• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping this isn't a monkey paw situation because even though I love the Del Toro films I really wanted a proper take on one of my favourite comic worlds. This doesn't even seem to have the charm of the previous two.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still gonna see this, and it might even be good, but this is NOT what I was hoping for AT ALL. All the talk about it being dark and hard R, then we get a trailer that shows what could be mistaken as another movie in the original franchise. Just make the fucking third movie if you're not gonna change it up that much. As others have said, hopefully this is just a case of the trailer house not knowing how to market this movie. It would be one thing to never get Hellboy 3 but get a very different take on the property instead, but it's just adding insult to injury if they never made Hellboy 3 but give us something with the same tone and flavor.

I've only read maybe half of all the Hellboy stories (I've bought my dad all the Library Editions) so I'm not super familiar with the story they're adapting here - where the hell is Abe? I'm reading comments saying it's "endgame Hellboy" stuff to have the crown and sword, but part of the trailer looks like Hellboy is being introduced to the BPRD... why wouldn't Abe be there? At all? Not even a hint or a glimpse?

I am having flashbacks to Kevin Feig saying his Ghostbusters was going to be scarier than the original.
FYI it was Paul Feig, Kevin is the guy at Marvel. To his credit, the original Answer the Call was going to be very, *very* different than what ended up on the screen. No StayPuft, no Slimer, no Proton Packs, no Ecto-1, no Firehouse, it was supposed to be its own unique thing. Then the backlash happened and Sony meddled the fuck out of it, and then he was constantly at odds with Melissa McCarthy on set, who wanted it to be much more in tune with The Real Ghostbusters than what Fieg wanted to make. Then once they finished, Sony forced them to cut it down even further to make sure it was under 2 hours, cutting out plot threads, character motivations, and even entire characters. I like Answer the Call, but its entire production and existence is kind of a travesty. For as different as it is, it would have at least been nice to see what Paul Feig's original vision would have been. Wish they'd made an "Art Of" book for it with all the development stuff.

Seriously, the makeup just looks so much better on Perlman here.
It really does, it doesn't even look like face makeup or anything he just looks like a portal opened into the real world and Hellboy stepped out. I'm so sad we're never gonna get the conclusion to that story ):

Mit-

Oct 26, 2017
Liked the trailer more than this thread led me to believe I would. Though yes that song can go. If you ignore the song and tone it implies, and try and just watch the scenes, I think the comedy looks a lot more in line with the comics.

Was excited to see him in the middle of some nice looking folksy fields fighting some monsters. I think there were several hints like this in the trailer that leads me to believe this will try and follow comics a bit more.

He looks better than I thought he would, and thank god he's putting the hair up in a bun.

Excited to see more.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
First impression wasn't amazing but on re-watches it's grown on me. I am a massive Hellboy fan so I will hold out hope for this to be good. Perlman was so great in the role it's going to take awhile for me to adapt.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Pfft. This looks like typical Millenium produced guff.

Shoot cheap and fast in Eastern Europe and overcharge in foreign territories.

And that new opening date, one week after Shazam and two weeks before Endgame, just screams 'distributor with no confidence in film dumps it".

But then again, it could be third time's a charm for this property given that it's on it's third film and THIRD distributor and financier.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yea well that was something..... I was excited for this movie until this trailer.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
God dammit. They should have shit canned this thing and let del Toro finish his trilogy.

I really don't know what to say other than this looks like a mediocre version of the previous movies.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Big fan of Del Toro's version and Pearlman in the role but I'm not feeling this.

The comedy doesn't do much for me.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
It looks ok to me

Yes I'll more than likely still prefer the original, but I'll still be keen to see how this one turns out.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
This looks good to me honestly. The originals were okay but never really stuck with me, I love Ron and all but he looked like a plastic red chimp in that makeup. Dude looks like a demon in this one. Bit too hard on the jokes, but given the directors prior stuff being so horror focused, I'm betting that those and the whole 'BAD ASS AF' schtick will be how the studio wants to advertise it rather than being super representive of the end.product.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
This looks good to me honestly. The originals were okay but never really stuck with me, I love Ron and all but he looked like a plastic red chimp in that makeup. Dude looks like a demon in this one. Bit too hard on the jokes, but given the directors prior stuff being so horror focused, I'm betting that those and the whole 'BAD ASS AF' schtick will be how the studio wants to advertise it rather than being super representive of the end.product.

Could be they're trying to get that sweet sweet Deadpool cash with this trailer, yeah. I hope.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like one of those action movies in January no one watches like that Jeremy Renner Hansel & Gretel movie.
If this ends up half as good as Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, I'll be shocked.

Bit too hard on the jokes, but given the directors prior stuff being so horror focused, I'm betting that those and the whole 'BAD ASS AF' schtick will be how the studio wants to advertise it rather than being super representive of the end.product.
This is the only thing keeping me hopeful.

I love Neil Marshall. Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Doomsday, and Centurion are all great(and his television work is quite excellent as well), so it has to be a case of terribly misguided trailer. It has to be. Pretty please.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I love Neil Marshall. Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Doomsday, and Centurion are all great(and his television work is quite excellent as well), so it has to be a case of terribly misguided trailer. It has to be. Pretty please.
Yeah the fact that Marshall is so talented and seemed like a great match for material gives me a shred of hope that this was just a terrible traile

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
6cb96a8ff274a2d73895715843c95409.jpg

yea it is. there's a lot of silent gloominess and other times violent and grotesque stuff.

Dark ? Mignola OWNS the shadows on comics
Like if you want to make a comic that uses shadows you have to pay copyright to him because he is the king of shadows

enCCLlL.png

3d statues based on his work have shadows painted on it because Mignola shadows better than reality

The Leewit

Oct 27, 2017
Oof. It seems like a painting drained of its colors, leaving a lifeless husk, devoid of a soul and heart. Del Toro and gang can rest easy knowing their version of Hellboy remains my fave.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
this trailer kind of lost me,

and i hadn't realized how much i would be judging him against ron pearlman's hellboy

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Yeeeeeah..... I'm not really feeling it. Too comedic and the musical choice for the trailer made it seem lighter than the source material. It still might turn out to be good, but it looks really cheap.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Looks fine to me, I'm just disappointed that it looks exactly like the del Toro version. Even Harbour sounds just like Perlman. Wasn't this supposed to lean further into the darker, horror vibe of the comics?

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Daniel Dae Kim attempting a British accent sure is something. Why is Daimio even British in this?

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the complete tonal shift from what we were promised but what the fuck is that makeup?

Seriously, the deadites from the first Evil Dead looked better. Why does he look like he's wearing an Edgar mask? What happened to this?

djoo94uumaazvnj_-_p_2017.jpg

I was wondering this myself. He looks amazing there. Looks like he's wearing a thin latex mask in the trailer.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
That glamour shot of Hellboy probably looks as good as it does because the people taking the picture probably spent a few minutes getting the lighting right. In the trailer everything has the most drab and lifeless lighting imaginable, even just the thumbnail for the trailer is a big ol' "Why?" all by itself.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Okayyyy...

Either the tone of the trailer is lying and this movie is darker than it appears, or the tone of the movie was changed but Harbour's Hellboy look was kept darker. Either way it's a poor fit and a bad trailer.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Theres like no identity

I mean, I guess it's not like Del Toro's movies because it looks shittier in every way. But whats the point? It doesn't seem more faithful to the original work either.

I guess it has more quips now?

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
How is this reboot trailer worse than the original movie? And I liked the original. This feels...lackluster for some reason.