.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Not only I got no clue about the topic but I also work on a non-STEM field. And I'm no educator, beyond some volunteering back in the day. So take my opinion with a massive pinch of salt.

If I was a student in your course I would probably hope you taught us something practical that could be applicable to other areas. Whether it's some basic coding or project management or whatever, instead of focusing on very high level game design principles that they might never get to make much use of.

I mean, I guess you are also probably used to do this, but I think it might be a good idea to survey your students on the first day to see what their hopes and expectations for the course are.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Well I'm a professor of game design so I should be able to help you out, but I would imagine a high school is very different from university, with a different level and different learning goals.

In my experience with university students, it helps to first kind of have them unlearn their rather rigid ideas about what constitutes good games. But maybe HSers are more of a blank page or you don't have time for that. I'm also much freer than a HS I would imagine, because I get to determine my own end terms. Are there underlying learning goals or is it part of a larger curriculum? STEM or art or design thinking?

I think it's best to go an experiential learning route. Just start with brainstorming (make sure you have diverse teams and students who are not normally friends as it helps the creative process), through a concept and then a paper prototype. Only if you have time go into Scratch, Gamemaker, or Construct2. Although, if you want to start doing and then reflecting, it would help if you at least know the right way to nudge them in.

I think the MDA framework by Hunicke is essential, just for them to understand that as designers you kind of have to think opposite than as players. I'm not really sure what book would fit. I think Game Design Workshop by Tracy Fullerton could be sufficiently low level? You can easily find the pdf online to see if it fits.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
also, teachers having to last minute give a class they're not an expert in happens way more than you think, lol.

Would game-making tools like Mario Maker be any help? I can imagine teaching the 4-step level design philosophy and having students make levels based on them, yea?
You mean kishoutenketsu? Yes I think that's a great way to have them really think about level design.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
Scratch is great, especially since you can examine source code and modify every published project.

scratch.mit.edu

Scratch - Imagine, Program, Share

Scratch is a free programming language and online community where you can create your own interactive stories, games, and animations.