• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dog Weissman

Banned
Sep 12, 2020
I've been a guitarist for many years but recently bought a new J-Bass to learn and possibly get into home recording. I always perceived the bass as kind of a boring nothing instrument because I was a dumb fuck. I wanted to challenge this perception and funk music seemed like the natural place to find a bass showcase.

And now I'm hooked.

I spent my entire life up to this point not truly appreciating how hard Rick James, The Isley Brothers, P-Funk, etc all slap. God DAMN Street Songs and 3+3 are masterpieces. I want more. I know it's out there and I want it. You guys have any suggestions? Songs or albums would be more useful than listing off artists.

Zanaffar

Oct 27, 2017
Well was always partial to this songs bassline.
www.youtube.com

CHIC - Le Freak (Official Music Video)

You're watching the official music video for CHIC's disco anthem "Le Freak". Rhino is proud to present "The Chic Organization 1977-1979". Find a copy here ht...
Edit: Wanted to add this also
www.youtube.com

24 STRINGS BASS SOLO 2

Back at playing and slapping the 24 Strings Godzilla Bass Guitar! Any suggestion for the next video? Leave a comment :)TABS and Backing Tracks: https://www....

Last edited:

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
tfw you got the bass face
8RN4.gif

grang

Nov 13, 2017

youtu.be

Electro Deluxe - Play (Live In Paris)

Electro Deluxe - Play (Live In Paris)From the live album Electro Deluxe Big Band Live In ParisBOOKING: Caramba Culture LivešŸ–„ [email protected]ā˜… buy origin...

www.youtube.com

So I Got To Groove

Provided to YouTube by EpicSo I Got To Groove Ā· Tower Of PowerRhythm & Businessā„— 1997 Sony Music Entertainment Inc.Released on: 1997-09-16Background Vocal, ...

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Is it easier to learn bass than guitar? Like the dexterity portion I have fat ass hands and fingers

Zanaffar

Oct 27, 2017
As a bass lover i feel I should maybe link this also.
www.youtube.com

SILENT SIREN - 惕ć‚øćƒ¤ćƒžćƒ‡ć‚£ć‚¹ć‚³ļ¼ˆFUJIYAMA DISCOļ¼‰

SILENT SIREN怀EMI Recordsē§»ē±ē¬¬äø€å¼¾ć‚·ćƒ³ć‚°ćƒ« 怌惕ć‚øćƒ¤ćƒžćƒ‡ć‚£ć‚¹ć‚³ć€2017.03.01. On Sale. 初回限定ē›¤A (CDļ¼‹DVD)ļæ„1,800ļ¼‹ē؎UPCH-89317[DVD収録内容]怌Silent Siren 2016å¹“ęœ«ć‚¹ćƒšć‚·ćƒ£ćƒ«ćƒ©ć‚¤ćƒ– Dream onļ¼ć€12/30ļ¼ ę±äŗ¬ä½“č‚²é¤Ø...

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Is it easier to learn bass than guitar? Like the dexterity portion I have fat ass hands and fingers

You aren't doing chord shapes but the frets are further apart and timing consistency is more important. It's probably a bit easier to start out and play along with songs at a basic level, but you can always make it hard for yourself.

try some Vulfpeck, some crazy bass playing

For Vulfpeck I'd strongly suggest their Madison Square Garden performance. Great show all around, and you get the benefit of the crowd singing along with the bassline for Dean Town

www.youtube.com

VULFPECK /// Dean Town (Live at Madison Square Garden)

VULFPECK /// Dean Town (Live at Madison Square Garden)buy vinyl first pressing at https://vulfpeck.bandcamp.com/

KymTheSpud

Oct 28, 2017
Cumbria, UK
You aren't doing chord shapes but the frets are further apart and timing consistency is more important. It's probably a bit easier to start out and play along with songs at a basic level, but you can always make it hard for yourself.

For Vulfpeck I'd strongly suggest their Madison Square Garden performance. Great show all around, and you get the benefit of the crowd singing along with the bassline for Dean Town

www.youtube.com

VULFPECK /// Dean Town (Live at Madison Square Garden)

VULFPECK /// Dean Town (Live at Madison Square Garden)buy vinyl first pressing at https://vulfpeck.bandcamp.com/

I managed to see them live in Dublin a few years ago, the crowd went absolutely bonkers for Deanstown, quite a surreal experience hearing everyone chanting along to the baseline...incredible performance.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I managed to see them live in Dublin a few years ago, the crowd went absolutely bonkers for Deanstown, quite a surreal experience hearing everyone chanting along to the baseline...incredible performance.

It is still so wild to me to see how successful they've become, considering I was in a band with Jack back in college. Fuck man, I should have stuck with music.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I've been a guitarist for many years but recently bought a new J-Bass to learn and possibly get into home recording. I always perceived the bass as kind of a boring nothing instrument because I was a dumb fuck. I wanted to challenge this perception and funk music seemed like the natural place to find a bass showcase.

And now I'm hooked.

I spent my entire life up to this point not truly appreciating how hard Rick James, The Isley Brothers, P-Funk, etc all slap. God DAMN Street Songs and 3+3 are masterpieces. I want more. I know it's out there and I want it. You guys have any suggestions? Songs or albums would be more useful than listing off artists.

Start watching this channel ASAP. Wooten was one of his biggest heroes, and he's probably on par with him now, if not finally surpassing him on a technical level.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry we can't help you. Embrace the madness.

By the way look up average white band

sejny

Oct 30, 2017
Primus is one of the greatest bands of all time and while not strictly "funk," they are quite funky. Oh, and they suck, too.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate stuff like this on a technical level but I'm not particularly moved by virtuosic prog stuff like this.

That's not what he focuses on honestly. It's one of the most technical pieces he's done up to this point on his channel. I only posted it just to show how skillful he is, but he's way more versatile than that. He plays everything.

Slapping and tapping is what he's all about.

Last edited:

Mesoian

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 28, 2017
Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Crazy thing about funk is that even beyond the big acts you had so many bands out there putting out fantastic records and disappearing its why new 70's samples popping in modern hip-hop/R&B production feels endless.

And it feels like it's an era that hasn't really been mined to its full potential (outside of samples). You have milquetoast bands that dabble in funk but none of them are as deep in the fucking pocket like the 70's stuff.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Welcome to the party. I need to get back to work on playing mine. Still wish I had gone for a short scale violin bass over the Sterling stingray I got. Then again I took a long enough break I should be able to adjust now(my original beater was a shortscale

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Not funk, but Billy Gould of Faith No More is a hell of a bassist and pretty funky IMHO.

Faith No More - Land of Sunshine Original:
youtube.com

Land of Sunshine

Provided to YouTube by London RecordsLand of Sunshine Ā· Faith No MoreAngel Dustā„— 1992 Slash RecordsUnknown: Adam MunozBass Guitar: Billy GouldProducer: Bill...

Bass cover:
youtu.be

Faith No More - "Land Of Sunshine" (Bass Cover)

As I've mentioned before, Billy Gould is a big influence on my playing and sound. Even as I learned about FNM when Epic came out like most people, it wasn't ...

dlemarc

Oct 31, 2017
Here's some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned.

Heavy Love Affair - Marvin Gaye

Thighs High - Tom Browne

If You Want Me To Stay - Sly and the Family Stone

A Touch of Jazz - Zapp

dlemarc

Oct 31, 2017
Here's a few more.

Alright - Jamiroquai

Just Chillin Out - Bernard Wright

School Boy Crush - Average White Band

Superbad - James Brown