• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
I'd rather a live action Hellsing Abridged.

HSA is just straight up better than Hellsing. A god like vampire memelord is like.. just the best concept.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
This convinced to give the Abridge version a chance to watch over the weekend.

I can see the live action doing well.
You should. It's honestly amazing as they turn Alucard from a sort of standard stoic anime protagonist to someone who is immortal so they don't give a fuck anymore. There is a bit of cringe humor with regards to the Rip Van Winkle Character but it was a product of the year it was made.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You should. It's honestly amazing as they turn Alucard from a sort of standard stoic anime protagonist to someone who is immortal so they don't give a fuck anymore. There is a bit of cringe humor with regards to the Rip Van Winkle Character but it was a product of the year it was made.
Abridged Alucard has 1/10th of Manga/Ultimate's character. It's funny as a parody but the original work is a thousand times better.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Abridged Alucard has 1/10th of Manga/Ultimate's character. It's funny as a parody but the original work is a thousand times better.
Eh. I find charm in both. I do find the Manga Alucard to be a bit of the standard type of protagonist for the era.

That's not to say he's bad character at all. I've cosplayed as him several times before Team Four Star even existed so I do love the character. In my older age I've just become a bit more fond of immortal characters who decide that they will just do what they want which is why Abridicard is more appealing.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, this could turn out really cool. Probably won't but still. Maybe I should reread the manga it's been ages.
How's the manga thinking of buying it without spoilers is it worth it?
I think so yes, it's very dark and have some questionable scenes later on but overall it's a dumb fun action series with some beautiful artwork.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This might end up bad but as long as they get the aesthetic right, I'm down.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Unless it's crazy OTT, I don't see how it works Live Action. I guess the John Wick dude is good for gun stuff but I wonder how they approach all the crazy supernatural stuff that He'll sing contains.

Also, interested to see who they pick for the various roles, since Hellsing has some amazingly weird characters. Also vampires exploding.

May 10, 2019
First reaction when reading this was it could be f'kin amazing in live action. Then reality kicked in and the budget needed to achieve this just won't be there, imo. Love this series and remembering all the insane battles like this one...

Seeing Alucard flying a SR-71 into a aircraft carrier will never get old.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

I've never watched the abridged version but that was basically who Alucard was in the manga and anime but with less memes.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Eh...

The world building, writing and general dialogue of John Wick 2 and 3 (and the latter half of 1 after Theon greyjoy dies) is pretty damn poor, even for action films. I'm not sure I trust him to do this well aside from the fight scenes.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a fan of the original series and Ultimate but this is a hard thing to translate since the appeal is escalating scenes of fantastical violence. They're gonna need several lakes worth of red liquid. Alucard's outfit is gonna be tough to pull off in live action too.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
SollefteĂĄ, Sweden
Alucard's outfit is gonna be tough to pull off in live action too.
I dont understand what you mean...
Hellsing-Alucard-Cosplay-Costume-3.jpg

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The manga is relatively short. I think you could do it in a movie/ movie series just fine.
If they're doing Hellsing Ultimate, it really is more of a movie in terms of format.
Ultimate is probably longer than the original show though. The original show was 250 minutes or so, Ultimate double that. To really do it, you'd need 3 movies I would say. So first movie would be taking down the Valentines, with a first introduction of the Papal Forces, ending on hinting to the Major if you want to make it 2 hours at most.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Most people I know that are fans of the anime became aware of it through the Abridged, so I do hope that if they are adapting Ultimate (the better anime) that they draw at least a little bit of inspiration from the popular Abridging. Nothing to crazy, but make him a little less stoic and with a very dark sense of humor when needed, like when he was taunting Luke Valentine before eating him. And I just generally hope they don't approach the movie in a totally serious manner in general, since it has a pretty bizarre premise that only really works in anime but wouldn't work well in life action

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have really no idea how this will properly adapt to live action when the best moments are super over the top and stylized. This thread really got me interested in rewatching Ultimate though

rt6HexN.jpg

JnDtp9p.gif

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I could totally see them just taking the broad strokes of the setting, which in itself can be advertised as a unique take on Bram Stoker, and making their own thing based on that. "Blade meets John Wick" is a really easy thing to reach for.

Man. I still gotta get the Blu-Ray set of Ultimate (I've read the manga). I'm not planning to watch Abridged until after I've seen all of Ultimate.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
Hellsing really only has ultra-violent spectacle going for it, so I guess JW writer works?

It could work in live-action, I guess

Oct 27, 2017
I'm cautiously optimistic. I love the manga, the OVA and Hellsing Ultimate, so a live action adaption needs to keep the insane amounts of over the top blood and violence of the source material. I also need to see who'll be playing my girl Seras. And goddamn they need Disturbed on the soundtrack just as a throwback to all those damn AMVs.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The writing of John Wick wasn't anything to write home about, it was Keanu carrying it with his charisma, doing the training required to make the gun-fu work. We need Chad Stahelski for this.