• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Cyberpunk is a genre that's about human creativity, about the underdog, about what are and what we could be -- the untapped potential of humanity, if only so many of us weren't held down by oppressors. It's about imagining, and changing. It's about, god, fucking color and shedding the drab forms often expected in the name of "professionalism" or bland commercial appeal.

So why the fuck does the art look more generic than, like, a fake video game invented for one of those crime procedurals where they invent a new nootropic-off-the-dark-web every episode?

D7P_yLdX4AAvJWO.jpg:large

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I agree.

Then again, as great as CD Projekt's games are... their boxarts are pretty much inversely proportional to the game's quality. I mean, TW3's was literally "angry Geralt mid-pose against a white background", which showcased *nothing* of what the game really is about.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You lost me with this post man....like what?

Also, this seems pretty hot take, reaction post like, so I assume this thread will be closed very soon.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
love it. this game will sell sooooooooooooooooooooo much. that art is gonna help. it stands out so well.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you young, a teenager or new to gaming by any chance? You realise Naughty Dog didn't invent or even popularise white guy holding gun pose right?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
The yellow at least is a bold choice. Everything else is pretty generic though. It's becoming a lost art form, really.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Naughty Dog... wh... wha? And where the bloody hell does their influence come through on that piece of promo art? I don't understand what you mean.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This reminds me of the complaints when Human Revolution was revealed...the yellow filter and all that

And what does Naughty Dog have to do with this cover art OP?

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's a very bland looking game, from an art direction perspective. Just like The Witcher. A stunning technical achievement I'm sure, but the art just isn't there.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Cyberpunk is a genre that's about human creativity, about the underdog, about what are and what we could be -- the untapped potential of humanity, if only so many of us weren't held down by oppressors. It's about imagining, and changing. It's about, god, fucking color and shedding the drab forms often expected in the name of "professionalism" or bland commercial appeal.

So why the fuck does the art look more generic than, like, a fake video game invented for one of those crime procedurals where they invent a new nootropic-off-the-dark-web every episode?

D7P_yLdX4AAvJWO.jpg:large

You're actually being too kind. =p

For an example of great official art, check out YARS' Revenge ('80s), Secret of Mana ('90s), Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 ('00s) and The Last Guardian ('10s)

effin

Jan 20, 2019
Honestly? As bland as That cover is it's also smart marketing on their part. Yellow works as a strong brand identifier, and the game already has more than enough buzz amongst these kind of gaming communities to know it'll sell fine.

They aren't marketing to you at this point, they are marketing to the average consumer who hasn't heard of Cyberpunk 2077 and will pick the game up because of a generic dudebro with a gun on the cover.

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018
I mean, the whole game is drowning in stereotypical white-male-with-gun-ness. It's referencing 1990s cyberpunk, but all the interesting trippy aspects have been sapped out, leaving a bland, middle-of-the-road mess. For the gamer that thought Blade Runner was too introspective, or gets creeped out by William Gibson, here's a dude with barely visible body modifications (but who's still conventionally hot!) who just shoots his way through all his problems, hooray.

May 24, 2019
That's a pretty bold, neon, graphic yellow. What's wrong with yellow?

edit: And with the neon blue clashing. Some render of the game's environment would be more standard.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I still can't handle how the dude looks like fucking has a "blue lives matter" bumper sticker on his car

Deleted member 56773

Banned
May 16, 2019
I have no idea why people are excited for this game other than The Witcher 3. I guess that's enough? I mean it's only one games and I've heard the other Witchers are pretty meh so....I dunno. So far nothing about this game looks interesting, it's been all flash and no substance.....which is like the opposite of the cyberpunk aesthetic.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait... I might have lost something since I am not a native english speaker but... what?

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Because they want to sell it to people who have never heard of the game, or Cyberpunk 2020 or even the genre of cyberpunk.

If you're on this forum then you probably know every damn thing about the game already and have a pretty good idea of whether or not you want to buy it. The cover art isn't going to change that. The cover art isn't aimed at you. It's aimed at someone walking into Gamestop or scrolling down a list on Steam.

It reminds me of Bioshock Infinite. When Ken Levine was asked why they went with the boring Guy With Gun And Some Sparks design, he gave the refreshingly honest answer of, "Because we need frat boys to buy it. Better to compromise on the cover than on the game itself."

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yellow background is fine. So long as the entire game doesn't have an obnoxious filter like Deus Ex, I'm good.
maxresdefault.jpg

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Personally the only slight issue I have about this game is that the dude looks boring as hell. Like, he looks like the most boring person I've seen out of every character they showed in this trailer lol.

The art's cool but that dude man he looks so plain.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Because it was designed by a marketing team to sell instead of whatever you think would look AWESOME but not be appealing?

OP
OP

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Really the big problem is that for those of us who remember the "did you assume their gender" jokes is that this cover looks like it's exactly the kind of game we were afraid it would be

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The framing of this thread won't lead to productive conversation, so we're locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.