• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
I recently dropped my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) and killed the screen--no picture, no touchscreen functionality. I'm not too bothered about the phone itself, as it was six years old and getting sluggish in a lot of ways. I did try a few "fixes," but all to no avail. But I am hoping it might still be possible to retrieve some of the text messages that I've been receiving over the past 24 hours, as well as my contacts list.

Here's what I'm working with:
  • No picture, no touchscreen functionality to answer incoming calls or texts, but the phone still receives them (it vibrates and its lights activate)
  • I can connect the phone to my computer via USB and access the file system--but apparently texts can't be accessed this way? This is hard to believe but info is kind of scarce online
  • I've tried a few third-party applications which claim to be able to access the SMS data via PC, but they all need me to authorize the connection/permission on the device itself, which is obviously impossible when I can't see it or use it
Really hoping someone has a good idea!

P.S. Cricket support is not ideal. I can't even log into my account online to order a new phone without being able to access my temporary password--which, you guessed it, is sent via text. But that's a story for another day...

OP
OP
Run Goku

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. If you did that, you can still control the phone from a paired device.

Setup a remote viewer and go to town.

At the risk of sounding even dumber, are you talking about connecting to a different screen (like by using an MHL to HMDI adapter and just using a TV)? Or something else entirely?

You can probably guess I'm not really a phone expert since I haven't gotten a new one in so long.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
At the risk of sounding even dumber, are you talking about connecting to a different screen (like by using an MHL to HMDI adapter and just using a TV)? Or something else entirely?

You can probably guess I'm not really a phone expert since I haven't gotten a new one in so long.
They're saying you can retrieve them though the use of ADB and the command line on the paired computer

OP
OP
Run Goku

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
They're saying you can retrieve them though the use of ADB and the command line on the paired computer

Thanks, unfortunately it looks like this might be a little over my head. I've followed a pretty simple guide, got the platform tools installed and running the command prompt for .adb. Even found the commands I need to export the SMS files, but I'm running into a bunch of "device unauthorized errors." I looked up these errors and found that I might need to disable and reenable USB Debugging on the device to fix it. So that's probably out of the question.

Thank you both for taking a look anyway. Maybe I can still try a TV adapter?
Edit: wait, no, that won't work if I can't actually use the screen to navigate it.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
If you haven't already authorized ADB use from your PC, then ADB is out of the question. Your best bet is a USB hub and a combo of a mouse / keyboard / hdmi

OP
OP
Run Goku

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
What's so valuable in the last 24 hours of texts 😈

It was actually my birthday and I just wanted to be courteous and say thanks to any well-wishers haha.
But I also thought that if I could retrieve texts, I would then be able to access the confirmation code from Cricket that would let me back into my account.

If you haven't already authorized ADB use from your PC, then ADB is out of the question. Your best bet is a USB hub and a combo of a mouse / keyboard / hdmi
This is what I would say.

Interesting, thanks. I'm not familiar with how that would work but I will look into it now. I'm pretty sure I did enable ADB/USB Debugging, but it would've been years ago and it could've very well been reset since then.

Did you happen to turn on backing up your phone to Google Drive?

That would've been smart, but sadly not. I did use it previously for backing up photos, but I got an external HDD for all of my backups in general, and I transitioned into a routine where I would backup photos via USB instead. Never really thought that it wouldn't be simple to open this kind of stuff via USB too.

Wait, this is a Samsung? Did you create a Samsung account? If so, you should be able to restore them to a new Samsung

I just checked and it seems like I did not ever create an account.

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
You could get a replacement display. Found some offers after a quick look at Amazon and Aliexpress. Not even that expensive.

OP
OP
Run Goku

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
Well, after all of this, I stumbled into this Samsung application:

www.samsung.com

Smart Switch | Apps & Services | Samsung US

Simple data transfers. Secure backups. Smart Switch is the app that moves content to your new Samsung Galaxy from your old device, whether it's an Android device or not.

And it seems like it's going to work; it connects to the phone readily without requiring any input on the phone itself. Already got my contacts exported to .csv and backing up messages now.

You could get a replacement display. Found some offers after a quick look at Amazon and Aliexpress. Not even that expensive.

Thanks for taking a look!

Really appreciate everyone's ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.