• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Sounds like she's not under NDA to confirm whether or not she'll be voicing Bayonetta (she says she won't) but she is under NDA as to why she won't be.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'm curious about what her play is here, because she's started a small fire and I can't imagine Nintendo or Platinum being too pleased.
Maybe she heard they wanted to replace her and she hopes to put some pressure on them by riling up her fans. Or she's having fun because the plot of Bayo 3 will be around the character's "death" and she's acting like it's true, even though there's no way they'd kill the title character for good.
Whatever it is, it's creating a bit of a mess, given how little we've heard about the game until now.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
RCd7AUX.jpg

I'm curious about what her play is here, because she's started a small fire and I can't imagine Nintendo or Platinum being too pleased.
Maybe she heard they wanted to replace her and she hopes to put some pressure on them by riling up her fans. Or she's having fun because the plot of Bayo 3 will be around the character's "death" and she's acting like it's true, even though there's no way they'd kill the title character for good.
Whatever it is, it's creating a bit of a mess, given how little we've heard about the game until now.
I wonder if Kamiya will address it in his biannual "development is going well" announcement. 👀

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017

It's Monday morning in Japan now. The ninjas are probably preparing a call or flight to Britain.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Helena Taylor is one of the best voice acting choices for her character made in the entire history of gaming. Having her replaced is downright insane.

As much as the 4 years of development hell at platinum games have sucked, I never thought the game was in actual trouble until hearing this news.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
You've gotta be fucking kidding me. She's iconic. The fuck are they thinking.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no idea how in the world are people equating a VA change with development troubles but it is clear that people just want the game to be in dev hell and are going to find any excuses to throw that out

why would anyone think Bayonetta is dead..... you guys are insane.

she dies in the teaser trailer tho

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
bbbbwhuuhhhhhhh......

Nope, cancel the game, the series is dead. Hellena Taylor's voice is way too iconic to Bayonetta for them to just drop her. This is not okay.

Disclaimer: I'm being hyperbolic but also completely sincere

I'm Team Bayo 2's Plot Is Bad Actually as well. It had good ideas but lacked focus and didn't have the same thematic cohesion as 1 did. Bayo 1 champions her independence and self-discovery over all else while 2 is like three separate half-baked plots wrapped in daddy issues that all fail to honor Bayo's agency. The final chapter is also just straight garbage and a soulless copy of the first game's amazing finale.
No way. Bayo 2 had a far better story and characterisation. Like you said, in 1 Bayo champions her self discovery over all else. Yes she is confident but she doesn't know where her power stems from. In 2 she is confident because she knows she is a total badass. She is more self assured and champions her friendships, literally going to hell and back for Jeanne.

And the plots aren't seperate at all, they are all interconnected. The final chapter in 2 makes Bayo 1s story better by fleshing out Balder's character and explaining his turn. Bayo 1 has a standard amnesia/self discovery story, Bayo 2 has much more to its story and feels more creative and unique.

Mar 18, 2020
No way. Bayo 2 had a far better story and characterisation. Like you said, in 1 Bayo champions her self discovery over all else. Yes she is confident but she doesn't know where her power stems from. In 2 she is confident because she knows she is a total badass. She is more self assured and champions her friendships, literally going to hell and back for Jeanne.

And the plots aren't seperate at all, they are all interconnected. The final chapter in 2 makes Bayo 1s story better by fleshing out Balder's character and explaining his turn. Bayo 1 has a standard amnesia/self discovery story, Bayo 2 has much more to its story and feels more creative and unique.

I think Bayo 2 leaves a worse impression than it should because of Loki. That character is insufferable.

The story itself is amusing enough.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I would be absolutely gutted if Taylor didn't reprise Bayonetta -- her performance is one of the primary reasons such an absurd character actually works! Bayonetta is such a sexual (and also sexualized/objectified) character, but it's contrasted with Taylor's performance, which is more like a haughty and perpetually snarky school teacher. It's also amazing how incredibly powerful Taylor makes Bayonetta sound when Bayonetta is summoning demons from her hair... hair that she was originally wearing as clothes... god, it's such an absurd series. Again, somehow through all of this, it's Taylor's memorable performance that brings all these elements together and makes Bayonetta actually work as a character, and gives her nuance.

The whole situation would be even more galling for Taylor, because she is the original Bayonetta voice, there was no Japanese voice option. She helped shape the character. I'm a huuuuge fan of Atsuko Tanaka, but her take on Bayonetta doesn't have that same level of deadpanned haughtiness. Had to go back to Taylor.

Obviously we have no context, but what on earth. Why change? Was it a Platinum or Nintendo decision? I guess we'll have to wait and see with more information.

Sounds like she's not under NDA to confirm whether or not she'll be voicing Bayonetta (she says she won't) but she is under NDA as to why she won't be.

Yeah, that's all I can get out of it.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
This, there usually are some NDAs in case of Falling out between actors and the rest of the staff to prevent the beans from being spilled and possibly hurt the image of the project.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
no idea how in the world are people equating a VA change with development troubles but it is clear that people just want the game to be in dev hell and are going to find any excuses to throw that out

she dies in the teaser trailer tho

Honestly, if you think things are going well thats far more insulting to platinum than the people who just assume the game was depriotized in favor of other projects. We assume that if platinum were actually working on the game then they'd have something to show for it.

4 years without an update and you think thats normal? That means your expectations for platinum are far lower than mine.

This isnt a innovative new IP, this isnt a game where platinum is stepping out of their comfort zone, this isnt a game where they're aiming for high end hardware and have to overhaul their tech, this is exactly the type of game platinum knows how to make. The fact that they're shipping all these other games while bayo 3 continues to go without a single scrap of evidence that they've even been working on the game will naturally lead people to question whats going on, its not some huge stretch or insult to platinum.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Was watching some past interviews of her and replaying bayonetta 1&2 she IS her really do not want another Kiefer situation

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
sounds to me like they just havent approached her yet, which means the game is still far away.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
This is such a weird tweet to post when you literally just said "the greatest gift of doing Bayonetta".

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I don't think she has been replaced, if the voice actors haven't done any work on the game, the game likely isn't being made or is in development hell, since Bayo 3 still hasn't even got any new footage or screenshots, plus devs are silent on it, im going to guess this game isn't happening anytime soon.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think she has been replaced, if the voice actors haven't done any work on the game, the game likely isn't being made or is in development hell, since Bayo 3 still hasn't even got any new footage or screenshots, plus devs are silent on it, im going to guess this game isn't happening anytime soon.
Devs literally said the game was progressing well and it's up to Nintendo to show it off like two days ago

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Always got the impression that voice acting is generally recorded fairly early in the development process, then they have additional recording sessions later to accomodate any changes that happened during development.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
This would be extremely disappointing. As others have already said, by all means she IS Bayonetta.

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
I would be crushed if they cast anyone but Hellena as Bayo, but I'm hoping it's all just some "stay tuned for the final game" misdirection and everything's going to be fine... Everything's going to be fine...

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Weeks): Hostility. Community metacommentary. Multiple prior bans for hostility.
Honestly, if you think things are going well thats far more insulting to platinum than the people who just assume the game was depriotized in favor of other projects. We assume that if platinum were actually working on the game then they'd have something to show for it.

4 years without an update and you think thats normal? That means your expectations for platinum are far lower than mine.

This isnt a innovative new IP, this isnt a game where platinum is stepping out of their comfort zone, this isnt a game where they're aiming for high end hardware and have to overhaul their tech, this is exactly the type of game platinum knows how to make. The fact that they're shipping all these other games while bayo 3 continues to go without a single scrap of evidence that they've even been working on the game will naturally lead people to question whats going on, its not some huge stretch or insult to platinum.

The hell is this gaslighting? Me saying that hard working devs, going on the record to talk about their own efforts, know better about the state of their own project than armchair era analysts who know jack shit about game development and prove it every single day is insulting PG? Do you know what's actually insulting? Calling them liars because you've decided that the project had to be botched for the sake of arguing online.

Jesus how do you even post that without feeling embarrassed. This is why everyone in the industry makes fun of this place, for posts like these.

Last edited:

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
yeesh, this coupled with bayonetta 3's lack of news and babylon's fall looking like crap isn't making platinum look good

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder just how much they'll be shaking up the game - I hope it's not just a re-cast.

Coming from somebody who didn't find Bayonetta 1 or 2 all that appealing, this certainly has me curious.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I don't think it's in development hell. I think Nintendo just has everyone under tight constraints about what can be said about their games before release. This is the case for most Nintendo games, not just Bayo.

I also don't want to read to much into her comment as confirmation she is not returning as Bayonetta. But I would be really disappointed if she doesn't return as Bayonetta.