• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
Hey Era, been a minute, I need help finding a new RPG to play. Full disclosure this comes after being horribly disappointed that DA 2 on Steam was 1) not actually on steam you had to dl Origin's to play it and 2) Did not have controller support. I have to have controller support to be able to play games due to a small disability in my arm. I was really hyped to play DA2 again as its my favorite and I hadn't been able to play it in quite some time. So since this is no longer an option and I can't wrack my brain anymore for more, what are some good RPG's with a romance system and some cool magic I could play? I'm more than willing to not have cool magic if it means like, cool sci-fi. I've played every single Bioware game in existence and I'm a huge JRPG nut so I've play every FF, every Star Ocean, Every Tales game, Most Trail's games, and a few other miscellaneous ones. I didn't like the Witcher though, so sadly that wont be helpful. I'm willing to go back in time for older systems (I would have gotten DA on PS3 but apparently its not for sale anymore on there :/) or PC as long as it has controller support. Help please!

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2.

Baiten Kaitos

Shadow Hearts

Baldur's Gate 2 (PS4)

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Bound by Flame, Technomancer, Greedfall, Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3 not all have magic but all are great and are good too great Sci Fi

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that Dragon Age 2 doesn't have controller support on PC is dumb. I am replaying it right now actually.

I would recommend:

Fallout New Vegas (WRPG)

Lost Odyssey (JRPG)

Deus Ex 1 (but no controller support unfortunately)

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Era, been a minute, I need help finding a new RPG to play. Full disclosure this comes after being horribly disappointed that DA 2 on Steam was 1) not actually on steam you had to dl Origin's to play it and 2) Did not have controller support. I have to have controller support to be able to play games due to a small disability in my arm. I was really hyped to play DA2 again as its my favorite and I hadn't been able to play it in quite some time. So since this is no longer an option and I can't wrack my brain anymore for more, what are some good RPG's with a romance system and some cool magic I could play? I'm more than willing to not have cool magic if it means like, cool sci-fi. I've played every single Bioware game in existence and I'm a huge JRPG nut so I've play every FF, every Star Ocean, Every Tales game, Most Trail's games, and a few other miscellaneous ones. I didn't like the Witcher though, so sadly that wont be helpful. I'm willing to go back in time for older systems (I would have gotten DA on PS3 but apparently its not for sale anymore on there :/) or PC as long as it has controller support. Help please!
Every game on Steam can be given controller support by mapping keys to your controller in the Steam Configuration settings.

img_588266d8292d2.png

Wouldn't surprise me if the Community has already done it and you can just download the profile.

ThePrince

Nov 1, 2017
Have you thought about Persona 4? It just came out on PC.

Apparently Greedfall is a lot like Bioware RPGs but I haven't played it yet so I can't say how good it is. I think Divinity: Original Sin 2 has romance but again I'm yet to get around to playing it.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Shadowrun: Returns and Dragonfall / Hong Kong are all free on EGS right now!

OP
OP
Seri

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
For those that asked Persona is one of my fav series' I dont know what it left my mind to put it in the OP. I didn't care for Divinity OS 1, didn't try 2. I've beaten and loved DQ11, thank you all so much for the suggestions!

Every game on Steam can be given controller support by mapping keys to your controller in the Steam Configuration settings

Wouldn't surprise me if the Community has already done it and you can just download the profile.

I vaguely remember reading in my rage as i was requesting a refund on steam that that doesn't work with DA2 because its not actually running through steam its running through origin you just pay steam.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
For those that asked Persona is one of my fav series' I dont know what it left my mind to put it in the OP. I didn't care for Divinity OS 1, didn't try 2. I've beaten and loved DQ11, thank you all so much for the suggestions!

I vaguely remember reading in my rage as i was requesting a refund on steam that that doesn't work with DA2 because its not actually running through steam its running through origin you just pay steam.
You can add any non-steam game into steam by adding the EXE to your library. This gives it controller support. Even if the game launches through Origin.

I have done this for many Origin and EGS games.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon's Dogma for sure if you somehow didn't give it a go years ago.

Otherwise, invest in a Switch and get the Xenoblade games and a couple SaGa games.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

for what it's worth I didn't much care for Divinity Original Sin 1 but I loved 2. If you can find people to play coop with even better. It's by no means something aching to some of your favorites but it's by far among the best recent RPGs period and the controller support is damn great save for some of the UI elements Larian decided to make a pain in the ass to see in the controller UI (remove helmet visual, total life/mana/stamina left numbers).

If you're willing to go a bit on the AA-side, I feel both Technomancer and Greedfall are right up your alley for Bioware-like titles but you have to come in expecting a AA title with very limited resources on time, team size and reusing assets to lower cost.

Right now I'm going through Cold Steel 3 and Cold Steel 4 is about to come up in like a bit less than two months so as far as you having played Trails games a major one is releasing soon though on PS4 only if you have one or can borrow one (2021 for PC and Switch).
------------------------------
As for DAII not having controller support there are somewhat work arounds if you can play with a keyboard nearby for a few button presses. There are third party controller support apps you can use to play DAII with. If you do the set up correctly it's not impossible to play with particularly if you use the option to pause time during combat efficiently. I replayed it on PC not too long ago this way and it wasn't a complete headache I just had to get used to it alongside a few button presses on the keyboard.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Have you given mainline Shin Megami Tensei a try? SMTIV is a good place to start for that. Nocturne is available on PS3 as a PS2 Classic, BUT I would honestly just wait for the HD Remaster of that one coming out in English in early 2021. Soul Hackers on 3DS is also quite good. Strange Journey is great, although the original is harder to find these days. Redux is okay, but I prefer the original.

If you haven't already played it, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE on Switch is really good.

I'd also suggest the Xenoblade series. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is probably the place to start, and then Xenoblade Chronicles 2, then the Torna expansion, all on Switch. Xenoblade Chronicles X is only on Wii U right now, but could possibly come to Switch eventually. Opinions are more mixed on that one, and if you don't have a Wii U already I don't think it's worth going out there and picking one up for that.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Try Greedfall. Also Original Sin 2 is much better than the first one, but it also depends on why you didnt like the first one. It retains its extremely open and non guided nature which is usually the problem people have with those games.

OP
OP
Seri

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
Have you given mainline Shin Megami Tensei a try? SMTIV is a good place to start for that. Nocturne is available on PS3 as a PS2 Classic, BUT I would honestly just wait for the HD Remaster of that one coming out in English in early 2021. Soul Hackers on 3DS is also quite good. Strange Journey is great, although the original is harder to find these days. Redux is okay, but I prefer the original.

If you haven't already played it, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE on Switch is really good.

I'd also suggest the Xenoblade series. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is probably the place to start, and then Xenoblade Chronicles 2, then the Torna expansion, all on Switch. Xenoblade Chronicles X is only on Wii U right now, but could possibly come to Switch eventually. Opinions are more mixed on that one, and if you don't have a Wii U already I don't think it's worth going out there and picking one up for that.

I tried Xenoblade 2 and it just got away from me for some reason, I've heard that I'd like the original better from friends so i might try that out soon. TMS #FE is amazing lmao. I've played SMT IV apocalypse and Nocturne (when I was younger lol first SMT game i played)

Looks like I'm gonna def put Greedfall on my list along with giving Divinity 2 a shot. If i swallow my pride I might try to do the work arounds for controller support on DA2 for steam but we'll see. Sigh. I wish it just had controller support in general :/. I've def marked down a few other suggestions too! Thank you all so much ^^

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
If you have a ps4 then FF7 remake should be the next game you play. Its the best jrpg on the generation.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I tried Xenoblade 2 and it just got away from me for some reason, I've heard that I'd like the original better from friends so i might try that out soon. TMS #FE is amazing lmao. I've played SMT IV apocalypse and Nocturne (when I was younger lol first SMT game i played)

Looks like I'm gonna def put Greedfall on my list along with giving Divinity 2 a shot. If i swallow my pride I might try to do the work arounds for controller support on DA2 for steam but we'll see. Sigh. I wish it just had controller support in general :/. I've def marked down a few other suggestions too! Thank you all so much ^^
You should play the original SMTIV if you've only played Apocalypse. They aren't the same game and Apocalypse is the sequel.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The answer is CrossCode

It is very good

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you still want DA2 check steam input in case someone already did the work or map the controller there. (see you tried)Otherwise, this mod is old but seems it still works.

www.nexusmods.com

GlovePIE Script for Xbox 360 Controller

A GlovePIE controller script for use with the Dragon Age games that will let you use the Xbox 360 controller.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
There's not that much rpgs with romance elements, is there?

Aside Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Persona. Light elements in Cold Steel or Zero/Ao or Dragon's Dogma.

Maybe the Ar Tonelico series? Tho it's really really weeby lol

Thousand Arms on PS1 as well. Maybe something in the Sakura Wars series?

I'm missing something?

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
There's not that much rpgs with romance elements, right?

Aside Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Persona. Light elements in Cold Steel or Zero/Ao or Dragon's Dogma.

I'm missing something?
Sakura Wars definitely has romance. It's one of its main points.

I wouldn't classify it as an RPG though, especially not the new one. They're more visual novels.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's not that much rpgs with romance elements, right?

I'm missing something?
you could potentially start diving into the Visual Novel/RPG territory, as there are a few of them that have RPG combat and elements. Utawarerumono on Steam is one of these and i could swear these have romance last I heard, but if not ignore this specific suggestion. There's also the 3 recent Fire Emblem titles.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
Are you trying to stick to pc for the most part or do you have some consoles? Seems like you most likely have a switch? Ni No Kuni goes on sale there a lot if you never played it back in the day. Also I'm gonna second everyone saying divinity 2. Not my style of game at all and I fell in love with it

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Im currently playing Suikoden, then I'm gonna move on to Suikoden 2. Have you played those? Really enjoying it so far.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I have this game on my radar but from what I hear, it's worth waiting until it's further along and closer to 1.0 because people are starting to see repeating dialogue/situations. It does look freaking amazing so I hope to play it once it's largely finished with content and anything remaining on it is more bug squashing.

OP
OP
Seri

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I love Cross Code! Its amazing and honestly I'll def replay it soon. ^^

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Disco Elysium is the best RPG of the last decade. (not sure if it has controller support though).

Other than that, Wasteland 3 is the second best choice.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo Xanadu doesn't really have"romance" as the MC relegates every single person as just a good friend, but I found the bonding events and gameplay to be top notch.

I would also recommend Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time, Trails of Cold Steel, Dragon Quest XI or VIII.

There aren't romance options but The Last Story on Wii has one of the best romance plots in a game I've ever played and would highly recommend it. Pandora's Tower on Wii is also one I would recommend.